Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Apron pics and ideas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Apron pics and ideas Next Topic
Page: of 2

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 30 2004 :  07:52:31 AM  Show Profile
Hello all, I took some pictures of the old fashioned aprons that I've sewn up so far. They are definately the utilitarian, no nonsense, work type aprons...which I prefer. No fru=fru stuff for me! I took some indoor and outdoor pics, and I've included a pic of the old pattern that I used for them. I also included a couple other patterns that I have that are similar or simple, for ideas. Hope others will share too! ~ Clare
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/farmersdaughter1230/album?.tok=phikJMBBqI2HIcxo&.dir=/680a&.src=ph

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural

Edited by - Clare on May 30 2004 07:54:22 AM

lforester54
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Lisa
Metamora MI
USA
22 Posts

Posted - May 30 2004 :  09:48:07 AM  Show Profile  Send lforester54 an AOL message
I love your aprons!! Do you sell them? I'd love to buy one. I'm kinda big (sz 26) though, do you make them that big? Keep it up! They're great!!

Lisa

Eve was framed!
Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - May 30 2004 :  10:55:35 PM  Show Profile
Great aprons, I really like the cross over backs. Lisa, check Park Bench patterns (www.parkbenchpatterns.com) they have really cute patterns and it's owned by the woman who designs them all. She designs clothes that are great for bigger ladies. I'm a pretty tiny person (barely 5'2") and I have to cut a lot out of her patterns.
Elizabeth

joyously dancing through life
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 30 2004 :  11:41:21 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE your aprons..exactly my taste..I am not a fru fru kind of gal either. I need to make some new aprons...what an inspiration you are!!! Thaks for sharing!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 31 2004 :  06:11:05 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, thanks for the link to park bench patterns.. great ideas. Lisa here's park bench's apron link. very cute! http://www.parkbenchpatterns.com/22.html
And I got a terrific jacket idea from there. Just might have to order that one! ~Clare

Go to Top of Page

lforester54
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Lisa
Metamora MI
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2004 :  07:09:56 AM  Show Profile  Send lforester54 an AOL message
Thanks for the link Clare--went there and got two patterns!

Lisa

Eve was framed!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2004 :  08:24:19 AM  Show Profile
Love these aprons! Do you have other types, too? I would love to have one. I sometimes make half-aprons that tie around the waist. I use terry cloth, because I am always wiping my hands on them! They are very easy to make, especially if you have old, softer towels to use to begin with. My grandma and mom left me a collection of vintage aprons, and I would love to use them, but do not wnat to wear them out! I always remember seeing those aprons from a lower eye level than a grown-up.
Jeannie
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2004 :  08:53:34 AM  Show Profile
Jeannie,
I'm in the process of expanding my apron pattern collection, with different variations of simple aprons and half aprons too. So, I will be sewing up more soon!! I have thought about marketing them to interested persons, so if I get organized and get a web site up that features them, I'll be sure to post it here and you can check them out. I too have a collection of vintage aprons and other kitchen and household linens. I currently have them draped over an old painted ladder that I have propped against a wall in my kitchen, which showcases them nicely. I'll keep ya informed of my progress.~ Clare

Go to Top of Page

HiDez Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Roberta
Joshua Tree, CA
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2004 :  11:21:58 AM  Show Profile
Clare,

I think your aprons are w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l!!! I am so inspired i suddenly have the urge to dig through my stash of fabrics. I recently found a plain work type apron pattern that i really like but had not done anything with it. I have a bunch of the 20's and 30's repro fabrics that would make darling aprons. Also have some fabrics left from when i made a dust ruffle and curtains for our bedroom the scraps are about the right size to turn into aprons.

Thanks for posting the pictures for us to see. I think you should set up the web site - have you thought about pockets with something like Sunbonnet Sue appliques or something similar? What made me think of that is the apron pattern i found is for redwork and the pockets of the apron have Sunbonnet Sue to be embroidered. My hands aren't in much shape for embroidery but i was thinking machine applique might be fun and would turn a plain apron into an art project <g>. Wow...now you've done it, i've got to get busy on some sewing. Thanks Clare.

From my favorite coffee cup:
"A gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do." Minnie Cody, 1901
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2004 :  8:24:18 PM  Show Profile
Another apron pattern link for those who may be interested:
www.modestpatterns.com look under the "Friends Patterns". I have made the kitchen/canning apron and really love it. Many of their patterns come multi-sized. They even have kid-sized apron patterns for your kitchen crew.

