Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Those Vintage Kitchen Utensils!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Those Vintage Kitchen Utensils! Next Topic
Page: of 3

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - May 23 2021 :  08:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The recent post from Connie and Marilyn and the discussion and use of various egg beaters, I thought it might be fun to share here what we have that are vintage kitchen utensils from either our family or a lucky find at a vintage store or estate sale.

Here is a little egg beater for 1-2 eggs that belonged to my Grandmother. My Mom gave it to me years ago and it has been on a shelf in my kitchen. Why I don't use is now and then is weird because it works great. Because I love everything with red, this little beater's cranking knob is adorable!

I would love to learn more and see what little treasure you have and if you still use them. I think I am going to bring this little beater of mine down to a place that I can access easily and start to use it more often. I would love to find an egg beater like the one Debbie found for Connie that is still in good shape and not rusty. I have my Mom's old rolling pin and it has red handles which started a love of red wooden trim on any vintage item I can possible find that is in reasonably good shape. I also have a few green handled items like my Mom's pastry cutter and nice old colander I found. My problem is that I have a hard time finding items that are still in usable condition. I want to use mine and not just look at them! I really think I was born an old soul and still living in the early part of the 20th Century!! LOL!! I am so fascinated by what people had that was considered new technology and modernization of the kitchen.

Looking forward to seeing what you have to share and please post a photo so we all can see because many of your treasures might be totally unknown to some of us.

I am calling this the HenHouse Kitchen Utensil Revival!! Who is in with me??

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on May 23 2021 08:37:29 AM

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - May 23 2021 :  1:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm definitely in, but it's not a revival for me -- I've always used egg beaters. It's far easier to take it out of the drawer than to set up a mixer. I've had one of the Kitchen Aide mixers for 28 years and have only used it about about 5-6 times, usually for things like frosting for wedding cakes. It's also easier to use the box grater than drag out the food processor, which is usually only used for making pesto. Washing a box grater is far easier than washing all the parts of the food processor. Maybe I'm not old fashioned, just lazy. :-)

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2702 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2702 Posts

Posted - May 23 2021 :  1:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, besides being a good egg beater, that is really cute!
I think a lot of vintage utensils were built a lot better than they are today and are easier to clean.
I almost went through a couple of shops that I haven't been to for awhile this week and ran out of time. I am going to keep my eyes open for another of those whisks and if I find one, I will let you all know and I can send it to one of you girls.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - May 23 2021 :  5:19:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, I had to laugh at you saying maybe you were lazy! But , I don't think so at all because I don't have a mixer anymore because I sold it on Ebay since I never used it. I do have my Mom's old Cuisinart that I use for some things but it is old because I am the one who gave it to her some 20 years ago!! Like you, I have a regular hand grater that works fine fo everything I need. I am on the hunt for a beater like Connie got because I think I could use that enough to make it worth buying.

Debbie, I went to some of my favorite shops 2 weeks ago and they went out of business during the Pandemic. I need to get busy and look for some new places . And do keep me in mind in you find another whisk because I would gladly pay you back for it and cover shipping.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 23 2021 :  5:27:12 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ed bought an old hand mixer on a white bowl at a yard sale. He has a hoosier cabinet and wanted it for decor. It turns easily, though, so maybe I will have him bring it here and use it. LOL! I will look for an old whisk, too. I don't think he found one of them. He also has one of the old hand mixers like what Lily June is using.

I have my mother's old nut grinder - I need to find it and post a picture.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on May 23 2021 5:45:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 23 2021 :  9:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, are you sure your beater is for eggs...for some reason I thought it was used for whipping and serving cream.
Judith,you are not lazy...just smart. I Rarely use my big kitchen aid mixer. I rarely use my pressure pot. Like you said it is so easy, the old fashioned way. Besides I'm still learning to cook for two.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - May 24 2021 :  04:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an old egg beater I use. I also have an old electric mom used. I have a fancy Bosch but use her old electric more often. Funny I never thought about having three that do the same things. Well I use the electric when I make mashed potatoes. I think it would take me a while using the egg beater for that. I just got rid of an antique potato masher. Probably could have repurposed but honestly while packing I have been downsizing a lot.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on May 24 2021 05:00:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2702 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2702 Posts

