Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 my kids love Bluegrass music, anyone else?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic my kids love Bluegrass music, anyone else? Next Topic  

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  2:18:55 PM  Show Profile
I am curious if anyone has children who are into Bluegrass music. I would like to know what they enjoy listening to as I would like to pick up some cds for my kids. And it would be nice for them to know other kids share the enjoyment.

Thanks,

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  7:12:37 PM  Show Profile
I love it!

My baby is only 8 months old but loves music. lol But, I don't know who her favs are yet. lol

But, I do know we will be going to Silver Dollar City's Bluegrass fest. If you go to their site, they have several links to a lot of different bluegrass bands they will have playing at the fest. And I liked a lot of them! silverdollarcity.com then click on fest or something like that and look for the bbq and bluegrass fest.
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  07:04:20 AM  Show Profile
Alrighty! Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  08:17:15 AM  Show Profile
Welcome. I really enjoyed going to all the different bands sites, and listening to bits of their music. I made a list of ones I want to see and buy their cds.
Go to Top of Page

Beecharmer
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kelly
Richland WA
USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  8:51:52 PM  Show Profile
My kids don't know Bluegrass. They grew up on the Beatles. My son is now 12 and I can still put him to sleep by simply playing "Blackbird" a couple of times in a row. It is the weidest thing to watch. Mad, cranky, rambuctious, you name it, turn on Blackbird and he almost melts before your eyes.
Both of my kids are embarrassed that they know all the words to almost every Beatles song ever released. They will sing in the car with me, but won't admit it to anyone else.
It's our special secret :)
Kelly

GrayHawk Farm
Prosser, WA
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  9:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Well I listen to Alison Krauss (to bad I can't spell her name...lol) ALL the time. Dolly Parton has some nice blue grass and I think even George Strait has a few nice one's out there.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  01:14:34 AM  Show Profile
I adore bluegrass...some of my kids like it some don't. The girls do and the boys don't actually. One of my big boys likes it too. My youngest son LOVEs Charlie Daniel's "The devil went down to Georgia (I know thats not bluegrass) and always asks to play that CD in the car. He calls it the Devil went down to St. George though..heehee.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  03:27:14 AM  Show Profile
My son is 12 and really picked up on Bluegrass the last year. I will have to check out what we listen to, b/c we pick most of it up on the radio. He loves Johnny Horton, but I don't think he's considered bluegrass!
Love that your children are into it!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  05:13:15 AM  Show Profile
I live in NYC, we have no country or bluegrass stations, but I do have satelite radio. I find on those stations it's hit and miss what I like. I prefer cds.

I grew up going to the ozarks all the time, so I have always been exposed to it and always loved it! :)
Go to Top of Page

BackyardTreasures
True Blue Farmgirl

189 Posts

Anne
Connecticut
USA
189 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  06:05:58 AM  Show Profile

I like Alison Krauss too. (you did spell it right,catscharm) And another big name in bluegrass is Ricky Skaggs. My husband used to play in a bluegrass band before we were married.

~~Anne

www.homesteadblogger.com/BackyardTreasures
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  06:49:41 AM  Show Profile
Yes, my daughter is the same way with any Bluegrass music! She loves it and then she zonks out and that is wonderful!!! She is hard to unwind. But, like they say, "Music soothes the savage beast!" : )

quote:
Originally posted by Beecharmer

My kids don't know Bluegrass. They grew up on the Beatles. My son is now 12 and I can still put him to sleep by simply playing "Blackbird" a couple of times in a row. It is the weidest thing to watch. Mad, cranky, rambuctious, you name it, turn on Blackbird and he almost melts before your eyes.
Kelly

Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  06:51:26 AM  Show Profile
Yes, we were listening to Ricky Skaggs. I guess we should look it up on the net or go to the library. I'm excited that my kids like it. I think it's a very cool music genre.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  07:12:05 AM  Show Profile
Ricky Skaggs is one of my favorites..and I grew up with Johnny Horton (the music not the person..heehee) Bonnie. I can sing all his songs by heart..one of my dad's favorites.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  07:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
my dh and i played in a bluegrass band for 8 years here in texas several years ago and it was great fun.
there are several bluegrass festivals in oklahoma and texas and if you take the kids to them all the performers will have their own cds and the kids will get to see"regular" folks playing the music.
ususally children under 12 get in for free, and in this part of the country the festivals are drug and alcohol free and very family friendly. (not so in some parts of the country where the festivals serve beer and are sponsered by beer companies).
also i would check with local oprys and also see if there is a bluegrass club in your part of oklahoma.
here in bonham, we have a opry house, and they have bluegrass about 6 times a year, also gospel, and old country.
on may 26, the barn will have a group from arkansas called the earls brothers, they have been playing together for many years, probably around 30 and have beautiful harmony.
the admission is free but they do take donations, and of course the band sells their cds. if bonham, texas is not far from you in oklahoma iwould recommend the event for some good family fun.
if you are interested in going email me and i will send you a phone number and directions.
the bluegrass world is funny to me, it is truly grassroots and if you are unaware of it it seems rare and obscure, but once you are aware of it , it is everywhere and goes on all around you.
the bluegrass festivals are a lot of fun and combine camping, the country, good music and great fellowship.
my experience is that it is a great environment for children
thanks for giving me the chance to reminecse about one of my favorite subjects.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

greentea
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Alicia
Wisconsin
USA
76 Posts

Posted - May 16 2007 :  1:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Send greentea an AOL message  Send greentea a Yahoo! Message
my 9 mo old likes Ricky Skaggs. When he was itty bitty, and we couldn't figure out why he was fussing, my DH, who used to be in a bluegrass band, would put on Skaggs, and it would calm our son down right away. :)

My son doesn't seem to like classical music, which is what he heard in utero...I'm an oboist.
Go to Top of Page

dewdrop sewing
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Christine
Mount Vernon OH
USA
9 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  03:55:46 AM  Show Profile  Send dewdrop sewing an AOL message
We are big bluegrass fans here in Ohio - a new group that you might enjoy is King Wilkie, several of the guys in the band graduated from college with me, they've got a great sound. In addition to bluegrass my kids love to listen to "cowboy" music, I was hooked on it by Ian Tyson, and if you have iTunes you can get an entire station of it on their radio selections.
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  06:20:08 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dewdrop sewing

We are big bluegrass fans here in Ohio - a new group that you might enjoy is King Wilkie, several of the guys in the band graduated from college with me, they've got a great sound. In addition to bluegrass my kids love to listen to "cowboy" music, I was hooked on it by Ian Tyson, and if you have iTunes you can get an entire station of it on their radio selections.

Oh yeah, mine love "cowboy" music too. That's funny. Thanks! I will look into your suggestions.

I gotta get some music ready for our car-trip this June!

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  06:44:07 AM  Show Profile
There is a family here locally which formed it's own bluegrass band. Only the kids play in it - I think there are five of them. They play at fairs and local events. They are great - teenagers down to about 7 years old.
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  07:07:02 AM  Show Profile
My father raised me on Bluegrass...as a kid I used to dance around the house to Ricky Skaggs' "Country Boy".... so I would recommend picking up some Ricky. I STILL love Bluegrass and am glad I have the Bluegrass channel on Sirius - it's great!

check out my blog: http://catholiccountrygirl.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  07:02:00 AM  Show Profile
Mine is 10 months old and appears to really like opera. I'm serious. We play him opera records and he giggles.
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  09:30:31 AM  Show Profile
That's too cute! He would probably like the Baby Einstein dvds and stuff.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·. http://boinglink.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  4:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I guess I am not the only "young-un" who loves Ricky. He has always been one of my mom's favories and I just grew up listening to him. I also love folk music and southern/country gospel. I think Charlie Daniels version of "I'll Fly Away" is my all time favorite hymn (although Johnny Cash did some great gospel songs too). My kids love it all. They have never listened to "childrens music" but will ask for Johnny and Andy Griffith several times a day. Oh, and I second the vote for Allison Krauss.

Trina

http://glitteringgoat.blogspot.com/

If you would know Love, you must know pain too. -Hannah Hurnard
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  9:26:27 PM  Show Profile
We LOVE Elizabeth Mitchell (her little bird album)- well I guess she is really folk...magical;)She sings some songs in spanish that are amazing as well (I just crumble when I hear my little one singing about los pollitos

her weblink is below- you can sample her music;)

Rebekka

youaremyflower.org

Nature does not ask permission. Blossom and birth whenever you feel like it!

Clarissa Pinkola Estes
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic my kids love Bluegrass music, anyone else? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page