Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Welcome August! The last full month of Summer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Welcome August! The last full month of Summer Next Topic
Page: of 3

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2021 :  6:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I would say it is about the same as where we were. It is pretty much just west of our old place but I think they get more snow and colder temps because they aren't near water like we were.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2021 :  10:46:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have only been to Columbus Ohio and east from there to the West Va. border. Beautiful country up there! I did a little exploring the semester my daughter attended Ohio State University. It was the Winter semester and at the end she wanted to come back to Florida. The winter was bitter cold and icy which she wasn't used to at all being born and raised in Florida.

I bet you will have a beautiful Fall and it is apple country for sure!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2021 :  11:45:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I watched a weather forcast...long range...and we are supposed to have very
Cold Temps this winter, in Texas, as well as the middle of the nation. So Denise...I guess you will need to collect your cold weather gear in a good spot so you can easily find it, when the north winds begin to blow.
I used to buy silk long John's for my hubby, son and daughter in law. They were very warm and much easier to get their jeans, etc over when they dressed, than the waffely ones. I think this may be the year for some more. My son dresses in layers and layers of clothing then he wears a wool cap... he says it is the best!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2021 :  1:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep I've got my cuddleduds ready Winnie. JT bought me some insulated overalls from Carhartt a few years back but I have only worn them once. Maybe now I'll get to use them.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2021 :  2:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I saw candy corn and those little pumpkins as well as the caramel apple lollipops while out today. Fall is on the horizon!

Tomorrow my daughter is picking me up to help with the children. They are to get their school photos done. They go to a local studio every year.

Also tomorrow sometime, we haven't gotten the call yet, they are supposed to be delivering my new washer and dryer. The house did not come with them and we didn't want to bring the old ones. So I spent this morning scrubbing the floor where they will go. It had a lot of stains and spilled dried paint on the floor. I managed to get it off and it really is beautiful looking tile. Didn't want to put the new appliances over dirty flooring.
Once I get things set up I will share pictures but it going to take awhile as we don"t have a lot of furniture. There are more rooms here but they are smaller. The only room that has all of it's furniture in it is the library but there are also lots of books to be unpacked and other things to set up.
Sometimes I feel tired out by mid day and get a second wind after supper.
The kids stopped by this morning. I think to see if I wanted to go shopping with them but were disappointed to find we weren't home. They are so funny when they don't see us for a day! So when I went over this afternoon to get some things we had left at her place the youngest, PJ, told me he came to see us but we weren't home! So disappointed when he was telling me. LOL! I suppose it will settle down after awhile. I don't know. We are enjoying being popular for the moment.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 10 2021 2:08:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2021 :  06:05:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JT's mom is coming at the end of the month so she can be here for Vi's birthday party. Trying to get things set up in that room. Still need to put up curtains in there and make up the bed. Makes me get moving with more of a deadline.

Trying to find some living room furniture but it seems it takes 3-4 months to get anything delivered. JT and I have different taste when it comes to furniture. He will pick out the stuff for the family room in the basement and I will pick out for the living room. I know what I'd like but finding it is a different story.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2021 :  4:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think your daughter is glad to have you nearby.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2021 :  6:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She seems to. It is a lot easier to make appts. and things if she doesn't have to take them all. I'm keeping the littlest one tomorrow while takes another one for a test and the older two will be in school. They all seem to be good with staying with us.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2021 :  10:16:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well where is everyone?
Trying to stay cool through these dog days of summer I'm sure. It has been very hot here. Mid to upper 90s everyday from now to September. Thankful for a.c.

We managed to find furniture for the family/tv room part of the basement. Hope they can get it down the stairs.
Also found a couch, chair and what is known as a chair and a half for the living room. Not enough room for a loveseat so we went with the chair instead. Glad to have found something.
It won't be here all at once but I'm just glad to get it.
Still unpacking. My daughter comes and tries to help but it just makes it worse because everything is just lying around without a home yet. Her heart is in the right place. Will have PJ for a few hours tomorrow. We have so much fun with him!
JT has had two places contact him for work. He has an interview tomorrow morning. We will see how it goes.
So that is what is going on in my world how about you?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 24 2021 10:18:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2021 :  11:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, there probably is not a business in our town That does not have a sign out needing help! It is crazy.
Someone with JTs skills should have no problem finding a good job. If the pay is comparable to New Jersey or better...that will be awesome.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2021 :  2:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes there are signs everywhere Marilyn and he is applying.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2021 :  4:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, it sounds like everything is working out slowly but surely in your new location! Such good news!! It does seem like Summer has been very quiet at the HenHouse. It has been a long hot summer down here and I think many others have had a lot of heat and humidity as well. It sure does drain out the energy for me! We are approaching the worst of Hurricane season so that always means it is hot and humid. I have notes from my journal that last September 22, we had some drier weather and it was down to upper 60s and mid 80s for 2 days. WhooHoo!! I would take that change for two days in a heartbeat! Since I spend a lot of time indoors, I have been crafting for a couple of swaps over at the main Forum and some fall cross stitching small things for my LogCabin. That and reading some good books, has help keep my mind occupied.

