Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 March 2020 ~ Spring on the horizon
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic March 2020 ~ Spring on the horizon Next Topic
Page: of 5

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2020 :  4:58:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, We always called those showers or baths with less than a gallon a military shower. In get wet, water off, get soaped, rinse and done! My kids hated when I said they only had enough time for a military shower. LOL. I always keep jugs and jugs of water on hand filled from out purifier for power outages because the pump is electric so... If it's storming bad we usually fill up pails with water for flushing. We just store those in the tub or shower.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2020 :  6:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, that had to be so disappointing! 450 miles is quite a trip! It sounds like you girls had a great time, anyway!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2020 :  06:51:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I guess I am at home. My son told me yesterday that I do not need to be in town.( We went to get gas in our car and truck last night...just so the tanks are full. I was surprised by the price of gasoline...$1.98.9. Why don't they just sat $1.99 per gallon? Anyway that is 20 cents or more less than two weeks ago.)
Today is elderberry syrup making day. Also gummies.Saturday I made hand sanitizer. Yesterday I made Thieves spray. I also made baby wipes.Now I need to make some DIY Lysol type wipes. I'm not sure the stores will ha e them in two weeks.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2020 :  08:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, where do you get your elderberries, and how do you make the syrup. I’d love to do it.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2020 :  09:45:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered from Amazon. A 1# bag.
Of course I watched several people make syrup on you tube...but then I just googled a recipe last night. My little molds came yesterday.
I will type the recipe for you in about ten minutes.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6080 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6080 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2020 :  10:19:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy that is a good price for gas, in the 90’s maybe here it was that price. It is about $3.75 here for unleaded gas! Now.
Wow!

Hugs!

Love you all! Much!
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2020 :  11:04:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok Linda, here it is:
Elderberry syrup
1 cup freezedried elderberries
4 cups filtered water...,.........do not ever use city water...it is full of fluoride and chlorine
2 cinnamon sticks
2 inches of fresh ginger peeled and cut into chunks
10 whole cloves
Put this in a small pot or a sauce pan.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 45 minutes. I put a lid on my pot.
After the time is up, strain the mixture. I strained mine into another smallish pot with a lid. Now
Allow it to cool to room temperature. That will take a while.
Next add juice of half a lemon. And stir.
Next add 1 cup of raw honey and whisk until the honey is mixed into the juice.
Next, pour your syrup into jars, put lids on the jars and refrigerate. Each day take a spoonful after shaking the jar.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2020 :  11:15:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to make gummies:
In a large measuring cup put 1/4 cup of your syrup
Next add four packets of knox gelatin
Stir well and then add
2/3 of a cup of hot water...heat filtered water, but do not boil
Mix well, then add 3/4 cup of your elderberry syrup.
Put the molds on a cookie sheet and spray lightly with cooking spray
Next use the droppers that come with the molds to fill the molds.
Carefully put the cookie sheet in the refrigerator for one hour.
Remove the cookie sheet and dump the gummies out on some wax paper or ???
Now taste test. I would.
Put into jars. A child can have 3 each day. An adult...??? Use your best judgement.
I ordered the gummy bear molds from Amazon. There are four molds and two dropers for less than $10. Each mold has 50 little bears. Prime= no shipping cost.

Edited by - TexasGran on Mar 16 2020 11:19:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2020 :  3:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Dallas county has now been told to basically stay home and quarantine at home. Bars theaters and most venues have been closed indeterminately. Restaurants can only serve drive-through, delivery, or pick up. we are outside of Dallas County, but I am sure that will happen here soon. Ed and I had already planned To work at home - a great time to get the new house ready and clean out the old house to get it ready for sale. I hope everyone stays safe.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2020 :  8:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Marilyn. I will get some Elderberries and make some as soon as I get them. By filtered do you mean out of the fridge filtered, bottled spring water, bottled distilled water, or bottled purified water?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2020 :  01:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used the water I buy for the coffee maker. It just needs to be free of fluoride and chlorine. I think filtering water removes minerals too. If your fridge filter gets those things out then it should be ok. When it says 10 cloves... Don't think more is ok. Unless you love, love, love them.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2020 :  08:02:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

Went to Albany this weekend to visit Pumpkin. On my way back I decided to stop in Plattsburgh for my weekly grocery shopping and was shocked to see an empty store of essential necessities. What is going on? What's the buzz on TP? The meat counters were bare except for hot sausages!

The frozen vegetable section was completely bare ..

and so was the root vegetable section! Not a potato to be had!

And the paper product aisle .... need I say more?

Gosh, what is going on with people? People had massively filled shopping carts! ... You couldn't eat all that in 6 months! Here I was with my reduce size cart attempting to get my normal staples! lol I tell you .... I found my experience at Hannafords a lot scarier than the virus!

Stay healthy everyone .... physically and emotionally!

