Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Anyone do pine needle crafts?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Anyone do pine needle crafts? Next Topic  

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  08:08:24 AM  Show Profile
We will be going to our Montana cabin in a few weeks and everytime I go there, I am overwhelmed by the amount of pine trees and pine needles we have. I would love to do something with them, like pine needle basketry or weaving, but really don't have a clue about it. Any of you ever done crafts with pine needles or any tips on when you're supposed to gather them? Thanks!

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  08:35:23 AM  Show Profile
No I dont, but I love the tiny pine needle baskets. I did google it and found this... http://www.nwbasketweavers.org/pnbaskets/index.html

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com
www.Botanical-Bath.com

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  11:58:07 AM  Show Profile
yep I di pine needle baskets, the best thing is to find a copy of Jeannie McFarlands pine needle basket book, get the first one not the advanced.She has the best pics and directions.
remember they have to be long needle pine trees. They do take a while to make, not just a vacation thing. hours and hours of fine work.but pick some up and take home, for further use. you can put them into straight bundles and rubber band them so they dont take up space.
Shirley
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  2:49:08 PM  Show Profile
I make pine needle baskets. I have several in progress I hope to finish and sell in my etsy over the summer.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  2:53:21 PM  Show Profile
I pick up needles off the ground and soak them over night in a soap and water solution just in case there is any animal stuff on them. I then lay them out to dry and bundle them up until I am ready to use. (Make sure they are DRY or they will rot. When I am ready to use them I soak them in a tub of clean water over night to soften them up a little so they are easier to work with. I bind my baskets with Raffia and Upholstry thread depending on the look I am going for. I Use a 2 inch piece of a Sonic straw (there nice and big) to help me "thread" the needles into my projetc. I have a great resource in my classroom at school. I will try to remember and look on monday and tell you what it is called.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  7:07:24 PM  Show Profile
I made one basket out of pine needles. It still hangs in my kitchen. I used raffia to bind it together. If I was going to make a second one (I'm not) I would make my stitches closer together. I made this basket 15 years ago. Every holiday when I have my grown daughters and their families over for a meal, they have to have the biscuits in the pine needle basket... They all laugh about it, but it is a tradition now...

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  9:07:55 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to see your all's baskets! Post a picture! Sounds really neat!

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

www.mikkijo.etsy.com

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  2:12:17 PM  Show Profile
Mikki I have a small (like ring size) basket and a couple of pot holders around. I will try to take picks to send to you.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  2:19:19 PM  Show Profile
Please, post them so we can see!!
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  4:38:50 PM  Show Profile
I attended a pine needle basket workshop a few years ago and made small one. It was held at the museum I worked at, and the First Nations (native)lady that taught it was from Interior BC where it was a traditional craft. I think we used fake sinew to stitch with.. Mine was a little wobbly, and boy! was it finicky exacting work, but a really neat thing to learn.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  5:01:49 PM  Show Profile
Julie, what is sonic straw?
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  08:09:31 AM  Show Profile
Sonic is a restaurant chain. They have really big drinking straws.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  08:26:45 AM  Show Profile
That is so funny!! I was thinking straw like hay straw and I was thinking sonic was like an artificial type of straw. I saw Sonics when I was with DH in San Diego but I didn't save any straws!!I'm gonna be chuckling about that all day.!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Anyone do pine needle crafts? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page