Posted - May 24 2021 :  09:02:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I will do that. I haven't been to any antique/vintage shops for the past year at least. I am hoping to get to a couple soon.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - May 24 2021 :  6:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still use the old potato masher. It used to have a red handle but that got worn off long ago.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - May 25 2021 :  08:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am enjoying so many comments about vintage kitchen utensils and how you use them or just who they belonged to in your family. I have a small kitchen with limited storage and counter space. As a result, I don't have a lot of appliances simply because I don't have a place to keep them so they are within easy access. In the past decade as I have learned more and started using the few utensils I got from my Mother, I realized that she had managed very well with our big family without a lot of electric appliances except her mixer. However, I am seeing and learning that there were a great many utensils that were created for many kitchen jobs before electric ones became widely available and affordable. In my reading about the history of American kitchens, these sorts of gadgets came for in the late 1800s after the Civil War when women suddenly found themselves without cooks and were quite overwhelmed at the task of creating all those tasty meals that they had enjoyed. The times coincided with a big industrial era where there was much change going on and inventions, including the kitchen. Kitchen cooking gadgets suddenly found a niche with a lot of demand and things kept progressing from there. When the 20th Century hit, that progress escalated as electricity became more and more available in homes. However, a great many simple gadgets were still favored by women because of the quality of the outcome that they produced. Sometimes simple is just as good as electric and perhaps more user friendly. With the exception of whipping up cream for whipped cream and meringues!! Now that is one big chore which I confess I have never undertaken.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2702 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2702 Posts

Posted - May 27 2021 :  5:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found these 2 whisks today. Not quite as cute as Connie's. The wooden handle was in good shape on this one...the other wasn't in as nice of condition.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2702 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2702 Posts

Posted - May 27 2021 :  6:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, you always have a way to word things that makes them so interesting!
I agree....I would not want to have to whip cream or egg whites by hand!
Today I also found a metal vintage play refrigerator and sink. The fridge is about 18" tall and the sink, about half that. It was the exact same one that I got for Christmas one year...that was the best Christmas, ever! Santa also brought me a doll crib and my mom had made all of the bedding for it. I remember she made the blanket and bedspread out of an old one that she had had. I had wondered what she was sewing while I was supposed to be taking a nap! The kitchen also had a stove but it wasn't with the 2 pieces today. It is metal and it was in excellent conditon...no rust, etc. I had seen where a quilter/crafter had a vintage refrigerator in her sewing room and used it for a little cabinet.
While I was looking at it, there was a young girl and her mom looking at it and we got to talking. I'm thinking the girl was hoping her mom would let her have it. I was hoping that it would go to a good home. When I went back later, it was still there. I have a feeling that it's going to be calling my name tonight while I'm trying to sleep....

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Edited by - debbieklann on May 27 2021 6:03:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  03:48:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are neat Debbie. We have it pretty easy these days with most things electric but there is nothing wrong with the old ways. Just think there was no need for the gym with all the work people did. Whipping cream and egg whites, kneading bread all strengthened the arms and upper arms. People walked everywhere so no need for cardio. The diet on the other hand....
I haven't been able to start cleaning out my pantry but I know there are some fun utensils in there. I have an old meat grinder of grandma's we have used when processing deer. I'll try to get pictures of what I have to post here.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  05:03:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie I sent you an email about purchasing the wooden handled whisk. Let me know!! If you decide to purchase those little children size kitchen items for your sewing room. I gotta see what you are talking about and they sound so fun, especially that they were exactly what you had as a little girl. How many times in one’s life do we get a second chance to enjoy something from our growing up???

