Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Welcome August! The last full month of Summer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Welcome August! The last full month of Summer Next Topic
Page: of 3

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  10:36:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you believe that August is here already and kids are usually going back to school this month? Our schools start August 10th this year so that they have enough hurricane days and a full week off at Thanksgiving to be able to end school by the end of May. This is the earliest I ever remember them starting, but a full week off at Thanksgiving seems like a great idea for kids and families.

Denise, I hope you are officially on your way to Ohio and that the showing went without a hitch! This has been one exciting and busy Summer for you!

August is the month that we begin to see those early apples or better known as summer apples make their way south by the end of the month. According to my little Apple Journal, Ginger Golds, which are a summer apple, showed up in a grocery store here on 8/19/20. They are grown here in the East in orchards from North Georgia up through western NC and further north. It is mainly north Georgia where they ripen first and get shipped. Anyone here get them in their stores? If so, do you like them? They are a favorite of mine to eat and make applesauce with.

Does anyone here have Fall Fever yet?? I sure do! This weekend, I pulled out a few things and decorated my little tree in the family room with apples. We have had a lot of rain this Summer and that means everyday is hot and humid. Mid to late August starts the peak hurricane season down here which I always dread. We are still flooded from the hurricane hit we got a few weeks ago as it ripped across the state. In our region, the rivers are at flood stage in a couple of areas because we keep having all this rain before we could recover from the recent hurricane. UGH!

What are the rest of you up to? Anything special or different?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  1:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had Fall Fever since the first hot day back in April and as usual we have had no rain. Our heat usually lasts well into October so it's too early for me to even think about Fall. This month is all about hot summer nights, watering sparingly due to drought, turning off the a/c from 5 to 8 to help prevent blackouts, and keeping air cleaners running due to smoke from the fires. I guess you can tell this is probably my least favorite month. On the positive side there are birthdays for three grandkids and the perseid meteor shower. We always pack a picnic dinner and go up to the hills to spend the night watching the sky.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  7:42:20 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Fall can't come early enough for me. And August is always just too hot! The weatherman said that usually around August 15 the temperatures drop to a high of 95 -- from 96. LOL!

Tuesday the serviceman is supposed to come to fix the refrigerator. We have been without the kitchen refrigerator since June 13. It is getting old - having to go out to the garage for refrigerated items. And we are crossing our fingers and toes that he has with him whatever parts are needed to fix what is wrong with the refrigerator. Otherwise, ordering appliance parts is taking a long time. We think it is the compressor. It is under warranty, so at least repairs are covered.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Aug 01 2021 7:46:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  08:58:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I know your state and mine are still in the center of a long, hot, and muggy Summer. I sure hope that fridge gets fixed tomorrow. Fingers crossed for you.

If any of you wish to say more about Fall Fever, I started a thread over in the chatroom which has been fun. In the meantime, my favorite coffee arrived in the grocery store today and I am so happy. It only stays until close to Thanksgiving so it is a treat to enjoy each year. Along with my Pumpkin candy corn, I am set to deal with this increasing case of Fall Fever!! LOL!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  09:02:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone,

Yes, hard to believe that August is here. I'm not sure where the months went. I've been so pre-occupied with life changes.

I have left my prior employer and am now working for a different company; still in the brokerage industry. I'm also working from home. I had originally decided not to work from home with my prior employer fearing that I would never get out of the house. I'm such a home body. However, it's been a couple of weeks and will say, I'm enjoying working from home. I set up my office in my quilting studio. It's nice to run downstairs and get a drink, do a load or whatever. lol

On another note, Pumpkin and Goofball recently were engaged. I did cry tears of joy. They make such a wonderful couple. Goofball called me the week prior (to asking Pumpkin) to get my blessings. How sweet is that? They went for a hike (they both enjoy the outdoors) and he proposed on the fire watch tower. She/they Facetimed me from the tower to tell me. I couldn't help it, I teared up.

Last Saturday, I went to the farmer's market, it was wonderful to have access to organically grown local produce. Bought lots of fresh vegetables and even treated myself to a bouquet of flowers. Who knew there was a flower farm in my area? The flower farm is called Mossbrook Roots and is so wonderful. The bouquet includes Thai Basil, OMG, it smells wonderful.

Aside from that, I've been keeping out of mischief by knitting. I did do a bit a quilting. I'll share that project on another thread.

Keep well everyone,

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Aug 02 2021 11:40:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6072 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6072 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  09:06:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, that’s a pretty bouquet of flowers!

Congratulations on the engagement of Pumpkin and Goofball.
Enjoy the day!
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  11:35:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, so good to hear from you . Congratulations on the engagement of Pumpkin! How very exciting! Glad you are also enjoying a new job working from home. It does have it’s perks for sure and nice when you don’t have to navigate bad weather to and from a job.!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2021 :  02:31:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, good to see you here

We made it safe and sound. JT was not able to sell his work truck there so we drove it out with our van towed behind. Took about a half hour longer but still good time.
We pick up the keys this morning and expect the moving truck between 12 and 4 pm. So we should have it unloaded by Saturday. We will put the furniture in and put the boxes in the garage or rooms depending on how much we get done. Looking forward to being finished, though I'm sure that will be awhile yet.
The grandchildren were very excited to see us especially the two youngest (4 & 2yrs)
The apple orchards are already for picking here. Hoping to take the grandchildren as soon as we can.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2021 :  05:59:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, when T asked Bay to marry him, Christmas eve
...almost 4 years ago, our son told us all how T had gone with him on the four wheeler, to the back pasture, and on that adventure...T asked if he could ask B to marry him. I was impressed!
He is not a cowboy, but will try to help when needed.
He loves B and the baby...but best of all he loves God!
And we all love him.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 05 2021 06:00:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6072 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6072 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2021 :  06:50:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That’s a wonderful story and memories Marilyn.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Love you all!

