Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 suggestions needed for grape arbors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic suggestions needed for grape arbors Next Topic  

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  09:07:38 AM  Show Profile
The time has come to finally build a grape arbor for my vines. I cannot decide on a waist high versus walk under grape arbor. Looking for a bit of input. What have you got? Do you like it? What would you change next time? Thanks!

Angie

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  11:31:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love the walk under style. That's just my personal preference. I am sure either style will be beautiful though!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Linda
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Linda
Swanton MD
USA
32 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  11:51:15 AM  Show Profile
Angie - I would recommend the walk under arbor as the vines will need plenty of space to spread out and grow and the grapes will hang down from the top, overhead part and will be easy to pick. We made ours about 6 feet tall and about 6 feet wide and 40 feet long. We had six main plants and they all grew together up one side and across the top. They were very easy to prune in the late winter and easy to pick when the grapes were ripe. This is also good because since high humidity and rain at night can cause mildew, this structure allows for more air to pass thru and around the leaves to alleviate the mildew problems and hopefully you won't have to spray them. Grapes always do better in dry weather - drought conditions actually. Good luck!!

Linda
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic suggestions needed for grape arbors Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page