Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Apron pics and ideas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Apron pics and ideas Next Topic
Page: of 2

jbartos3
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

June
Victor NY
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2004 :  12:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Send jbartos3 an AOL message
I couldn't pass by the aprons section without sharing! Clare I couldn't view the pics of your aprons, I'd love to see them, and I agree that simple is best! I never had much use for the little waist aprons because I always seem to get food on my blouse! I have a toddler, and if I can get through the morning without a stain on my shirt, I feel I've accomplished something great.

I am so pleasantly surprised by how many people out there love aprons as much as I do! We're a dying breed.

Here is the link to my apron pages www.dorothyshomegoods.com.

June

“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one’s own relations.” --- Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2004 :  1:01:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi June, I updated the September posting with the new link. I wish Yahoo would quit changing things around!!! Oh well.
If you don't mind sharing, June, could you point me in the right direction for finding those cool patterns that you've collected? I've tried Ebay, but the really old ones just aren't in circulation much anymore.
Thanks much!!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2004 :  07:21:06 AM  Show Profile
Love your website June!!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

jbartos3
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

June
Victor NY
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2004 :  1:30:54 PM  Show Profile  Send jbartos3 an AOL message
Clare:

With the exception of the Classic Dorothy pattern, which I think is Butterick, the rest were all ebay and individual dealer finds on the web. The name of one website was Cupid and the Swan. It's really just a matter of luck finding them and not much more. And be prepared to bid, yikes! Some of them can get expensive.

I finally got through to your aprons. I love them, they're great!

Have a great day!
June

“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one’s own relations.” --- Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2004 :  4:01:13 PM  Show Profile
To all my friends in joy of life -
We should all rejoice that vintage aprons can be found in many places, most joyfully in our mother's and grandmother's attics and chest of drawers! If not, Ebay and garage sales and antique malls sell them. I love them all, but most of all my mom's and grandmom's - I feel my loved ones are with me when I put them on. And I feel I wear them more seriously than my mom did! For her, they were decoration. For me, they are a link to the past, a form of security, and a beautiful garment. Plus they protect me from grease and spaghetti sauce!

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2004 :  7:05:19 PM  Show Profile
June, I want to thank you for encouraging me to go back to Ebay to look for apron patterns. I hadn't done that in almost a year or more. I'm not much of shopper or a bidder, but have managed to add 5 new patterns to my old fashioned apron pattern collection!! I feel newly inspired to whip out a few for Xmas gifts. I'm especially taken with McCall's 1105 from 1944. I'm not sure exactly why. It may be a memory of my grandmother (who I rarely got to see because of distance ), or my great aunt Ethel wearing one just this style. Anywho, thank you, thank you, thank you. Here's the link to view the new batch, if you're interested in having a look: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/farmersdaughter1230/album?.dir=/c083&.src=ph&.tok=phZk_FCBTo_1TGzv

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Edited by - Clare on Nov 21 2004 7:11:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

jbartos3
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

June
Victor NY
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2004 :  7:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Send jbartos3 an AOL message
Clare:

I couldn't view the pics :( it said the server was broken or had a technical error. I'll try again tomorrow! There is a lot more out there these days. You just have to keep looking! I look forward to seeing them.

June

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  06:40:49 AM  Show Profile
I was able to view the photos. Those patterns are deadwringers for the actual aprons I have that my grandmother made. I still wear them!

Just the other day, my daughter wanted to look through all my apons. We had fun doing it. I do not sew them from the patterns, but Clare, when you get a mess of them sewed up, let me know. I will buy!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

jbartos3
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

June
Victor NY
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  06:44:42 AM  Show Profile  Send jbartos3 an AOL message
Clare,

Still cannot view and I don't know why it keeps telling me there's a server error. Perhaps there is another link. Would love to see them!

June

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  08:44:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the encouragement to proceed, jpbluesky! I agree, those type apron patterns are the ones of my childhood memories... and they envoke all sorts of different emotions.... mainly work, safety and being loved... June...not sure what's going on for you. If you have high security settings, or perhaps have a filtering system in place on your computer, that may be preventing you to access.... maybe temporarily turn those off and give it a try.....

Go to Top of Page

jbartos3
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

June
Victor NY
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  11:09:33 AM  Show Profile  Send jbartos3 an AOL message
Clare:

Finally got through! I have the anne adams 4930 and the mccalls 1577 also. I plan to offer them someday, when I have all that free time to mess with new patterns. I just can't say enough about aprons! They really are awesome.

There are two books out there now published by Schiffer Books (not the grandest customer service by email, but the order process was smooth) Called Aprons of the mid-20th Century: To Serve and Protect and Gingham Aprons of the 40s & 50s both are by Judy Florence. I just recently got them and boy are they fun to read (if you like aprons, that is.) One of my apron patterns from 1925 is in her first book. I'm trying to contact the author for permission to show the page on my site. They are a fun read, and great if you collect vintage aprons.

Happy Sewing Clare!

June

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  11:22:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the book recommendations, June! I'll check those out.. .they sound fascinating!

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2004 :  10:33:11 AM  Show Profile
[size=2]Just thought I'd get in my 2 cents. I photographed my favorite old apron pattern for you to see.Think it is different from all those posted so far. This one came from my mother in law. I love the big roomy pockets and feminine but functional pattern. I am planning to make myself a new one and while I am at it make one for my daughter as well. I got the bug from you guys. I have several sets of huck weaving valances that Mom in law made for their dining room just before she died in 1976 from a pattern out of a 1936 workbasket magazine. They hung on her windows about 6 months before her heart attack. I was given them and have never had a place for them but now I think I will use a couple of them as the pockets on these new aprons. I will post photos when I get them done. I an excited about this one.

You can view the album at:
http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=eileenspics&password=51582901

Eileen[
/size=2]

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Apron pics and ideas Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page