Hey, maybe we can start a renewal of using all these vintage kitchen utensils instead of our modern ones?? Who is up for this challenge?? I will gladly leave the way! Hehehe, I told you I am on old soul!! LOL!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 28 2021 :  06:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
On our trip to Colorado and New Mexico next week I would be glad to pick up some of those old whisks if I find any. If anyone is interested, just let me know what your price range would be.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - May 30 2021 :  2:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are a few of the ones I have. Potato mashers and I think the wooden thing went with a sieve?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on May 30 2021 2:56:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - May 30 2021 :  5:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise -- You are right. I have the sieve, stand, and masher that was my Grandma's. I'll take a picture if I can get DH to get it down from the top shelf fo me.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - May 30 2021 :  5:59:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Judith! I wasn't quite sure if that's what it was for.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on May 31 2021 05:21:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - May 31 2021 :  05:03:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a wooden dowel similar to the one shown here and it was for wrapping cookies off a griddle to form a cone to stuff with whipped cream and berries. It was part of an antique Norwegian Krumkaga maker which is a griddle which takes a waffle type batter that you bake on both sides, remove and put around this wooden cone to form the shape of the cookie. It makes sense that that wooden cone is also for a sieve for removing pulp from cooked fruits to make jelly too.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - May 31 2021 :  05:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, thanks for that info. That would be something to try out with it since it didnt come with a sieve. I'll have to find a recipe. Sounds a bit like a pizzelle maker.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on May 31 2021 05:24:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 31 2021 :  08:16:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie I think the wooden cone for wrapping cookies is smaller than the one for the seive. I have an electric krumkaga griddle or ? It bakes both sides at the same time. They are so pretty and delicate.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2702 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2702 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  09:32:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These aren't utensils but they are vintage...did any of you girls have these back in the day? My mom and grandmas all had them. I loved when the new packet of recipes came in the mail each month! I couldn't wait to look and see what the new recipes were. I liked the first set of cards, that came in the smaller box. We got some of our favorite family recipes from there. I didn't like the newer set that came on the bigger cards as much. I just went through the orange box this week, reminiscing and finding the ones that I always wanted to make. Out of all of them, I only wanted to keep a dozen so I copied them and am going to donate it. Someone else can enjoy looking at it. These were printed in the mid 70s and it's interesting to see what people were cooking with then....lots of canned soups and vegetables...if you wanted something "exotic", you added a can of pineapple or Chinese vegetables. Also, lots of biscuit mix and semi prepared foods, like scalloped potatoes in a box. Of course, Betty Crocker was promoting her own products. For Betty Crocker, I'm surprised that the foods weren't more nutritious. Recipes then didn't have a nutritional or calorie count on them, maybe not a bad thing....haha!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  11:27:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I love your Grandmother's egg beater! Priceless!!!

Debbie, I had one of those recipe boxes in the 1970s! I had a green one!! Awwww It brought back sweet memories for me! Thanks for sharing! I love your Whisk finds! Yes Winnie has the gift of being a wonderful writer! I write is short choppy Sentences!

Denise, Love your Potato Mashers!

I got post some pictures of a few things I have when I get finished with a Gallon Bucket of Strawberries I bought his morning.

Connie
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  11:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, I used to get some of these cards back in the 1970s too. I can't remember exactly but I am pretty sure they were Betty Crocker and I loved seeing the pictures and recipes. I remember learning to make a fresh strawberry pIe from one of those cards and still make it today sometimes.

As best I can remember, it wasn't until the 1970s that we got into vegetarian trends and organic food among the younger adults. Remember Laurel's Cookbook? Our generation of flower children were more keen on how to eat healthier and go meatless. Several books like Small Planet came out with how to cook meatless and healthy. I read some of these books from the library but was not as interested in following these healthier trends as a young adult on my own and cooking. I was still trying to master cooking like I had grown up with.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  12:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a red recipe box from Campbells Soup. My mother sent in soup labels to get it. My favorite recipe in it was the spice cake made with a can of tomato soup. It made a yummy cake and you couldn't tell it had tomato soup in it.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  12:35:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still have my paperback Laurel's Cookbook, held together with a rubber band. My girlfriend and I gave them to each other for Christmas in 1978 or 79. I Still have Diet for a Small Planet, too.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Those Vintage Kitchen Utensils! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page