Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What we are working on 2021
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What we are working on 2021 Next Topic
Page: of 9

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9513 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9513 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2021 :  04:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just starting a new thread for a new year.
I will be working on more quilting this year. I have so many that I have fabrics for so will be putting those together and going through each project. I have penciled in goals for my crafts this year. Also making a goal of no fabric buying or New projects until these are done. Then I will reassess.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1268 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1268 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2021 :  3:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise --I haven't bought fabric in over a year and sewed all year until last month. I haven't run out of fabric yet: stacks of fabric don't seem to be getting smaller. I think pixies are sneaking more in as I sleep. My last years goal of completing UFOs was successful with 19 being finished but there is still more to do. I decided to take a sewing rest a month ago but now it's time to get back and finish that poor quilt that has been sitting on the machine for the past month.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9513 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9513 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2021 :  4:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to package up my projects so everything is together and ready to do.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2021 :  08:54:20 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good ideas. I need to clean my quilting/crafting room and package projects to keep them together so I can finish them quickly without having to hunt for pieces.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2021 :  8:58:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I watched someone on you tube. She went to the dollar store where she found some clear bins for small quilt pieces she had cut and trays to hold her thread color and larger pieces.( She said the trays needed handles or a good place to grab each one. She needed sides on the trays as well so her thread spool would stay put. She also bought some trousers hangers to hang some of the larger finished and pressed blocks on. She bought about $20 worth of stuff.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2021 :  9:12:31 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I use stuff like that Marilyn. Lots of hanging things and clear storage boxes.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1268 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1268 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2021 :  12:05:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the shoebox-sized plastic containers for my sewing projects unless they're very big then I use the plastic storage drawers. It works well and keeps everything together.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9513 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9513 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2021 :  2:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, I use those plastic boxes too. I ordered something online and they came in these 12x18 plastic zip bags. Great for holding projects!
I actually got up there and started working on some pillowcases I meant to make for grandgirls birthday. They are Harry potter material. Plan to take them next time we visit. So I want to get them done up. Next thing is to organize the cabinet I keep my material in. Sorting into the projects I intended to make when I bought it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9513 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9513 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2021 :  04:31:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a photo of the pillowcase. I folded it over so you can see the front and back. I thought I might see if I can find some of the white on a bolt to make them each a top sheet to go with. These were just sold in 1 yd. pieces.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2021 :  05:57:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started a new cross stitch sampler project. It is a simple alphabet but done on oatmeal Aida with two lovely floss colors that represent colors that would have been available through plant dyes in the 18th Century. I find that stitching letters is calming and easy because each letter shapes up quickly and soon you have a string of letters forming a neat line. It is the shapes of people and objects that I find it easier to make mistakes with one stitch being off. I always end up having to rip out and start over, sometimes several times, when making more complicated forms like people and some flowers. Counting is also a bit harder when there are blocks of an object where the color is the same but shaping is happening. All of a sudden you realize that things are not lining up and then you have to a rip out a bunch of stitches. OY!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1268 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1268 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2021 :  11:07:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Harry Potter fabric. Too bad it was only in one-yard pieces. I've had that problem occasionally when shopping online -- I see something I want but they only have one-yard pieces and that just won't work with what I want to make.

I love the look of counted cross stitch. The one time I attempted it I had to use a lighted magnifying glass to do it. Took me forever to make a simple name tag. I guess I should have started doing it when I was much younger and had good eyes.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2699 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2699 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  3:57:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got my new planner for the year today. So far I have just added a page for books that I have read for the year. I will be adding projects that I want to work on so that I can keep them in front of me....otherwise, I get distracted and forget!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  6:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I use plastic show boxes, the scrapbooking plastic boxes with hinged lids (I don't scrapbooks, it's all fabric), larger lidded plastic boxes, and plastic drawers. I TRY to stay organized.

