Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Those Vintage Kitchen Utensils!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Those Vintage Kitchen Utensils! Next Topic
Page: of 3

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2702 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2702 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  6:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, I have heard of that cake recipe and always wondered how it would be. I might have to try it now!
I love that book! I think it was the start of a whole new era of cooking and a new generation of cooks.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  9:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I found a neat vintage kitchen item today and bought it - a metal hand crank food shredder/slicer with 8 discs. it was only $10, which I thought was a bargain. Ed and I can't wait to see how it works. I will post a picture tomorrow.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  10:32:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our Julie has one of those.
Seems like they were called Salad Masters.
$10 sounds like a bargin!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  11:00:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many of you have butter churns?
I have my grandma's crock churn. As a kid we had to take turns churning the butter, when we visited her.
I then bought an open top Daisy churn. Later I found a red topped churn. I have only used them as decorative pieces.
Teaching little kids, we always made butter, in a quart jar. If the cream was room temp...it only took two trips around the circle with each child giving the jar a good shake...and we had butter. Since it was Not salted, spreading it on saltine crackers helped.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  11:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Concerning the tomato soup cake... there is a children's book named Thunder Cake.
A little girl and her grandma, seeing and hearing a rain storm approaching..
scurry about the farm, gathering a few eggs, a tomato, etc...so they can make a cake. So I just had to do this with my kids, sometime in the spring when storms were going to be part of our school day. We started with a cake mix, and added soft butter, eggs, and tomato sauce!
Ouooo you ruined it was a frequent comment, especially from little boys...but they were so surprised when it was time to eat the very moist, delicious cake.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2021 :  04:18:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My aunt used to make a tomato soup cake. My dad loved it when because she did would bring a cake down to our house for him.
I think I might have her recipe but it is packed if I do so I will have to look when we get unpacked.
My mom used to make the best mandarin orange cake. Our neighbors loved it. She always seemed to have something ready to serve whenever they came for coffee. Those were the days of visiting with neighbors face to face. People don't do that here. When we were military we visited with our neighbors a lot but after we moved here it was not something they do I guess. Sad we've lost that but I am looking forward to doing it again when we move. At least I hope we can get to know our neighbors that way.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jun 03 2021 04:20:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2021 :  1:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn - this is a vintage one, and not a salad master. It is all metal.

Here are pictures, different views, of the grater/shredder. It is a Mouli-shredder, a "mouli" product. Patent pending. It says Made in France. Mine came with 7 discs, though 2 are duplicates and not in as nice a condition. I think it is very usable.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Jun 04 2021 1:26:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2021 :  2:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats neat Linda, great find!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2021 :  4:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Denise. I thought so, too. I haven't found any of those wire whips that have been shown here.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2021 :  4:32:22 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Denise. I thought so, too. I haven't found any of those wire whips that have been shown here.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2021 :  05:53:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda this grater/shredder looks very usable for many projects in the kitchen. Great find and it appears to be in wonderful condition which is a total plus! I love that little red wooden knob on the top of the turning part.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2021 :  08:39:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday, I took some photos of my Mom's old cookbooks because most women her era had a collection of favorite recipes located somewhere. Here are some photos of Mom's books that would fall under "essential kitchen Utensils" in the broad sense of the word.

This first photo is of both cookbooks that are the first two starting from the left on a little shelf in my kitchen.

I discovered yesterday too that the larger grey book had the basic pages from a 1939 Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. This grey book has pages from the original as well as the fill in pages from magazine recipes that Mom tried and used. She and Dad married in August of 1938 so I was wondering if she was given a Better Homes and Garden cookbook sometime within their first year of marriage. I have no idea but the date of the book seems like it could be a possible gift for a new bride and step mom. My Dad's first wife died and he married my Mom with 5 and 10 year old girls.

This second photo shows that her cookbooks also have a lot of these little pamphlets that were available for specific products and contained recipes for using the product. You can see here the ones for Velveeta cheese and Mazola Corn oil.
one

This last photo shows an example of recipes Mom cut from magazines and kept in her cookbooks.

I had such fun looking through all the pages and actually spending time reading these pamphlets that were available when new products came out on the market.

Marilyn asked the question earlier about butter churns. I always wanted an old butter churn for my old kitchen corner but never found one. They were often very expensive or in rough shape. For many years I have purchased handprinted pottery from a pottery company in Zanesville, Ohio named Hartstone pottery. About 5 years ago, they went through some rough times and were temporarily out of business . Then last year, I saw in the online Lehman's Store that there was a company named Ohio Retail Pottery. What this company did was purchase Hartstone, which was the dishes part of the business and add to it a new line of basic dinnerware and kitchen accessories like crocks, serving pieces, and they have a beautiful butterchurn. I decided to purchase a new one with another large crock so that I could actually use them if I wanted to making butter and something like large dill pickles etc. Here are the photos of both the complete set and the actual wooden pieces that would be used to churn the butter.

