synapases
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

sherrie
san francisco california
USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  10:42:34 AM  Show Profile
hello! i'm new to farmgirl chats but i love maryjane books, magazines and ideas. does anyone have any suggestions about building up strength that'd ease the pain when i go on extended walks? i have pretty bad arthritis in my lower joints.

farmgirl at heart
my cause: afghans for afghans

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  10:43:54 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Sherrie...I have athritis in my knees and would love suggestions too. Ugh..it is a pain isn't it???

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  10:02:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sherrie.....Welcome! I hope we get lots of suggestions for this thread because I'm about ready to head back to the Dr. for help with my knees. I am really trying to lose some weight as I know that isn't helping matters! But being sore and achy makes it hard to do much of anything! Is it mostly in your knees? Cindy

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  8:50:15 PM  Show Profile
Same here, I hurt real bad in my hips too though. I don't take anything except advil and that just don't do the trick.
~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

www.mikkijo.etsy.com

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

synapases
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

sherrie
san francisco california
USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 15 2007 :  7:50:38 PM  Show Profile
thank you all for your welcomes! i just got out of splints and canes alittle over a month ago, and now i'm trying to build up by walking around the city. 1-2 miles if they're fairly level aren't too bad. i bought a hiking pole, and with my new orthotics(anyone else think they feel like large ball in your shoes?) i'm going to try and pick up distance. i hope everyone has good luck with their walks.

farmgirl at heart
my cause: afghans for afghans
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  05:01:28 AM  Show Profile
There are several safe herbal things to try. Bromelain, turmeric, and ginger all help, as well as does capsaicin. These are natural anti-inflammatories. I don't know of any side effects with these, and you can take them daily with a wide margin of safety. You might also look into an adaptogenic herb called jiaogulan; it's used a lot in Chinese medicine. It increases circulation. I'm assuming you're doing joint support nutraceuticals like glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, and MSM? These work on rebuilding and preserving joints, not just masking pain.

Advil, Motrin, aspirin, and other OTC anti-inflammatories work, but they have a trade-off in being really tough on the stomach and intestines. Besides causing ulcers over time, they can give you tiny little ones that bleed just bits. Just because you don't feel pain doesn't mean there isn't bleeding. These meds are really not best for daily use without a doctor's direction.

Sherrie, the more you do, the more you can do. Arthritis hurts more in the beginning, and abates as you go. If you just start out doing what you like, and do it slowly to warm up, over time you'll find that it gets easier. I have arthritis too, and sometimes it really stinks, but I can still do most all my activities.

And yeah, getting rid of any extra weight is a good idea too. Why overload these already stressed joints?
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic osteoarthritis Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page