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2021 :  4:07:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise --so happy you made it there safely. I'm sure the grandkids will want to help with the unpacking. Do you have your own apple orchard?

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2021 :  6:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith,
The kids came over today after they had us over for supper. Their daddy helped their papa bringing some things in but they didn't stay long as bedtime was soon here. So JT unloaded as much as he could but we still needed to make a store trip so he stopped, locked things up and we made a quick trip out and back. We gave up for the night but will start fresh in the morning. I am basically just working in the kitchen just now. The plan is to put the boxes in the garage and the furniture in the right rooms. After that we can work on the boxes. I'm sure it's going to take some time but we have the moving trailer until Monday.
We do not have an apple orchard though we do have an apple tree. We will need to prune it back a bit to get good fruit. That won't be until next year. There are lots of farm markets and orchards nearby so will take the kids there to pick apples.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 05 2021 6:40:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2021 :  7:52:44 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So nice to hear you are getting settled in - well, soon, anyway.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2021 :  03:55:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, you cross my mind often while I am doing all of this. I remember when you moved. A lot of work but is nice when it's all finished. We have to buy some new furniture but will do that over time.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2021 :  08:40:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

Marilyn, they were engaged mid July, while on a hike.

Denise, glad you made it safely. Ohio is such a lovely place.

In mid July I acquire an AeroGarden. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but I'll admit I love it. I'm presently growing Italian herbs. There's an app that comes with it and it tells me how my garden is doing and when I need to add fertilizer. This is what it looks like:

What's really sweet about it is that I can start seedling for an in-ground garden. I'm really impressed.

Aside from that, I'm keeping busy with a new sweater I started. I'm enjoying a wonderful summer season.

Keep well everyone! Cheers!

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6072 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6072 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2021 :  09:26:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole
I bet it will be a beautiful sweater. Your garden is neat and interesting.
Take care everyone!

Love you all!

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2021 :  06:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, your new garden is interesting and you will have to tell us more as you learn what it all does. It will be perfect for the area where you live and Winters can be long and cold.

Yay, Denise, so happy to hear you are at your new home and things are going along smoothly!! Enjoy your new place and all the excitement for setting up a new homestead and finding your new rhythm in Ohio!! Can’t wait to see some photos !!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2021 :  3:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Winnie. The past while has been getting up, working with a fervor, being exhausted and going to bed to get up and start again. My energy level seems to conk out on me around mid-afternoon. So we rest a bit do some and go to bed. The kids were here and brought reinforcements to get everything in the house and garage. Was good they were able to get all unloaded because late afternoon it started to rain and is still going. Hopefully cooling things down a bit. Of course do not like going back home. They came for lunch and brought peach cobbler for dessert. We had blackberry cobbler after dinner last night. I have some blueberries we need to use up but not all my baking supplies are unpacked yet so...I will have to downsize my kitchen considerably as this one is a tad smaller and no large pantry anymore. Now it is a small closet. I think we will be having a garage sale soon. Nice to catch on what you all have been working on. Hoping to have the house arranged by fall.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2021 :  5:08:05 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Carole -
Just curious - what city is the fire tower in? My brother in Lake Placid constructs fire towers and I wondered if it might be one of his.
Congratulations on their engagement.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2021 :  5:50:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone. I'm quite excited both of them.

Linda, the fire tower is around the Albany region. My daughter lives 3 hours south of me.

Not much going on at the moment. We had some lovely rain.

Catch you all later!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2021 :  05:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Carole! I don't know if I posted that or not. Always such a happy occasion to celebrate.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2021 :  07:58:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Denise.

Haven't been up to much except knitting while I watch movies. OMG. if you are looking for a great movie, The Lost Valentine ... with Betty White (love that woman) it's a Hallmark movie. I love the 1930-1940's era ... anything having to do with WWII. There's just something about that time, the music, the values .... Anyway, loved the movie. A tear jerker!

Gorgeous day today. Hope you are all enjoying a beautiful day!

Cheers!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2021 :  12:26:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen that movie. It is good and you are right it is a tear jerker.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6072 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6072 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2021 :  12:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Betty White. I will try to find that movie!
Thanks
Denise

Hugs

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2021 :  7:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a great movie Carole. Love it!

We finally got our internet service up and running. We went ahead and got and landline as part of the package. We use it mostly for those we don't want to have calling our cells. Will be getting new numbers on them too. I will send my stuff to Sherry soon so everyone will be updated with my information.

Coming up with solutions for many things in a small space. Downsizing is one the other is using my brains to find storage solutions for things I use often. I have been utilizing the insides of the cabinet doors to hang my measuring cups spoons and small funnels.

I'm sure I'll figure it out. What do they say? Necessity is the mother of invention.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 08 2021 7:12:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2021 :  5:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, so good to know you are where you wanted to be and now it is just taking your time to figure out how to set up house and settle in. It must feel like a dream that you are finally at your new home and actually making it all happen. It has been quite the journey over the Summer but you and JT are so organized that you were ready for each step as it happened. Enjoy this new home and I hope things all quiet down in the days to come. What is it like up there? Warmer? Cooler? the same? Just curious about your new location.

Carole., I love that same era of the 1930s-WWII!! Much was happening during those years for not only the US, but for the entire World. I also love to read books set in the same era. I want to know more about what my parents faced during those years and how it impacted how our family was raised.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Welcome August! The last full month of Summer Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page