Farmgirl hugs

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Mar 17 2020 08:06:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2020 :  1:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole -- yes, it's pretty crazy. People are in panic mode but I think it will quiet down somewhat in a few weeks when they don't have room to put anything else. People forget the toilet paper, etc. is still being manufactured, it's not like it will never be here again. II was a little upset to find none of the little alcohol squares that I use for blood sugar testing. What people are going to do with one inch squares of alcohol soaked cotton is beyond me.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24

Edited by - StitchinWitch on Mar 17 2020 1:46:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2020 :  2:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In September, three years ago President Trump said we needed to get enough food for a couple of weeks, and also water. I already had some but continued to buy a couple of items each week. I was really into saving water too. Then we had our power outage due to the ice storm in February three years ago. That was an eye opener! I was not ready...we had oil lamps but my husband could not read by them.
So after that rude awakening we bought propane lanterns & extra little propane bottles. I read and read. Now there are light sticks in the bathroom. I learned that if you hang one over a corner of the mirror it will reflect the light and light up your bathroom. Ours don't have Windows so they are dark.
I was shocked to learn how people are so dependent on electricity and walmart.
I told my husband just the other day...we have food to eat but he will not like the fact that he won't have a pork chop or other piece of meat at every meal. Recently I have canned dry pinto beans. It takes a lot of water to wash, soak and cook a pot of pintos. Better to can them now when water flows from our tap.
Now...i read last night and from a different source this morning that April 10th could be a big day??? They said we would have ten days of darkness so be sure to have some food to eat and water.
I don't know but if they do make our power disappear people won't. be happy. I guess it is supposed to begin April 1 and end Good Friday. Who knows.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Mar 17 2020 2:43:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2020 :  3:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I hope not but it's a good idea to be ready for an emergency. I was at the store yesterday for a couple of things and people are still pushing their carts around in a frenzy. If you're not careful, it's so easy to get caught up in it.
Our governor just declared yesterday to have restaurants, bars, etc. only open for take out or drive up. We had to go to then neighboring town this morning, about 40 minutes away. I thought that the noon traffic was WAY lighter than normal. Couldn't eat at our favorite restaurant so we hit a drive through on the way home. I think we would have been better to pack our own lunch! I probably will next time! We were talking to our son on the phone while we were eating and he was telling us about listening to some podcast about this virus and how it started...was it some kind of conspiracy....yikes! I messaged him later to STOP listening to podcasts!!! haha
I came home kind of in a funk and decided that I should just visit the henhouse and catch up on what you girls were doing and cheer myself up! And it worked. Now I think I will go hide in my sewing room for awhile and do something productive.
Stay healthy, everyone! We will get through this! Farmgirls are resourceful!!!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2020 :  7:10:49 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds strange, Marilyn. Where did you read about this 10 days of darkness? All I can find when I google is in reference to an anime game.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  07:25:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't remember where I saw it Linda. I will check my history on you tube and see if I can find it...later.
We drove into town last night to sonic for a burger. They had so many cars, at 8:30 pm. I said something about them being so busy and my husband said it was because they could not go to a sit down restaurant. As we drove through down town there were so many cars. There is a big bar/eatery on one side of the square. As we drove a bit further we passed Fuzzys Tacos. They had a huge crowd too..sitting at their outside picnic tables. My husband said something about them sitting too close together...to which I replied that they were drinking so they had lost their "caution".
Maybe it was the last night before the businesses have to give up?????
The restaurant where Had works had big take out at noon yesterday...but people still came in and sat down to order and eat. She said she took Lysol spray, wipes and hand sanitizer...and used them frequently and liberally.
Debbie don't be afraid of what your son heard on a podcast...that is about the only way to get the news today. Even Fox is Trying to censor their best reporter's now.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  11:53:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok. Linda, she said that what she posted yesterday about the ten days of darkness was not accurate.we should not be totally dark...but we may see periods of time when your internet won't work or your social media may .be off for a bit
. she thinks it will only be for short periods of time.
She also said that POTUS may be interrupting to give us information and updates during that time before Easter.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  5:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We seldom eat out but made the decision not to eat out at all. Restaurant workers along with everyone else, can have the virus before they are aware of it, some people show no symptoms at all. Better safe than sorry.
It wouldn't surprise me if the internet might be down at times. I'm afraid this situation is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
DH finds it hard to stay home. Today he was at the feed store and ran into a younger friend who chewed him out for being out on the town. He said to call him if we needed anything and he would get it for us. It lifts my heart to see people being so nice.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  7:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a call this evening from my son. He said "M o m...I don't think you should go to town. If you need something I can bring it to you."
I said " But if you go you could get sick too."
It was nice of him to offer and I know he can do it., but if he gets sick I would feel very guilty.
He did tell me that at the hospital where Bay works every one is checked at a station set up outside the front doors. Nurses, doctors, regular people...Everyone! That is good. If anyone shows fever or any symptoms they are taken to a ward the hospital has set up. So that is good to know. I had heard that some hospitals need more masks. So I asked about that. She told him they have been assured that there is more than plenty of supplies...for a long time. He asked me to pray for her and I told him I do several times each day. Had worries me. She is being careful but she does not think she will get it.
My husband told me tonight that he needs to go to town...for dog and cat food. I told him that every time he goes into a store he risks getting the virus. I accompanied him to dollar tree last Monday...a place he does not shop. Because I had seen that they had some large cans of Friskies cat food. $1 per can. Had it been me...i would have bought every can. But not him. He read the labels and finally selected 7 cans. One weeks supply.
I give up!!!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  05:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My approach to this pandemic is to listen to the medical guidelines that are given to us through the CDC via the Presidential task force. Listen to Dr. Fauci on the Govt. task force! Each state governor is immediately working with all our Mayors and the Federal Govt for best practices for each state based on what is happening in that state. Our Governor has been actively engaged with every local community and the Feds on creating immediate steps for all of us to take. My suggestion for people is to listen to what your Governor and state is doing and follow. Here in Florida, we have done what most states are doing and closing schools, asking everyone to practice social distancing, churches are going to only virtual services until further notice, and be aware of what symptoms are associated with this virus, and where you might be able to be tested. Because of the issue of getting virus testing widely available, stay in touch with your local and state news about where and how that is rolling out in your area. It is also true that many people who actually get sick with Coronavirus will not require hospitalization because the symptoms can be treated at home like many other viruses. So know that high fever, cough and trouble breathing ARE the symptoms that should send you to a physician for immediate evaluation. This is a new virus and nobody in the world have any antibodies. Therefore, we are all susceptible to catching it. But again, many people could be positive for the virus but asymptomatic, have a mild case, or have a serious case. Until testing becomes more widely available, be prepared to focus of staying out of crowds and taking care of yourself if you start to get sick.

