Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  6:21:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! I never realized before how much a growth spurt could turn a household upside down! I feel so bad for my baby when she is just sobbing her eyes out and there is _nothing_ I can do to help- just holding and rocking and trying to get her to nurse.

Luckily it looks like her growth spurt is passing a bit at a time. She is starting to go back to the easy to soothe baby that I was used to. She has been sleeping just a tad less, but that is wonderful to! It is so fun to see her starting to visually explore the world around her and she rolled over all by herself on Saturday!

Alee

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  7:35:01 PM  Show Profile
Yay....Good for Nora---rolling over I mean. A real milestone. Babies are ever changing. Just when you think you have a schedule for them down pat they change and and do something different. Not only are they learning new things but Mom is too. Give her a hug for me. Marybeth

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on May 02 2007 11:06:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  04:31:19 AM  Show Profile
Aren't they a marvel!? Congrats Nora(and Alee)!

Mandi

" Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler " -Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  07:24:48 AM  Show Profile
Alee, thanks so much for sharing. It reminds me of the wonder of it all again. Thanks for the refresher course on beautiful babies. I'll look at my DD through your eyes today and be sure to marvel.
Thank you!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  07:27:03 AM  Show Profile
Hmmmm..........Babies ARE amazing! But ... usually a growth spurt only involves nursing more, not sobbing her eyes out? Tummy aches? Teething? And you're right, just sit down and nurse her - let the rest slide this stage is SO short!!

Blessings,

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  10:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I was told by the doctor that it is normal for some kids to react this way to growth spurts. She is a bit young for teething- only 6 weeks. I know it does happen sometimes, but I don't see any changes in her gums. We are using the tummy drops (mylicon) when she is upset incase it is gas. So far she is gaining perfectly on schedule and normally is very content. I am sure it is just a phase.

BTW- She screamed for 3 hours last night and finally fell asleep, but tonight she only cried for a little while- maybe 20 min.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
222 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  05:43:54 AM  Show Profile
Riley screamed and screamed when he was going through growth spurts. My girls were different. Your doing a great job Alee. Nora's just figuring things out. She's still ticked off that she isn't in her nice warm mommy's tummy. She'll get over it and then she'll be a teenager...

Mandi

" Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler " -Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  05:46:49 AM  Show Profile
My Kids are all near or at the 40 year mark, and they still grow and change everyday, once a Mother always a Mother, I just told my 36 year old daughter the other day that the bedskirt on the bed goes between the mattress and springs, not on top of the mattress. She called me and wanted to know why the bedskirt was so short. Those sweet little ones with the chubby legs and arms don't stay that way long, so give all those little wrinkles lots of kisses.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
222 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  05:49:18 AM  Show Profile
What did your daughter say? Thanks for my morning giggle Nancy! I can hear my mother's voice!

Mandi

Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  10:22:14 AM  Show Profile
It sounds more like colic than a growing spurt. My granddaugher was like that about Nora's age. She would just cry and cry and sometimes scream. We rocked her and walked her and bounced her and rubbed her tummy and she finally outgrew it. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  2:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for all the support Ladies! Sometimes it is hard to keep your focus when they cry so much. I just wish she could tell me what was wrong so I could fix it! :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  7:24:28 PM  Show Profile
My son used to have colic in the mornings (gotta be different!) and he liked to be on top of the portable dishwasher because it was warm and vibrated. Some people have had luck with the dryer... same theory. Might be worth a try!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  09:48:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Here is an update :)

Last night I breastfeed Nora until she was getting frustrated because she wasn't getting enough, then we gave her a bottle (3oz) which she drained dry. She was still fussy, changed her diaper several times, hugged her, cuddled her, let her have floor time, and within 1 1/2 hours from her 3 oz bottle, we finally heated another one up because she was still fussy and was nursing again. So she drank a second 3oz bottle!

So much for her stomach being the size of her fist! Either that or she processes breastmilk at lightning speed!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  10:07:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh I remember this well with my DS... I felt like I was nursing him all the time when he was growing. I personally could not stand be sucked on more than every two hours I just had to have a break now and again! but the good news is, that if you let the baby nurse often the milk supply gets built up, so then they can learn to nurse longer at a stretch and hopefully go longer between sessions :) So unles you are pumping to fill the bottles I'd be careful about supplementing, otherwise you might have trouble naturally building up the more milk babykins is demanding :)

I commend you for being so patient... I never realized how hard breastfeeding is, even though I grew up with a nursing mom and five siblings (she nursed each 'till about two years old).

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  3:12:19 PM  Show Profile
Actually breast milk metabs much faster then formula is what the videos at the hospital said. And a formula fed baby needs like every 3 to 4 hours. A bfed one may need as often as every 20 minutes during growth spurts, so you have to go by their cues. They will not eat if they are not hungry. The eating if you aren't hungry won't start till at least 3 years old, and is a learnedd behavoir (you know being forced to eat every thing on their plate) But, a baby naturally will only eat till full, and will not if they are full. So never worry about "over" feeding. My first reaction is always a bottle.

