Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  7:34:09 PM  Show Profile
The weather has been nice for the past week, so I have been outside everyday from 7:00am until dark. I have the worst farmer's tan and my hands are dry from dirt and washing them so much. I've planted 35 new roses this year and added a pond and 5 new flower beds. I even made a chicken topiary today. As soon as I get caught up mulching, I will be able to sit back and enjoy the flowers. Well, after I paint the inside of the chicken house. Except, then it will be time to plant the rest of the vegitable garden, then I'll probably have to weed and mow again. Oh well, at least I love it.

http://love-in-a-mist-shannon.blogspot.com/

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  9:29:09 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I am exhausted just reading what you have been doing. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  10:00:03 PM  Show Profile
WOW!!! Shannon slow down. You're making the rest of us look bad. LOL I was weedeating this evening and broke the weedeater. Oh boy was I in trouble. DH was not a happy camper this evening. So I got a couple of tools out and fixed it, amazing what a farmgirl can do. Just getting warm enough here in Yakima to start the garden. Looks like I'll be busy this weekend. But I'll never catch up with you. Enjoy the roses, I love mine.
Mary

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  10:57:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh Shannon, you just broke me up. I have the coolest farmer's tan you've ever seen...half-tanned arms and face, and legs that look like they belong to a ghost! Scary sight!
Seems we have waited and waited for the warm weather and now that it has FINALLY arrived, we have to get everything done NOW! I have about a third of the garden planted, a greenhouse full of bedding plants begging to be let out and two composts shovelled out and restarted. I did manage to get our ponds restarted a couple of weeks ago, only to find one of them has a leak. Great...I'll put that on the list of "to-do's", fortunately it's just in the waterfall.
I still need to fire up the power washer and wash off winter's grime, scrub out the chicken coop, net the strawberries and get the brooder ready for a batch of meat birds. This time of year my list seems longer than the days to get it all done. Like you say, it's a good thing we love it.
Di

oh...I found the second best thing (next to honey) for dry cracked fingers. Lanolin breast cream for nursing mothers. Seriously works! LOL
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  11:47:08 PM  Show Profile
Yep , gotta make hay while the sun shines,espeically in Washington.
I weeded for 2 days straight last week end, couldnt move for a couple days,we planted about a forth of the garden today.
Have any of you planted tamatoes yet, well we did today, they were just getting to big in the greenhouse. sure hope it doesnt get to cold or freeze now.
This darn arthritis is putting a cramp in my style, I used to do lots more gardening for longer periods of time. keep those fingers in the dirt!
shirley
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  03:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
I am heading out to plant our garden today.....frost warnings seem to be over,so I think it is finally safe. I probably shouldn't have read this thread before going out, Shannon...you made me tired! LOL Actually I have been extremely busy this spring...we planted 100 blueberrie bushes, split off about 75 strawberry volunteers, built a grape arbor, painted two horse barns...never seems to be an end to the list of stuff that needs done. The pay off is.......hopefully a wonderful harvest and a full pantry and freezer by next winter! So the answer to your question is......yes, I am exhausted most of the time....running on sheer adrenaline!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Check out my shoppe at www.honeybeez.etsy.com
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  05:22:05 AM  Show Profile
I thought I was exhausted until I read why you are!

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  06:47:14 AM  Show Profile
I am so far behind. Hopefully this weekend I can make some progress. I had started on the vegetable garden a couple of weeks ago and got the raspberries pruned and trained on the trellis. Also got one section of the raised beds cleaned up and planted with onions, lettuce and some potatoes. Still have to weed the rest, edge the yard and weed the large periennal flower bed - it is soooooo over grown with weeds. DH is going to be gone this weekend to see his parents at the coast, I go see my parents Sunday for Mom's day, so that just leaves Saturday to get some stuff done.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  06:47:56 AM  Show Profile
Ok. Farmers tan aside, is the topiary in the shape of a chicken? Or a topiary for the chickens....or made of chickens? I'd love to see a photo if it's any of the above

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  09:17:19 AM  Show Profile

After looking at her today she looks more like a goose. Better Homes and Gardens April issue has the directions. It was really easy. I need to shape her beak better.

I think I still have some lanolin breast cream from my nursing days, I will try it!
I checked the weather for the next week and decided to put my peppers and tomatos outside today too, they are getting too big.
After reading the rest of you girls' lists, I was reminded of things I still need to do. lol

http://love-in-a-mist-shannon.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  4:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! You sure have been busy! Do you want to come take over my home and garden for a week? I still need to dig up at least half of my garden space for my peppers, get my sunflowers planted, plant my corn and get tomato plants since I didn't get the seeds sprouted in time. One of these days I will get my garden in :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  7:01:56 PM  Show Profile
I've passed from exhausted to the twilight zone! And, there's still more to do! Susan
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  12:45:28 AM  Show Profile
LOL Too Cute Shannon
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Is Anyone Else Exhausted? Next Topic