Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 March 2020 ~ Spring on the horizon
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic March 2020 ~ Spring on the horizon Next Topic
Page: of 5

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  10:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope our Governor enforces a ban on going to the beaches. I guess he was hoping students would want to adhere to social distancing recommendations. When has that ever happened??? That sort of activity puts everyone in those communities at risk and Florida has a high population of older retirees who live in these beach areas and who will also be going to the same grocery stores or pharmacies. I am curious to see what the state ends up doing on this issue because Spring break has always been a lucrative time of year for hotels , restaurants and the like. So, yes $$$$$$$ were playing in the whole beach thing.

One of our grocery stores is starting to have senior hours two days a week from 7-8am starting next week. I was in the store on this past Tuesday about 9:30am and it had customers but not that many. Anyway, guess I will be getting out earlier to shop starting next week!! I can' t believe I am "one of those over 65 now"!!! LOL!!! Sheesh, where did the time go??

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  11:08:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somewhere I saw a vehicle with no top filled to overflowing with young men and women with lots of BOOZE. Seems like the headline was SHIP of FOOLS! Self important, self centered, Inconsiderate and disrespectful of others come to mind. Perhaps if the authority figures and the young people had all been arrested and taken to jail...it might send a message to other unruly folks.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  11:10:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is correct Judith.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  11:46:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marfoogal and his call screener Dex were just talking about the spring break mess= future tragedy. They were as horrified as we are.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Mar 19 2020 11:47:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  1:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was watching on world news tonight, ABC at 2am this morning. They showed the young people drinking and partying on the beach. The Mayor of that city said they will close the beach Monday. What, after they made their Money??? These kids drank, puked, slept all over each other, with each other! They may give the virus to seniors,parents, grandparents etc. The news anchor said that several people who died were between the ages of 20 and 40. and that they were upset already at the attitude of the Millennials, that they wont die from the virus like seniors!
No body knows that for sure! Look at the Basketball player, who tested positive, still no symptoms??
We have senior hours here too! thank the Lord!!

Extra prayers going up for all my farmsis and their families!!
connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  2:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the parents did a lousy job of raising those young people.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2020 :  2:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked out my laundry room window and saw Purple!! It was like a Godwink from my Granny! These bulbs are as old as me! My Granny planted them the year I was born, 1957. She dug some up and took them to Friendship Tn. in 1972. I dug some up from there and move them to my first house and then out here to the country in 1987!
Spring IS early this Year. They usually Bloom in April.
Its our Tennessee State flower too!
aww I needed this today!! I need a hug from her so bad !

Prayers and hugs ! Connie
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1225 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1225 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2020 :  4:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are very blessed to be such a rural state right now. We are practicing social distancing, all schools have started teaching over the internet so the children can stay at home. Our restaraunts have closed their sit down options, it is carry out or delivery only. Bars and non-essential businesses have closed and all government offices are open on-line and by phone only. Our grocery stores and local Walmart have all started early morning shopping for seniors. TSC and our local feed store are doing order online and they will bring your order out to you when you arrive at the store. Our church services are cancelled tomorrow, but our minister has mastered YouTube and has been doing daily uplifting messages, youth group study and will do a short service in the morning. All of these measures and much more I feel will keep us healthy and safe if people adhere to the rules. I had to pick up feed yesterday and did an online grocery pick up as well. I only saw the 2 people who loaded my supplies, got everything I needed including toilet paper and came right back home. I shouldn't have to go out until we run out of dairy and fresh produce, probably 3 weeks or so. Hopefully by than things wil have settled down a bit.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2020 :  7:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie i love purple iris. Thank you God for providing sturdy, but roots that almost sit on top of the soil. Then when you tell them to go...wow! They really out do them selves. God you are one amazing gardener. Thank you!
Connie the other day as I was going to get the mail I saw some white iris. So on my way back I stopped for a photo. They were not white, but the Palest orchid color. I have yellow ones along the lane, I dug them up and moved them from the place where we lived before we came here. Spring is in such a hurry this year. My tomato plants are outside now and they appear to be enjoying the rain.
Connie if I lived closer, I would come over to your house with my cane. We could sit six feet apart and visit. I could not give you a hug( that is against the rules.)...so this virtual but will have to do! I'm sorry you are sad.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2020 :  7:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband said this was the longest day he could remember. He went to town twice! But did not go into a store. He said there were too many people. I told him he used good judgement.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2020 :  7:28:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can only dream of purple iris. It can still be below freezing here. Spring is coming though and I will see mine too. You iris is gorgeous!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2020 :  7:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful Iris! I'm waiting to see if mine will bloom this year. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.
My son stopped by yesterday with a big ham and some other groceries for us. I am so blessed to have two caring kids. Two out of three ain't bad. Our grocery store has senior hours at 6am on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'm a night owl so it will be a challenge for me to get there at that time. I think it would be easier for me to stay up until 6am than to wake up then.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2020 :  08:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie ... lovely sign of spring!

