2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2019 :  10:16:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone,

Doing a bit of catching up.

Denise, I am so sorry to read about your chickens.

Linda, congratulations on working towards a new home. As for the sewing room organization, first I would suggest that you aim, if possible, for your own room. Not sure what you are looking for in terms of organizing but I use plastic bins for my projects and store my fabrics (for the moment) in large plastic bins. I'm aiming for a large fabric closet myself! lol

Julie, Just the other day I was thinking about you as I watched our snowstorm. Seems we are having an early winter. I don't even have my snow tires on! It is so darn cold here ... so quickly too!

I didn't see/feel the time change. I spent that week in Sedona enjoying the beautiful energy & scenery. The weather was amazing, in the 70 most of the week and cool in the evening. I particularly enjoyed the evening stary sky ... with all the light from the US/Canadian border, we have so little stars visible.

Aside from that, not much is going on. I lead quite a quiet life and like it that away.

Catch you all later.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Nov 15 2019 08:10:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2019 :  10:18:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Linda on your new home!! It sounds like you have a lot of fun mixed with packing months ahead, but it will be worth it once you get moved and unpacked. All of your upcoming trips sound like so much fun and it will be nice to enjoy new places and just relax!

Julie, I have been thinking about you all and the harvest completion. I sure hope the right weather holds and you can finally finish up. Wow, this has been quite the year for farmers with so much un expected weather issues. Sending up prayers for a quick wrap up before more bad weather sets in.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2019 :  04:24:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole sounds like you enjoyed a great time!

Julie I hope all is going well and that you are soon finishing up the harvesting time.

Linda congratulations on your new home. It is a lot of work but exciting time too! Are you finished with all the treatments now? Prayers for healing from the radiation.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2019 :  07:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning Ladies,
Has anyone put their tree or in my case trees up yet? I finally caved to my husband and grandsons wishes and put up the one in the family room. I haven't decorated it yet, I will wait until Saturday so Oliver can help me. He is so excited for Christmas and has already wrote his letter to Santa. There is simply no holiday as exciting to a 6 year old as Christmas and it makes us all a little bit cheerier. Fall and Thanksgiving still remain in the rest of the house until after turkey day. We are planning to have our family Thanksgiving on Sunday and just a few friends who have nowhere to go over on Thanksgiving. For Sunday I have a 22 lb. turkey and just an 8 lb. for Thursday. We love turkey leftovers, so looking forward to it.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2019 :  08:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Carole -
It is my own room - both what are now the den and the office will be MINE! As of now, a lot of my fabric is in bins, and the rest will be in bins when I pack it all up. I have leftover craft supplies that a good friend of mine will get much of to use with her granddaughter. LOL! Ed is going to make me an ironing board rectangular topper for ironing larger quilt projects. I have an 8-foot countertop with Container Store basket drawers at each end in my sewing house now, and may take it to use for a start. Right now it is covered with "stuff" and I quilt in the dining room in the house anyway. I want to get a comfy chair (or two) if I have room; I have a drop leaf round table and one of the taller cutting tables on wheels. My off-white Martha Stewart china cabinet that I use for my finished quilts will go at one end of the room. I have to see what I can get in without feeling and looking crowded. LOL!

No trees (or ladder trees like the past 2 years) here this year since we leave before Christmas for Germany and return the 30th. Well, I will bring out the small porcelain/china? tree with light bulb inside that my sister made me years ago. Usually I have a lot of Christmas up but not this year. Ed will also put all 5 of my 3-5' wooden cats on the fence posts - I think my new neighbors daughter, Brenda, will love to see them. She always runs to Ed and calls him grandpa when she sees him.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2019 :  12:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No tree or decorations here this year. No one is coming here and it's not worth the fuss and bother of putting up and taking down.I'm getting old and lazy. I'll go to my daughter's for Christmas dinner.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2019 :  4:15:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No trees here yet. Ours goes up on the 2nd of December. It is our tradition, has been since our son was born.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2019 :  4:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We always have a live tree and get it on Friday after Thanksgiving.
Wow! I let my time fly by me. I did not realize this month will be over next Saturday!!!
I spent most of today out doors working. It was frustrating, but when the North wind blows we shall be warmer. Boy oh boy did it rain today...not rain drops but leaves! Now we have about four inches of leaves everywhere! It was warm but oh so windy all day. Finally I drug my very tired body to the sewing room about 3:30 and worked furiously trying to put some things away. That will be my focus tomorrow, to finish so I can take some fabric tubs back out there. I too sew at the table in my kitchen.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2019 :  6:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent yesterday sweeping and raking. The wind started blowing in the middle of the night; I had to get up and close the window. Today the yard is ankle deep in leaves. I need to remember to not be in such a hurry to rake leaves.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2019 :  06:06:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out where we are here we don't bother with raking leaves. There is so much woods around we'd never be able to keep up.
It is quite cold here today. Trying to decide the best time to start using the wood furnace. Has to be cold enough to keep it running so the fire stays going. I think it may be soon! I doubt we will get to many more days in the 50's. It's hard to tell here. We are in a place where sometimes we have what up north gets it and sometimes we get it much milder.
We rarely have snow until after January. This year we've already had flurries, no accumulation. Very hard to tell what we are going to get.

