Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Tatting everything that is not nailed down!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Tatting everything that is not nailed down! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  12:31:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
I have been gone for a couple of days....at my son's graduation from College in North Carolina. With a little down time in the hotel and car, I taught myself to tat....what fun! I love it! Unfortunately, I could not do it on the plane....they surely would have confiscated the needle as it is about 5 inches long and probably would have been viewed as a lethal weapon. Well, anyways, now I am ready to order some hankies and tat the edges!!!! Anybody else try it? What do you think?

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Check out my shoppe at www.honeybeez.etsy.com
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com

Harmony
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

USA
25 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  12:33:10 PM  Show Profile
I've been working on learning to crochet, but tatting is next on my list of things to learn! It looks like a lot of fun!

"Have a belief in yourself bigger than anyone's disbelief." -- August Wilson
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  1:23:24 PM  Show Profile
Are you needle tatting or using a shuttle? My mom tryed to show me with a shuttle but looked to hard for me. I can't wait to see pictures!!!
~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

www.mikkijo.etsy.com

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  4:56:24 PM  Show Profile
I taught myself to tat several years ago, though I never actually MADE anything. I have two shuttles; a metal one and a plastic one. I'm thinking about digging them up (from where ever I stored them!) and picking up on it again.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  5:01:24 PM  Show Profile
I took a class in tatting the summer of 1980 thinking I would tat the lace for my wedding dress. Well, I caught on to using a shuttle, but I think I miscalculated how much time it might actually take to get it done for that October wedding! I love tatted things, but I don't think I'll be starting a project any time soon!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  5:09:43 PM  Show Profile
I would like to learn to do that too. Its such fine work. But like you Bev, I would probably be tatting everything in site. Why is there tatting on the fridge? and I will not have a clear answer.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  8:21:31 PM  Show Profile
I needle tat and love it. I taught myself about 15 years ago, and have been in love with it.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  8:22:49 PM  Show Profile
oh yeah one quick and easy thing I like to do is decorate envelopes and stationary with tatted things, like lions, butterflies, and flowers. Use markers/pens for accenting.
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  10:16:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
I am needle tatting too......now I have lacey stuff to put on.....everything...but I will need to get busy if I am going to decorate the refrigerator!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jendada
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Jen
Ellendale MN
USA
15 Posts

Posted - May 15 2007 :  7:44:01 PM  Show Profile
My grandma used to tat the most beautiful doilies and lace. Her hands would just fly with that shuttle!! She tried to teach me years ago but I never got the hang of it. I think I have her shuttle tucked away in a box somewhere. Maybe I should try it again sometime.
Jen
Go to Top of Page

Daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Daisy
Thistle Sprig Farm NW Indiana
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 15 2007 :  7:51:02 PM  Show Profile
I am a shuttle tatter but after getting my new MJ's Stitching book last night I'm going to attempt to give needle tatting a try. She makes it look so easy! LOL However we shall see!!

Jana you mentioned tatting lace for your wedding dress. I didn't do lace for the dress but for my wedding I did tat hundreds of flowers that we intermingled with silk flowers. They were quite beautiful but for weeks all my mom and I did was tat flowers!! Not something I plan on attempting any time soon!

My great grandmother was a tatter and now several of my second cousins tat trying to continue her legacy. I can't tell you how thrilled I was to see tatting in the Stitching Book!

Daisy
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - May 15 2007 :  9:10:08 PM  Show Profile
So does needle tatting seem to be easier than shuttle tatting? I may try the needle tatting...
~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

www.mikkijo.etsy.com

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - May 16 2007 :  04:17:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
I think the needle tatting was truly easy, but I have never tried the shuttle. Just an FYI....the is a great tatting website...they have everything for tatting and a ton of books at www.hhtatting.com