Not much going on here ... I am part of essential services .... processing FDA shipments going through the border .... they did have the option of working from home .... but since everyone else is doing it ... I'm safe! lol I actually did not want work to be staring me in the face every day. It's been so stressful ... I need a break from it.

Funny thing ... when I went shopping last Monday for my weekly groceries ... the store was empty of essentials except the beer cooler ... that was full to max ... I guess now that people have realized that this is a serious and possible long term thing .... the stores have increased their weekly deliveries .... I came to work on Saturday with over 20 shipments of alcohol patiently waiting for me! Meanwhile, I can't find a bag of flour anywhere! Oh well, different priorities ...

Not much going on here ... keeping quiet and low, practicing social distancing (although that's always been the norm for me lol) .... my social life, as barely existent as it was, is now non-existent. In good conscience I cannot cross the border to see my mum ... my friend Nancy is a pharmacist at the local hospital ... so to quote her "I cannot in good conscience hang around anyone" .... I mean I get it! Nancy was telling me that New York has half of the corona cases ... A medical ship is now headed to New York city harbor to assist as most of the cases are in New York City!

I've been knitting ... attempting to use my yarn stash ... however after having seen Judith adorable little quilt ... I may switch to quilting!

Enjoy the day everyone ... Stay safe and healthy both physically and emotionally.

Hugs

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Mar 22 2020 09:00:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2020 :  09:57:36 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to gripe - Some people, especially millenials, it seems, do not take this stay-6-feet-apart rule seriously. We were in Home Depot yesterday to return 2 items and pick up a dryer socket so Ed could hook up the dryer at the new house. We were in line at the service desk and we were standing 6-feet behind the person in front of us. A guy came in with something to return and he comes right up to Ed's back. Ed moved up a little to put in some space and the guy moved up, too. Ed turned around and asked him to please step back a bit. Then the guy and another woman started laughing and saying "Am I bothering you to be this close?" and other statements like that. What is WRONG with people? We do not want to get the virus, and most people of our generation are abiding by the rules to be safe. I am not looking forward to seeing numbers rise here as they have done in Europe.

I was also chatting with Susanne, my former exchange student in Germany. She has been working from home for over a month, and her boyfriend has to drive in to work every day. She said in Germany, it is not the millennials as much as the older adults, her parents included, who, as she put it seem to think "We survived WWII, we can survive this", and they are one group who are continuing on with business as usual. Also, the teenagers are congregating in large groups and having Corona parties. This is why the virus is spreading in Europe so fast.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2020 :  12:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son stopped by today with two particulate respirators for us that he had in their emergency stash. He had been to the store and they weren't bothering to put the liquor on shelves, they just had pallets of it in the aisles. I guess that is how some people are getting through this.
I don't understand why many people aren't taking this seriously. Social distancing is an easy thing to do. Staying home is easy. Why go out in a crowd and expose yourself and others to possible death?
We are now being told how to make masks and have directions online. Things must be getting worse. My feeling is any mask is better than no mask and even well people should be wearing them if they go out in public.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2020 :  2:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I sat down in my recliner about 2:30 and dozed off...only to be rudely awakened by my husband's very agitated voice. His TV was not working. He wanted to call directv...then when I asked why...and gently reminded him that he recently changed to dish...oh my!
(He may drive me Looney tunes.)
I will spare you all the drama. I tried to point out to him that my Kindle is not allowing me access to the internet or you tube. It never sank in.
Linda...that is awful. People are so disrespectful now days. Perhaps you need a spray can of Lysol to spray around yourselves if it should happen again.
All we need is a bunch of people consuming alcohol...inebriated people don't understand anything.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Mar 22 2020 2:40:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2020 :  5:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mom came out for awhile yesterday afternoon for a visit. I don't feel like she is staying home as she should. My sister took her to the nearest Walmart last week and also a crowded grocery store. She should have known better! She claimed that she only needed TWO things. I could have picked them up for her!
Social distancing is easy...I wish more people would take it seriously and if it's what we can do to help, then do it!
I am just waiting for our governor to put us on a complete lock down this coming week. She had a televised "press conference" last Friday and she was speaking to us like we were bad children in need of discipline...ugh! Also, she has an attitude of do as I say, not as I do. She is preaching social distancing and is standing right up next to 2 other people. Can you tell that she's NOT my favorite person??? haha

My daughter has a good friend who is an emergency room nurse is SoCal. She had stopped by a Trader Joe's to pick up a salad for her lunch before she went to work. She was standing in line in her scrubs with her salad and people saw her and started a ruckus...and made her leave the store!!! She ended up leaving with no lunch!!! I was so disgusted. These people are working so hard and putting themselves in harm's way. Someone should have bought her lunch for her and said thank you!!! People....