Right now I'm looking for somme of my larger fabric pieces for backings for some scrappy quilts I want to take to my longarm quilter. I can piece them if needed. Not sure what I will do with them when finished, but I do need to get them done. I have at least 10 quilt tops that need quilting. That will help my tash a little, unless I need to buy more for the backings. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  7:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like January is a month to sort out and prepare. I'm doing that here too. I have two baskets I put projects in. Lots of plastic containers I have used over the years. Now I am going through each one and getting rid of those I will never do or have lost interest in. That clears the way for new projects.
I love the Harry Potter fabric and the pillow case. Planners are a good idea but I find I just use lists(of course some stuff has been on the list for years...lol)

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  7:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have a couple projects I will never finish. Maybe we can put things on a thread here and trade - LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Jan 06 2021 7:51:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1268 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1268 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2021 :  11:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda - My guild tried that and it didn't work. I had two I gave to the goodwill; I just got where I didn't even like looking at them so I knew they never would get finished by e.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9513 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9513 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2021 :  04:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that I've cleaned things out I have three big empty bins. Keep my fabric in an armoire my dad had. He put shelves on the side where everything usually hangs. I may change it back. The other side has drawers and the two big long drawers at the bottom hold bolts of fabric. Mostly I need to organize the drawers on the side. Doing that today when my granddaughter comes over to spend a few hours.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 07 2021 05:07:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9513 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9513 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2021 :  05:12:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the HP fabric on a bolt so I bought enough to make top sheets to go with the pillowcases. I will buy plain white bottom sheets and give them each a set. I need only hem them and I'll be done.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2021 :  10:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, lovely HP pillow ... such an HP fan. Santa brought me the Advent Calendar this year ... it was fun to open the door each day and find a surprise. Train was separate.

Winnie, can't wait to see your sampler.

I haven't really been in my quilting studio. Did attempt to finish a scrappy quilt before Christmas. What a disaster. Made 2 cutting mistakes, one on the inner border and one on the outer border. I've been so unfocused .... so not me. Well, it doesn't look like 2021 will be better than 2020.

The quilt center is made with left over scraps from a flying geese quilt I had made Pumpkin a few years ago. I played a bit with Penelope (my APQS longarm) before Christmas, but was not pleased with my machine quilting. Oh well, it will be part of 2020 - The year of unfocus mind.

Keep on creating!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2699 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2699 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2021 :  10:54:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, it's only January and it's still early....2021 will be better than 2020....it has to be!!! haha keeping my fingers crossed

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2021 :  11:03:28 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Carole - your quilt has me thinking. I have a lot of half-square-triangles (HSTs) from other projects. They are various sizes, but I plan on taking somme of them and making somme table runners similar to your quilt.

I DO want to finish the Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt, however I know it will take me a while. I love the "reveal" of the quilt and can't wait to see it done. I only did half of some of the clues, but want to commplete more now. Are you with me, Debbie? LOL!

This week I want to finish the Feed Sack Swap items to mail out. I have my ideas, now, so just need to get-er-done!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9513 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9513 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2021 :  04:45:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole, what a beautiful way to use up scraps. I was sorting through mine yesterday. Thinking on ways to use them. I am thinking of making hexes because some of the pieces are very small.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1268 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1268 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2021 :  07:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning, Carole your quilts are always so beautiful. Linda sounds like you are very busy with your quilts too. I have one for my granddaughter that I need to finish before the end of March for her birthday. But working on a few smaller projects at the moment. Take care everyone.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9513 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9513 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2021 :  2:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a beautiful gift Sherry. I'm sure she will love it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2699 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2699 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2021 :  2:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I am still with you on the mystery quilt! I haven't been able to sew this week. It's been one thing or another. As soon as I get my books finished and get my year end tax reports done, I plan on getting (trying to get) caught up on it. I did like the reveal! I couldn't figure out how ALL OF THOSE PIECES would go together! I think it will be a happy quilt when all is said and done.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2021 :  3:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, Debbie. It looks very happy to me. And it is amazing how the pieces do fit together. I love string piecing and may do that step and then the 9-patches next. Those are easy steps for me.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What we are working on 2021 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page