I dont' know how true this is, but I read some where that colic starts, I believe at 6 weeks, and last for 6 hours a day for 6 months. Or it could have been three....lol 3 weeks, 3 hours, 3 months. But, I can't remember. I didn't keep that in the old brain bank after mine went past that! lol However, Lela did start teething right away! Every one said I was "crazy" when I told them. Then they would see her and say she IS teething, you are right!!!!! (well yeah you could see the teethes coming through!) And that was at only a few weeks old. I have to say it's making things easier now at 8 months that that is behind us!

I also found the colic tablets by that hyb....something works better then the liquid for us. I only have to use them after she has been at her grandparents.......I'm not sure what is different there, but she always seems to not feel well that first night after visiting them.
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  5:48:27 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I think it sounds like sweet baby Nora could be getting colic, too.
My Chloe was the best, sleepy baby until that six week mark, then, screaming, angry and needy....a very high need baby.

I actually prefer the term "high need" over colic.

The biggest help for me were the Dr. Christopher's kiddycol drops, they are catnip and fennel, completely safe and available at almost all health food stores...Get em!
the other thing that helped us a TON were Mama eliminating dairy from my diet. It helped with in 48 hours or so...then I would try "just a little" yogurt or icecream, and we would have to pull an all-nighter!

Go to your library and check out Dr.Sears book called Parenting the Fussy Baby and High-need child...It was a life saver!

Oh, and get a sling!

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  8:40:55 PM  Show Profile
a sling is a great idea -- there was a thread earlier, I personally loved my Maya Wrap. Some babies just need to nurse more. Like 45min to an hour at a time! Then do it again in an hour.... try not to supplement if you can it's a vicious cycle to start especially when she's still so little! I know it can be draining and nerve wracking (my eldest was an every hour and a half nurser and Daddy was in Korea) but you can do it and TRULY it will not last forever.

So to wrap up what I've seen on here: nurse, nurse, nurse (and ignore everything else), try the colic tabs from Hylands along with heat & vibration, get a sling and carry her more (NO you can NOT spoil a wee one this age), try an elimination diet(dairy especially) and relax. Oh and drink lots of water, fenugreek tea and walk!! ;)

Blessings,

Holly

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  9:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi ladies!

Thanks for all the great advice. We are still plugging away at it. :) I am not ready to supplement with food or formula so we are going to keep doing the breastfeeding routine. She does get breast milk in a bottle when her dad takes care of her to give me a break or when just really have to get some sleep. She seems to be doing better tonight. She has been sleeping for a couple hours now after eating 6 ounces!! I am also pumping to try and boost my production ahead of her desires so we can cut down on her aggravation level as much as possible.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
222 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  6:41:19 PM  Show Profile
Alee,

There is an interesting article in Wondertime about dealing with hard to comfort babies. It looks interesting. If nothing else it is a great magazine. I hope Nora is snuggly tonight...

Mandi

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  6:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Things have really turned around since I broke out the Snugli and started wearing her more. I think she is just so ultra cuddly that she hates getting put down and that just escalades everything more. She is still eating a lot but she now is only getting breastmilk in the bottle when her dad is home alone with her. No more cheating from me ;)

I know that if you let them sit in the Snugli's too much it can hurt their spine so I found a pattern to make a sling and I am going to try really hard to make one tonight. I have a few yards of fabric that I was going to make more diapers out of, but I think the sling is a priority.

I can't wait to walk around with a pink sling with little butterflies all over it! :) It will be so cute. I love buying the cute flannels. They have such great patterns! I might even make one that is flannel on the inside and this beautiful brown and gold chinese brocade on the other. :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  3:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nora is growing so big! I haven't weighed her for a while, but I am sure she is over 9lbs if not closer to 10! She has really good neck control. She can support her own head when I pick her up or hold her in my lap. Sometimes when she wants to look at things she lets it roll a little bit, but she is getting better every day!

She is giving us these great big wonderful grins! It is so amazing to see my baby smiling back at me! She also is getting a lot more noises. I love the happy coos and excited squeals! It is tempting to just walk around with the camera and never put it down!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  3:59:35 PM  Show Profile
how precious. they do grow fast.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  5:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
bumping for Summerbreeze!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

ACountryGirl
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Nannie
Ca
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  3:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Send ACountryGirl an AOL message  Send ACountryGirl a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

Wow! I never realized before how much a growth spurt could turn a household upside down! I feel so bad for my baby when she is just sobbing her eyes out and there is _nothing_ I can do to help- just holding and rocking and trying to get her to nurse.

Luckily it looks like her growth spurt is passing a bit at a time. She is starting to go back to the easy to soothe baby that I was used to. She has been sleeping just a tad less, but that is wonderful to! It is so fun to see her starting to visually explore the world around her and she rolled over all by herself on Saturday!

Alee

that is awesome~ They grow so fast! it is such a joy to watch the world thru our babie's eyes :-)

Nannie
http://acountrywoman.blogspot.com/ www.homesteadblogger.com/AStitchinTime
Live Laugh Love much!
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  4:17:17 PM  Show Profile
I know this sounds crazy, but you are going to look back and miss these bittersweet moments. I look at my 18year old Jon and sometimes wish he were back in my arms nursing and fussing. When they are little all the problems are little ones...then they grow up...enjoy

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  10:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nora is now just shy of 14lbs. Last night she slept for 11 hrs straight! No feeding, fussing or anything! I checked on her quite a bit because I couldn't believe that she was staying asleep for so long!!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Nora and growing Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page