elah
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Emily
SW Michigan
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  05:50:37 AM  Show Profile
This might sound like a stupid question, but I really don't know the answer! How do you know how warm your soil is? Several places say not to plant X seeds until the soil reaches 50 degrees.

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  06:04:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
I think you will find that it is ok to plant them, now, but they won't germinate until the soil reaches that temperature. I am sure there is a device for measuring, but I have never used one. I just go on gut instinct for when it feels warm enough to plant. Best of luck with your garden!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Bee Haven Acres
http://beehavenacres.blogspot.com/
http://beehavenmaven.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  06:32:57 AM  Show Profile
Beverly is right. Mothers Day is a good rule of thumb to use unless you live in the yukon. there are soil temp gauges at garden store. It is just that things grow faster when the soil is warmer. You can plant earlier and the plant or seeds won't die they just sit there and til they are warm enough. Good luck, MB
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on May 02 2007 06:34:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  1:26:03 PM  Show Profile
Well, I have a book on garden folklore that suggests you drop your drawers and sit in the dirt. If it's not too cold for your *buns* then it won't be too cold for the seeds.

Not sure I'll be trying that method outside my front door! ;-)

I've learned that it takes as much time and energy to wish as it does to plan.

Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  2:21:22 PM  Show Profile
Do you have a meat thermometer? Jab it in the soil. That's all there is to it.

Seeds planted in soil that is too cold can rot in the ground before the soil warms. Corn is a good example. Cool weather crops like broccoli, spinach and most root crops like cool soil. Some things are so fussy they won't germinate if the soil is too warm, like spinach. If the seed packet says "as soon as the soil can be worked" you can literally start planting as soon as the soil is dry enough. Warm weather crops like corn, tomatoes and pepers like the soil warm before they'll germinate.

Watch your night time temps. If it's getting cold at night the soil is cooling down, especially if the days aren't sunny. Our night time temps are still in the 30°'s. There aren't any warm crops that can be planted until late May or early June here without using season extenders.

Robin

www.thymeforewe.com
www.outdoorwriter.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

elah
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Emily
SW Michigan
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  2:34:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks! I was thinking about trying a meat thermometer. I'll have to give it a try tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine78
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Cynthia
Western Nebraska
106 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  3:31:38 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if this is the right way to do it or not, but I just stick my finger in a couple of inches and check the temp. If it's warmish to the touch, you're good. It's definetely not scientific, it seems to work though.

Cynthia
www.pinecanyonranch.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic soil temp Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page