Sharon
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2004 :  4:55:51 PM  Show Profile
Clare; Your aprons are beautiful. You definitely should market these. I think there is such a hunger for this simple, sweet nostalgic way of life the aprons represent. Not only that but they are so unique done by a craftswomans hand! The aprons remind me of my own grandma's apron ( circa 1930's ) rendered in her favorite color of green. Best of luck in your idea and I am cheering for you! I would personally buy your aprons, and I know alot of my girlfriends would too.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2004 :  9:09:40 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark - thank you so much for the encouragement! I got my sewing machine back out recently and finished up some other crafty project ideas that were hanging out there, so now that those are completed maybe I can think about the aprons again...(What I finished today was sewing women's hankies to white men's hankies and then sewing those units side by side to make some runners. One is over the back of my couch, another on the back of the futon...didn't know where I was headed with these creations when I started, but they turned out kinda cool and definately retro looking!)...
I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my second grandchild, a boy, who's not due until Sept 9th, but my daughter's health isn't too good, so he may arrive sooner... which will delay my sewing some, but births are definately worth it! Appreciate all the good thoughts you can send this way for Christy. I'm a firm believer in the collective power of positive thinking! Thanks in advance.

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2004 :  04:30:21 AM  Show Profile
Clare, I will lift Christy up in my thoughts these next few weeks to be strong and healthy in the birthing of her child. It can be a scarey time but we mothers seem to have the strength to bear it. I have a 21 year old daughter and look forward to my grandbabies. I am sure it is truly a blessing. Have you crafted clothing, blankets, ect. for your grandchildren? I am sure they are beautiful...you sound so talented.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2004 :  08:37:15 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark -I've crocheted blankets for both of by "babies"... my grandaughter, who is now 3.5 yrs old latched onto her mother's, which I made 26 years ago (had a better feel than the one I made for her personally apparently!)... I am kind of self taught in the crochet and knitting areas. My crocheted blankets are sturdy and simple, but are comforting anyway. Before I had grandbabies, I crocheted blankets for my nephews and niece. I think they appreciated them too. Have to have some place for that creative energy to go! haha. Thanks for the uplifting thoughts, too ....

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2004 :  1:06:12 PM  Show Profile
I, too, will include Christy in my prayers, and the precious grandbaby boy, too. My granddaughter has had a mysterious fever, sometimes up to 104, for a couple of days. Last night I cooked dinner for my daughter and her husband and took it over, to give them some relief but mainly so I could see that baby and hold her for a few minutes. It is so wonderful to have daughters and grandbabies. Hope your new arrival gets here safe and sound. And that your daughter stays that way.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2004 :  1:55:01 PM  Show Profile
Not to be an alarmist, Jeannie, but has the doctor ruled out menigitis? That's a scary one. One of my nieces had it as an infant... Thanks for your good thoughts, and I will hold your grandaughter in my thoughts too.

Go to Top of Page

Sherries Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Sherrie
Graham WA
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2004 :  07:30:42 AM  Show Profile
I love the aprons Clare. They inspire a more romantic (though we know it was hard work) time. Your work is outstanding.

Sherrie

"When you care enough, you make it yourself."

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2004 :  08:16:24 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Sherrie. Thank you very much.........

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2004 :  8:12:44 PM  Show Profile
Clare, are you selling your aprons? I'd love to order one. I collect vintage aprons and am always looking at flea markets etc. Let me know!

farmgirl@heart
Longaberger Lover and all things antique
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2004 :  03:31:31 AM  Show Profile
Kim-I hope to get back into it this winter...I'll post something here when I've got a selection to offer. Thanks for the encouragement!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2004 :  06:02:30 AM  Show Profile
Clare, I see a new business beginning for you! I, too, will buy an apron from you. Let us know when you are ready to sell! They look so soft and feminine yet totally useful. Just like all of us farmgirls :)

I was cleaning in my attic last week-end, and found a box I had been missing for a year! In it were some of my daughter's baby clothes and three more aprons that belonged to my mom.

I have gotten so attached to having an apron on, it gives me a good feeling, plus it is so handy! The ones I found from my mom were all different. One is a half apron in soft lime green and yellow for frilly company meals. One is a 60's look - mod pale green and black and gold print fabric and trimmed in black and gold bric a brac. But the cotton is so soft and it has pockets, and I am using it a lot. And the third one has a bib and wraps around the back and buttons at the waist. You have to put your arms through it to put it on. It is a lively blue and red flower print and also has big pockets.

What a good feeling to wear something that my mom wore.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2004 :  12:06:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Clare,
The apron Pics are not available any more. Can you renew them too?
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2004 :  12:39:07 PM  Show Profile
Eileen, I think they're good to go now...
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2004 :  09:51:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Clare,
I just tried again with the apron pictures and it says that the files I am looking for are unaccessible to check with the owner.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2004 :  10:03:04 AM  Show Profile
Try this updated link:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/farmersdaughter1230/album?.dir=/680a&.src=ph&.tok=phxh8CCBSKfb1kvG

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Edited by - Clare on Nov 12 2004 12:57:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2004 :  10:30:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Clare, It worked this time. I have a pattern similar the the buttrick one that belonged to my mother in law. I love it. Your aprons are so cute and have inspired me to make myself a couple of new ones.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Apron pics and ideas Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page