lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  3:45:52 PM  Show Profile
I have 3 dogs and half of my back yard is UGLY. The other half is my veggie garden and a grassy area with a stream and pond. This area is fenced off from the dogs to keep it nice. The other half (closest to the house) looks like high mountain desert: rocks, clay and weeds. I just can't bring myself to lock my dogs up in anything smaller. Any kind of paving would be too hot in the summer; planting trees back to shade it would get in the way when we drive our loads of firewood back to the shed. Lumber and fake turf are just too expensive. Is there any kind of ground cover that could hold up to 3 dogs and what they leave behind? Would any of you gals have some other idea? I've been wracking my brain over this dilemma for 2 years now. This half of my back yard is an embarrassment. Help!

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  5:21:07 PM  Show Profile
What about using one of those canvas-over-steel-pole portable garages to provide shade, then pave the area with stepping stones? You might have to deal with anchoring it against weather, but I believe they come with instructions. Our dog run is paved using those one-foot-square pavers and they work pretty well. Although we have trees in their runs, we have also used canvas covers and the beauty is that they can be moved or taken down when necessary.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  6:22:59 PM  Show Profile
My neighbor had a very small back yard and 4 dogs all large. She also loved to flower-garden. So, she just mulched the whole thing. I'm not saying this is wise, as I believe mulch is not a good idea (attracts termites), but you could maybe do rubber mulch instead?

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  6:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What about planting grass in that area and sunflowers for shade? Since sunflowers get so big so fast they are a great plant to use for shade in the summer. You can also pull up the dead stalk of the sunflower once the weather gets colder and so they wouldn't interfere with the wood pile?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  09:00:02 AM  Show Profile
Wow, some great ideas. I like the mulch idea. Would rubber mulch get hot? We really don't have any kind of termite problem up here. Maybe altitude has something to do with that(4k ft)? So regular mulch might work fine. I also like the canvas canopy thing. I never thought about using canopies and they come in many colors now. Maybe I could do a large rock patio with mulched areas around it, large potted plants (so they can be moved) AND the canopy to cool the rocked area. I love sunflowers and always plant a lot of those in my gardens that the dogs don't have access to. Their urine seems to kill everything but weeds. They killed 2 large daisies and a potentilla already. Thanks you guys. I'll be hunting for flat rocks this weekend.

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  09:25:06 AM  Show Profile
How about a square arbor type wood canopy with either a mesh top or grapevine weave top or some other natural material compatible to dogs? You could fence off the canapy and add a run the length of your yard and I would recommend pea gravel or cement which is easy for clean up, will keep fleas down, more secure footing, and a healthier flooring for your pets.

My area is designed so that the dogs go through a gate positioned under an overhead deck, since we have a walk out basement, they go up a set of cement stairs and come out on a cement run that is about 4-5 ft. wide but runs about 30 ft. long. The shade is under the deck where they enter. It's very easy to keep clean and pest free and saves the rest of the yard.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  08:10:16 AM  Show Profile
I wish that I had kept my original plan for college when I graduated high school. I wanted to be an architect/designer. I still might go back to school. I love houses/backyards that are customized for specific reasons, ex. pets, children, or whatever.

They use rubber mulch on playgrounds, so I don't think it gets too hot. And here in Oklahoma it gets extremely hot in the summer. But, if you don't have a termite problem, then just ask at the local garden center about it. Some people use gravel for dog runs.

I have also heard some people use astroturf.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  12:54:18 PM  Show Profile
Tina, I would love an arbor or some other structure for shade back there. But it has to be easily moved when we haul our firewood back there in our truck. It's a really long run from the front yard to the woodshed (uphill) with a wheelbarrow full of firewood. While I hate to admit it (this is just between us gals here), I'm just not as young and strong as I used to be.

Rebecca, that's intesting that the rubber doesn't seem to get hot. I still might look into that one. I wish I could afford astro turf! That would look so nice all the time.

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic 3 dogs-no grass Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page