Page: of 3

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  1:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
My father has always been a garden. My earliest memories of him was of him tending his bannana tree. I was probably about 3 or 4 yrs old at the time. It wasn't until I was about 8 or 9, when we moved to the country that I realized that he loved gardening so much. He always was growing something. We always had a huge vegetable garden. We also had tomatoes, peppers, and the like. Put sometimes he would plant something new. Each evening after work he would spend hours watering and weeding. I remember spending time with him here, eating fresh picked tomatoes, turnups, and carrots. It is one of my fondest memories of my childhood.

Even now I can imagine the small of sheep manure, and the tinkling their bells. The smell and feel of the sheeps wool. The awful feeling of bits of hay stuck to sweaty skin. I can see the dark dusty interior of the barn. I can still remember my list of chores growing up.

These are such happy peaceful memories for me. And maybe being here on my farm, helps me feel that way again. I have a driving need to provide that same kind of life for my children. To instill those important values. Taking pride in a hard days work. The knowledge that you are an important part of something.

Oh Boy! Now I am all gushy. And missing my old home.

Now how exactly did I get here? Well....When I first married my husband, I had this little flowerbed. I would go and just buy one little plant every once in awhile. Then we moved and I had a little bigger flowerbed. Then we moved again...well you get the idea. Eventually we bought our first house. The whole backyard of this place was just dirt. So I played around. But eventually we found it was to small, we wanted a place with some land. A place to grow an actual vegetable garden, and have a few animals. Now here is where the farm comes in. And let me tell you boy is that vegetable garden big.

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  2:57:25 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mollie

I'm a product of the "passalong" generation of gardeners. From my earliest memories, my family NEVER went to anyone's house for a visit whether a neighbor, friend or relative without coming home with several "passalong" flower plants wrapped up in newspaper. I still do this today, I love spreading my flowers around. It rooted gardening in me forever. I always take tomatos, beans and especially squash (which is hard to get rid of) to all my neighbors. I kept my little trowel and newspapers/string by the door so I am prepared. Mollie

Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  06:11:31 AM  Show Profile
I love to read all of these stories.. You all are so inspiring. I am truly enjoying the feeling of peace I get from reading/getting to know everyone. This forum is truly amazing!

Carla...

If you treat an individual as what he is, he will stay that way, but if you
treat him as if he were what he could be, he will become what he could be.
-- Goethe
www.jennywrensurbanhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic How did you get started? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page