I hope everyone is OK out there! Has anyone made something new this summer with peaches or berries? I haven't tried any new recipes but have enjoyed a couple of peach /blueberry cobblers.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2021 :  4:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had blackberry and peach cobbler since we've been here. My daughter made both. We brought her some peaches from Jersey when we came out. I am looking forward to doing some crafting as soon as I can get some things set up in my area.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6072 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6072 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2021 :  4:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise hat sound delicious! Such delicious summer fruit!
Yum,

Have a good day!
Love you
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2021 :  5:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our crazy Texas weather has been humid! Hot yes...but I'm not aware of any days above 100 this summer. What a glorious gift from God. And each day this week the high drops one or two degrees. Seems like we started at 96 and next week we stay in the upper 80's all week long. Wow!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2021 :  5:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We don't hit 80s until September. Looking forward to fall. Can't come fast enough for me. Winnie, you've got me wanting to make some of those little fall cross stitch things like I did last year. They were quick and fun. I haven't joined any swaps because I really need to get organized first. I know I need to downsize and I just hate that thought. I did so much before moving. I am going to wait though and make sure I can't use my things somewhere before getting rid of them.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6072 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6072 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2021 :  6:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I had my fill of 100 degree weather up there in Redding, there were only a few days under a hundred, hot and dry up there.
love and blessings.

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2021 :  6:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a delightful 88 today. It was so nice that I went up to the hills with DH and hiked about a mile. First hike since early May and it was fun. Fortunately no rattlesnakes. We will be back in the hundreds again in time for the weekend. I read about the rain along the East coast and find it hard to comprehend that people there got more rain in an hour than we got all last year. Crazy.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2021 :  06:08:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember when my aunt and uncle lived in the desert, over the years they lived in Indio, Palm Desert, PalmSprings, but they always lived in the same house, on the five acres they purchased when I was a child. Their rainfall was 1/4" a year. They had plants and some grass and a $300+ water bill most every month.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2021 :  11:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So our furniture for the family room arrived today. JT picked it out so of course it's black. It does look nice there. I found a small table with a few chairs to use for my craft area. I found it close by on facebook marketplace. It will work for the littles to play games too. I would like to find a small rug for under it.
My living room set has not arrived but should here by the end of the month they say. At least part of it. I will post photos once things are set up a little better. Right now we still have boxes around everywhere.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 26 2021 11:29:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2021 :  6:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So happy you're getting some furniture. Men do seem to prefer black; at least mine does. There is a lot of good furniture on Craigslist and Facebook. The boxes will take care of themselves eventually. Or not; I think we may still have a box or two up in the garage and I moved in 1986.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2021 :  10:40:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good News, Denise, that your furniture arrived and you both like how it looks in the new home!

Judith, over here in Florida it feels like a swamp! It seems every day we get a downpour and it all adds up by the end of each month to 6+ inches. Our poor rivers are all swollen up and people with homes are flooded out up here in northern Florida where I live. The ground is saturated and the rains keep coming.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2021 :  11:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well at least you have boxes. Our last move to this old farm house was in late January of 1992.We had painted every room, and my hubby had hooked up the propane heaters, so we could move into a nice semi warm house. I got sick with strep throat and flu at the same time, so after my doctor told me I could not go to school for at least a week, I was in bed.Of course I was so sick.I never even went outside for a week.But we had to move before January 31st.So my husband gotq boxes and tried to pack and move our stuff and the furniture. He even emptied some boxes and brought them back and refilled them. But then hubby said, how do you intend to move your clothes and all of your sewing and painting MESS?
That was when I got up, looked for boxes, which he had already moved. So I grabbed some black trash bags. That got everything moved but because I had no energy after teaching all day, I did not feel like unpacking those bags. Clothing on hangers went into the closets, but shoes, stockings, scarves, jewelry,and anything else...it was a mess. It was almost summer when the last bag was emptied and shaken out.That Is why I kringe, every time someone says move.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 27 2021 11:20:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2021 :  11:38:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had to do boxes as we weren't moving local. My daughter had gotten most all of them and would send them home with us when we were visiting. The extras we needed we bought at uhaul. I had plenty of moves that we used baskets and bags.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2021 :  11:40:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie the furniture really does look nice in the family room/ basement. Making our way back from picking up JT's mom.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Welcome August! The last full month of Summer Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page