Spent yesterday afternoon wrapping Christmas gifts. I always like to get that done and then I store them in tubs to keep little eyes from seeing them. LOL.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Nov 21 2019 07:52:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2019 :  07:05:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't rake leaves either, I have a lawn sweeper I hook behind my lawn mower and it takes care of the job pretty quick.

I need to do some wrapping this morning as well. Over the weekend I went to a couple of small neighboring towns to bazaars and craft shows and shopped their main street stores.I am loving this shop small business decision for gifts, it has made the whole experience worthwhile with all the personalized service and appreciation from the store owners.

It's cold today, so it looks like it will be able to combine day after lunch.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2019 :  1:56:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't rake leaves, except to layer into my raised bed. I love walking through the deepness of the brown leaves. Last night I swept a good sized pile out of the utility room because every time we opened the screen door more blew inside, the curly doggie always brings some inside and I did too.
I have not shopped for gifts...because according to Hadlee we are doing things different this year. Of course she has told us several different ideas over the past two months, so hopefully we will learn from her mom this Sunday, exactly what they have planned. I'm thinking it will be good, and cheaper...a lot cheaper.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 21 2019 1:58:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2019 :  2:40:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used to give gifts to everyone but as the family grew it got to be a bit much buying for about 25 people so we started doing a white elephant exchange and we only had to bring one nice gift each. Much cheaper and a lot less shopping to do.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2019 :  4:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son has been married for 29 years. His wife always made her Christmas list...a very expensive list. Finally...now that she has retired at 52 she does not want to spend money on gifts. Oh well.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2019 :  7:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. We have had snow here so it seems appropriate to have the Christmas tree up. But, I don't decorate until December 1. I have two little artificial trees I put up. One with Scandanavian decorations the other is between the kitchen (with kitchen related stuff and birds on animals on the other side by the dining room.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  05:13:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do two trees. A small skinny one in the front room and a big one for the family room. Our son always put it up for us but this year we (I) will be doing it. Lol. JT is not a Christmas person. So Christmas is what I make it. I love Christmas but don't do a lot of spending. We have a set amount. I do like to add small touches. Each one gets a small gift card for the local convenience store for gas or coffee sort of thing. Last year I made sleighs out of different candies. Pinterest is a great help for those ideas. I also made ornaments out of scrabble tiles with each name spelled out. Haven't figured out what I'm doing like that this year. But I have all my gifts done except for two. We have 3 birthdays coming between thanksgiving and Christmas so I've gotten gifts and wrapped them for those too. Yesterday i started working on my Christmas cards.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Nov 22 2019 05:18:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  06:17:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One year, when the kids were young teens, I got two tissue boxes, the cube kind. I carefully removed the tissues by cutting the bottom of the box on three sides. Next I gathered $1s, $5s, 10s and a couple of $wow along with a few gift cards for food. I carefully taped these into two long strips. On the front end I taped a note and stapled on a tissue tissue. Next was decorating the boxes, then inserting the rolls of $$s, taping the bottom so they would not suspect a thing. Lastly I gently pulled the tissue up through the hole. These were given to them together after every other gift was opened. It was so much fun to see their faces, and hear their reactions.
Denise I love your idea about the gift cards to the convenience store. We all buy our gas or diesel at one of the Allsups in town. I think there are four of them now. I also like the scrabble tile ornament idea. So I need to see how many letters are left. I will definitely get the gift cards for Allsups. Thanks!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  06:54:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had a great week os cool and dry temperatures! Sweaters every day, can you believe me saying this?? LOL!! However, we are headed up for another warm spell and it is looking like Thanks giving will be close to 80. It always happens that when our Christmas trees arrive down here, it turns hot again and the poor things just wither away even when you water them daily. That aside, I have been loving all the cool days and just relishing in the arrival of Fall and working on swaps and other planning for the holidays. It seems like once Thanksgiving Day hits, the holiday season jets off to a whirlwind of activity of that leaves us all exhausted by New Year's Arrival. Anyone else have this same sort of experience?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  08:21:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my goodness, my eldest grand just sent me a text, complete with pictures. She was asking me if I want the wood floor they are taking up in the remodel they are working on. Of course I said yes.
Last week my husband brought me some very nice wire shelving...you know the kind people use in closets and pantries. A
Earlier in the summer my husband brought in a desk complete with wall mounted cabinets above it.. I have lived in lots of houses that I fixed up by painting the walls and cleaning. That is not good enough for people now days.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  08:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. Flooring is great ! We out ysed flioring in eds bedroom at Ed’s house. Looks great and was easy!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  08:41:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are pier and beam...so we put cement board down before we laid our tile 21 years ago. The tile needs to be reworked due to cracking. I will have to wait to see how large the room was that the wood came from. Then we can decide where to use it. I am so thankful.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  08:54:34 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ed’s house is oier and beam, too, with plywood on top, except in bathroom where there is tile. Linoleum in kitchen.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2019 :  09:00:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was teaching on cement, the Christmas holiday and summer were so nice on pier and beam.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2019 :  05:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are putting down new flooring in the kitchen. Nothing spectacular, just something to cover the old worn stuff.
We bought some linoleum, does anyone use that in their kitchen anymore? lol. I did not want those vinyl squares and ceramic tile gets too cold in here in winter. We have ceramic in our foyer and it's like walking on ice if you don't have shoes on.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2019 :  4:56:35 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
When we get Ed's place ready to sell we will use linoleum in the kitchen. It has very old linoleum now, and definitely needs changing.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Thankful November ~2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page