Since then I also purchased a larger covered casserole dish that is perfect for making baked beans that cook a long time, a large salad for a gathering, and Mac n'cheese. I also can order Hartsone dinnerware again that sells online as well and replaced a few broken pieces and got this new mug for the summer.

Hartstone pottery has a superior quality because it is fired in a higher temperature and is more resistance to cracks, chips, or crazing that you find in other dinnerware. Each piece is also hand painted by craftsmen/women for each and every piece of their dinnerware. They are dishwasher safe, microwave safe, and oven safe. Plus I love that it is all made here in the US with US employees. If you are curious about this company , you can visit their website at https://stonewareoutlet.com .

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Jun 07 2021 12:13:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2021 :  12:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise -- I also have some of my Mom's cookbooks and pamphlets. Those old pamphlets are great; I found a recipe in one to make your own bisquick mix for a lot cheaper than you can buy it. I used a lot of that when the kids were little.
My butter churn is a different style; made for smaller kitchens.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2702 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2702 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2021 :  1:41:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, those are real treasures! You can always tell what must have been the favorite recipes by the condition of the pages of the book that the recipe is on. I love when you find little notes or personal comments written along side recipes....changes that they made, what occasion it was made for, if they would make it again...

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2021 :  7:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the graters and churns.
Here is a 1970s coke recipe box. And I collect choppers and whippers, these 2 are my favorites.
Connie
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2021 :  7:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie -- love old choppers; I still use the old nut chopper Mom had. The ham and sweet potato recipe sounds good.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2021 :  9:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I really enjoyed your tour. As a fifth grader, I began ripping recipes from tattered magazines at school.i have my mothers cook books...except for her Betty Crocker. I have no idea who carried it away. Ohio must have wonderful clay. I have some pieces that were made in ohio.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2021 :  9:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, I love the red and white coke meorabilia.
Years ago my fiend and i went to first Monday at Canton, Texas. We learned that October, Nov. Dec, March and April were the months to go and be comfortable. I was in my 40s. We had a blast. It has grown and grown. Like all good things do.
Anyway, I still have 2 or 3 coke boxes, wooden ones. Some one made one into a sled...they did not cut the coke box, just added runners.
Judith, my daughterin law has a small open top churn, like yours. She also has a 8th bigger one, but the jar is smaller than mine.
When we were in western Arkansas,on a trip with friends, we were told by a shop owner, that the people would steal the little strainers from the top of the lids. She also said finding a churn with a real Daisy jar was difficult because many original jars were broken...our trip:30 years ago.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jun 07 2021 03:20:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2021 :  6:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I love coke stuff, That sled sounds adorable!!!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2021 :  10:17:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, can you post a photo of your wooden coke boxes? I would love to see what they look like. You were lucky to have a buddy to go antiquing back in the day! I had a friend that lived here for a few years in the early 2000s and she and I loved to do that sort of thing too. She moved back to Rome, GA. but I sure do miss what we used to call "Adventure days"!! You really have to get out and about to come across cool affordable stuff and that takes time and location to places that have these small shops. So many now seem to be out of business. I am not sure if that is a Florida thing or not.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2021 :  1:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neat thread ... thank you for sharing. I'll have to think about the vintage gadgets/stuff I own besides a rice potato thinking.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2021 :  12:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole - Did you mean a ricer like this? I just used it last week for rhubarb and it does do nice fluffy mashed potatoes.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24

Edited by - StitchinWitch on Jun 16 2021 12:23:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2021 :  05:14:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think our Julie uses a ricer when she makes lefsa each Christmas.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2021 :  11:52:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone else have a soap saver?

The wire cage part is hinged. You open it and put your little soap scraps in it. Close it and swish it around in water to make suds. Good for hand washing clothes and doing dishes.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2021 :  05:02:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never seen one of those but what a good idea! I crochet a little cotton scrubbie that I keep my bath soap in and you don’t end up with soap scraps because you just have soap in the scrubbie until it is all used up. The idea isn’t original because my Mom crocheted a darling scrubbie in the shape of a turtle and she kept soap scraps in that and I got to use it. I still have it and that is what gave me the idea to make one for myself.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Those Vintage Kitchen Utensils! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page