When people do not take the Coronavirus seriously, they risk spreading it more quickly. for example, kids on Spring brake here in Florida are filling the beaches everywhere and disregarding all social distancing guidelines. This will be an issue our Governor will have to get on top of quickly since these young people seem to want to ignore any restraints on their fun. But, we all have to realize that this virus is going to take a long time to get control us. Businesses are having to close, and only essential services like grocery stores, pharmacies, medical facilities and other services where employees don’t have to mingle in big crowds. This is exactly why the government is passing legislation to provide extensive unemployment insurance, paid sick leave, and means to provide food services for the food insecure populations. There are talks underway at present to put cash in the hands of people who have lost their jobs and have no benefits, and money to help provide loans to small businesses to weather this uncertain future.

What is most unhelpful is listening to disinformation from the internet, FB, and others who like to make up their own sources of authority. This is a time we must all be together in our efforts to stay well , take care of people in need, If we can stay well, we will not add to the already crushing work that hospitals are finding themselves in already. Listen to your Governor, Mayors, and you can watch the President’s updates each day around noon. But be aware that your state guidelines are going to impact you the most because that is what is happening to your areas. Our Governors are all working closely with the Govt ., FEMA, and hospitals to bring the best and safest plans to keep their citizens safe. Follow along closely to what and where your own services are working and just do social distancing and work to stay well. Together, we as a nation must help each other by doing what is necessary to help ourselves and loved ones. It might be a very long process so we all have to stick together. This is a national crisis , a global crisis , and it is going to be difficult in the days and weeks ahead.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  06:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said Winnie. I think Facebook is one of the worst places to be right now even though it is supposed to be encouraging SOCIAL interaction but I find it fraught with political and now medical (dis)information. Much stupidity also so I am taking a much needed break from there for however long it takes for me.

I need to go out and find Benadryl. Hopefully the DG close by has it back in stock so I can get in and get out. Allergy season is upon us even though sinusitis has never left.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 19 2020 06:16:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  06:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie did someone in authority decide that the $$$$$$$ from teens and young adults was more important than the health and well being of those young people and everyone they will encounter while at the beach, on their way home, and their families as well as the doctors and nurses who will be caring for them. This happened in Florida and Texas too. I heard that the beaches will close on
Monday, March 23.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  07:09:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update on shopping. My hubby, DIL and Had went to Wal-Mart late last night. 10:15 they left home. He bought dog food, cat food and whatever he saw that we might use. I asked when he got back...what did the store look like? Bare...very little in the way of anything.
Good news. Next week several stores will open at 6 am for seniors and disabled people so they can shop for one hour. The stores ate supposed to be very clean and sanitized. So far Dollar General, Big Lots, HEB, and Wal-Mart are the choices. Of course there are other places where you can shop on line, pay with credit card...then as you arrive at the store, give them a call and they will run your package out to you.
Our local quilting fabric store is one of those.
Store hours have been lessened a second time too by several stores.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Mar 19 2020 07:11:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  10:12:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem with young people is they think they will live forever. They have the "It won't happen to me" mentality. It's not until they get older that they start realizing how precious time is.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic March 2020 ~ Spring on the horizon Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page