Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 How Much Would You Pay For Plowing?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic How Much Would You Pay For Plowing? Next Topic  

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  12:57:20 PM  Show Profile
I need about 3/4 acre plowed. So far, the best offer I've gotten is $250-300 to have a local landscaper come pull a rototiller behind a compact tractor. That seemed steep to some of my farming friends. This is unbroken ground that's been lying fallow for years, but still. I'm putting out a few more feelers, but I'm impatient to get this done.

What would you pay? Also, is it worth putting up a sign at the farmer's co-op, or will I look like a total amateur? (I know, I am one, but never you mind! )

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  1:03:56 PM  Show Profile
For 3/4 of an acre in NY it should only be about $150 to $200. Here in ID it's more because of large rocks and boulders. But what could it hurt if you put a sign up at the co-op? Maybe you could even trade services with one of your neighbors? Keep looking around. $300 is too much.

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  2:10:31 PM  Show Profile
Can't one of your farming friends do it?

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  2:17:57 PM  Show Profile
I would see if anyone would want to trade plowing for any of the equipment you have laying around that you want to get rid of. Just an idea,
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  3:22:19 PM  Show Profile
I didn't pay that much for two acres three years ago. A tiller behind a small tractor is going to take a couple of hours to do this right, and that's probably why it's so expensive. I'd put up the sign at the co-op. "Bartering Welcome" is a nice addition if you're interested in bartering.

If you end up paying that much you should have soil that's ready to plant. You shouldn't have to deal with clumps of sod. Good luck!

Robin
www.outdoorwriter.wordpress.com
www.thymeforewe.com

Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  3:35:47 PM  Show Profile
Julie, the problem is that my (admittedly few) farming buddies around here are in the same boat, which is the "we are small organic growers and have neither the room nor the bucks for such equipment" boat. Not to mention that one of our (NOFA-NY's) goals is to minimize tillage. Had I owned this property last fall, I'd have mulched like crazy and cover cropped, but since I just got possession three weeks ago, plowing is inevitable.

I'll put up a sign...
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic How Much Would You Pay For Plowing? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page