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2020 :  7:41:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks ya'll so much. My Granny loved loved flowers!!
Bonnie, hang on Spring is comimg!!

Judith, some years mine don't bloom ! They need a lot of Sun and I know you have that!
linda, I hate that happened, that was so rude and dis- respectful!

Marilyn ,Im gonna take a Rain check for that hug! Oh that pale orchid one sounds pretty. My Granny had yellow ones and Brown ones! The moles ate my yellow ones before I moved them up closer to the house!
Debbie, YES!they should have paid for her lunch!
As my Granny would say, these times call for "Storming the Gates of Heaven with prayer!

Love you all!! Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2020 :  12:00:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies...the call has gone out...there is a great need for us to get out our sewing machines and make MASKS. I went on you tube and watched a bunch of videos. Please think about this way to use your scraps and help out.
First...protect you and your family members. Then continue sewing. First responders, nurses, doctors, techs, it is possible that you can give yours to your own community...if not Ohio is in great need.
Since we do not have any idea how long the danger will last...Keep on sewing.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2020 :  07:01:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are apparently only supposed to be out for necessities and only one person from each household. Some have already gotten stopped and asked for their paper from work. You can be out just roaming around here. My son in love showed us his paper (from afar). JT is considered ok due to owning this type business. He could get stopped but he would be an essential due to the fact that if something goes wrong with a gate to the hospital related places, fuel places, etc they need someone to fix it asap. I stay home. It is no different for me really except not seeing family. When the kids stopped by yesterday I got a bit teary eyed. We never say goodbye without hugs and kisses and that was hard. They are bored so they went out for a ride. They ride the back roads here just to get out and get fresh air. With the rain they are cooped up inside. Was happy to see pictures where my Ohio kids had taken their's to a place in the woods to tramp around for a while. Kids need fresh air as sunshine as well.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6080 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6080 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2020 :  07:43:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is so hard on everyone, my daughter and family are all home and she is able to work from home but hard, her husband mostly keeps them entertained

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2020 :  11:05:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, these times are hard on everyone. Nobody wants to have their entire life routine suddenly limited. But, we also can't all get sick at once because most of our hospitals would collapse under the high volumes and not enough equipment to protect themselves or beds and staff to properly care for everyone. By staying put, we help lessen that intense volume on hospitals and allow time for people to avoid being sick. The time also allows for those who get coronavirus and who don't need hospital care, to get over the virus and develop immunity. When enough of the populations becomes immune, we have what is called herd immunity and then we can lift some of the restrictions. Because this virus is completely new, none of us have any immunity to it. Previous Flu vaccines, flu sicknesses, and other respiratory illnesses do not give our bodies any cross over immunity. As a result, all of us will either get the virus or hopefully make it to when a vaccine is available or drugs that help fight the virus and get that. Since we all are older now, the need to hope that social distancing will protect us because we are the most vulnerable to developing the life threatening pneumonia that happens to a higher percentage of older people who come down with the coronavirus.d

In the meantime, I am so grateful for our MJF community and all the conversations and activities we share. I find it helps me so much!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2020 :  10:05:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Made some granola today. So good in the mornings, especially warmed up with a touch of maple syrup on it.
Makes the house smell good too!

Watching a movie while crocheting and waiting on laundry to finish. What is everyone else up to?

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2020 :  10:35:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished more masks but still have 7 to put the non woven in. I had to stop because my hands hurt so bad I could not use the scissors.
Hopefully after some time in my gloves they will be better so I can finish.
Need to plant some plants and seeds, since this is a good day according to the Farmers Almanac...but the morning has been cloudy and cool...55 with a good north wind. My 3 big aloe Vera, ivy starts, angelwing begonias and kolenchae plants are probably in shock.They were moved outside Sunday evening.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2020 :  11:39:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Azaleas are almost open!!
feel blessed to see Spring outside while having to stay home. Oh I miss my lily june and Holly!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic March 2020 ~ Spring on the horizon Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page