Keep Smiling.....Bev
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com , www.beehavenmaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  2:22:58 PM  Show Profile
I think it's easy too. I taught myself in about one day when I was only about 14 years old! I thought it was pretty easy. Never tried shuttle tatting though, so can't compare. But, I think just about any one should be able to needle tat.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  3:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
needle tatting is way easier but it is also a looser knot and not as clean when adding threads to. But if you want the same look and don't know how to shuttle tat yes learn needle tatting it is fun and gives a similar look.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

Daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Daisy
Thistle Sprig Farm NW Indiana
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  06:06:14 AM  Show Profile
I'm agreeing sunshine. On the needle I'm having a hard time getting it past the eye neatly. It looks great on the needle but trying to get it over the eye it wants to all seperate forcing it to be looser even though it goes back together but when it goes back together it's not at neat. I did use the largest needle that came in my set so maybe that's my trouble. However looking at all my sizes the eye is larger on all of them. How do I pull it nice and tight yet still get it successfully over the eye?

I am thinking that needle tatting is a good way to start tatting though. You get an understanding of the basic concepts, then if you want to shuttle tat You just need to learn a few fine tuned points.
I think this is how I will teach my daughters.

Daisy
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  06:32:36 AM  Show Profile
I taught myself to tat last year. I have my great-great grandmother's shuttles and some of her thread. (although it's very brittle and I don't want to use it!) It took me two weeks to get the "flip" needed to make everything slide, but once you catch it, it's super easy. I made a small Bunnies in the Lettuce Patch bookmark and the basket has been hanging on it's hook ever since. How does one go about fitting in all of the crafts that they want to accomplish? I cannot seem to find the time!
I must try needle tatting though- it looks like a lot of fun.

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  09:36:01 AM  Show Profile
I tried shuttle tatting about 10 years ago and just about pulled my head bald in the process! Wow, was I frustrated. It really surprised me because I've crocheted and knitted since I was a little girl, but this was a whole different story. You just may have convinced me to give needle tatting a try if it's a little easier. If it's not, I'll post a picture of my bald head.LOL
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  09:45:29 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
needle tatting is tons easier especially if you knit. Shuttle tatting is easy but you have to have the right teacher or be very good at reading diagrams. Also if you try to learn shuttle tatting start by making chains and not rings most people start on the rings and until you get the knot right a ring will drive you crazy. once you have figured out the knot on a chain then switch to a ring. also start with two thread colors for a shuttle this way you know what thread is doing what and can see what they are doing and if the knot is flipping or not.

Edited by - sunshine on May 19 2007 09:54:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  09:52:47 AM  Show Profile
Yep, you're right. The lady that was trying to teach me started with the rings. Now I'm excited to try the needle. Hope they have the needles at Joanne's - it's the only place for stuff like that in the area and once I decide to try something I CAN'T wait to order it online!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  09:55:17 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
you should be able to pick up needle tatting seriously in less than an hour especially if you knit. It is pretty much a cast on a little bit strange cast on but a cast on all the same supper easy

Edited by - sunshine on May 19 2007 10:58:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  3:39:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Sherri.....I promise you will not go bald doing needle tatting! Try it!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com , www.beehavenmaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  5:24:32 PM  Show Profile
Just got back from Olympia and neither Michael's or JoAnne's had any needle tatting needles. I asked and they said they'd never heard of it so I told them that they probably would be getting some more requests soon because there was a really great new book out that included a big section on needle tatting. They were unimpressed. LOL I guess I need to order online.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  7:00:42 PM  Show Profile
I found a website for the needles. What size would you recommend for learning?
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  8:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
any size lots of times you can buy them in a set with lots of sizes together it is easy so you may want more than one size.

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 20 2007 :  1:00:11 PM  Show Profile
Guess what! I went to the little local V & S Variety Store today and they had about 4 running feet of tatting supplies! Who would haveguessed? They had individual needles in all different sizes and a kit, like you described sunshine, that had 4 needes and a needle tatting book for $12. Each needle was over $4 so I got the kit. Sounds like trouble to me - my poor scarf may be put on the back burner while I learn this new craft........
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Tatting everything that is not nailed down! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page