treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2019 :  07:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have coyotes in the yard all the time. A couple of nights ago one was dragging a rag across the yard that had fallen out of one of the semi's. Keith got a couple of shots at it, but it ducked behind one of the barns. Last year I lost 8 chickens to them. My chickens get to free range in the yard if it is above zero and they go in their coop at night on their own. We were combining and when I went to lock them up for the night, they were gone. I searched the pasture and found a few feathers next to a den where there were pups. Keith took care of those real quick, so it didn't happen again. They are usually a lot more afraid of us than we are of them. But I don't like it when they come right up to the house howling at nights. I keep a supply of fireworks on hand to shoot off the deck to scare them away.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2019 :  08:08:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a great idea Julie. Thanks. Bay and T keep Shadow the pit bull inside at night. He scared them one night because he went after a pack. They called and called...of course he could not hear them due to all of the yelping and his own barking. Finally he came back. But that experience taught them a good lesson. Coyote have been known to bait dogs, by leaving one of their own to yelp. When the dog goes after it he is attacked by the Pack. When they come into our yard that is too close.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2019 :  1:57:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I am sorry about your chickens!
I am so glad that fall is here but it's going so fast! I will be sad to see it go.
Julie, we were just at a farm conference on Monday and listened to Eric Snodgrass, a weather forecaster who works with Farm Credit on their conferences. He had a presentation on the upcoming weather and showed pictures of farming going on right now where you live. I FEEL for you guys! I can't imagine how hard it must be not only trying to get your crops in...but having to battle the rain and snow and trying to get dried out in between. I hope all goes well for you for the rest of the month!
I haven't mastered driving the semi yet...I'm glad that you can do it! I really need to learn how one of these days. The one time that my husband was trying to teach me I almost burned up the clutch...and sadly, I didn't smell it getting hot. It was one of those LONG, TIRED days of harvesting and I decided that I had had it for the day and I was going to QUIT. So, I took off walking down the road to the house. Brad didn't know what to think! He said, "you need to get back here! what will the neighbors think?" hahaha! I didn't really care what the neighbors might think at that point! It's funny now but wasn't a fun day when it happened. Thankfully, my "boss" rehired me and hasn't been desperate enough since then to get me behind the wheel of his truck!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2019 :  1:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had coyotes coming right up to the houses. Some nights I really enjoy listening to them, trying to pick out the individual voices. And some nights they really creep me out!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2019 :  6:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie I hear you on the semi driving. I won't go on the highway and I will only stay in the lower gears, but at least I can get it to the yard. We aren't even hoping it dries out anymore, we are going on frozen ground and hope it stays cold so we can keep going. I keep telling my husband he should fire the hired help, but he hadn't agreed to it yet.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2019 :  7:04:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, Julie...you sound tired. I wish I lived next door and was younger and could help out. Since that is not possible...I will pray for you and your husband.
God bless y'all.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2019 :  05:14:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Julie that has to be difficult harvesting when it's wet. Stay warm and well.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2019 :  06:47:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, I am down here praying and rooting for a final successful push to wrap up the harvest! Like Judith, I am not there to help in any way, but I am sending lots of Farmgirl hugs and southern Grit to you!! Let us know how it all goes.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  12:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tori is with us this weekend so she and I went out this morning shopped a little, met friends for lunch and shopped a little more. But the wind was just about knocking us over while we were out. I put beef tips in the crockpot this morning to cook for supper. They are already done and keeping warm. I love easy meal days with my crockpot. I do more of this type of cooking during the cold months. Love all the soups, stews and tons of other things I can put in there.

Julie I haven't forgotten about the freezer meals. Most of the ones I use are from Pinterest. There are so many on there. I need to get going and get some done for when company comes over the holidays.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  4:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beef tips sounds yummy. I'm hungry.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  5:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too! I took some sausage out of the freezer for dinner but DH came home and said he saved money buying his new tires so he's going to take me out to dinner. I can't turn down an offer like that so we'll have he sausage tomorrow.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  5:56:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Judith you have a thoughtful husband. Enjoy your dinner.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  8:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the prayers ladies. Denise I really try to stay off Pinterest, it can be a real time sucker.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2019 :  11:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn -- I have he bestest husband. It took a long time for us to get together but it was sue worth the wait.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2019 :  07:07:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Fall everyone! Wanted to get on here and update all of you... we buried Cassandra Grace, or Cassie, on Thursday. Thank you all so much for the cards you have sent!!! Physically I am doing okay... my incision is infected, so dealing with that.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2019 :  11:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon my cancer surgery incision also got infected... Because of the steri strips used to close my incision. That is how we found out I am allergic to them.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2019 :  12:12:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My hysterectomy incision also got infected. Apparently my body doesn't like metal staples, but it gave me an extra week off work.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2019 :  11:48:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful day here today. We have two Royal Paulonia trees and it seems they all received the memo yesterday to drop their leaves in one day. We watched them all floating down while having breakfast. Today they are both bare. Never noticed they lost them like that.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2019 :  10:24:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another 81 degree day here in Florida, but we had two days of wonderful cooer temps! It is hard to even wrap my arms around the fact that Christmas is hurling towards us at breakneck speed. I feels weird because we have had only a handful of what would be categorized as Fall days. Plus, I want to hold on to November for as long as possible and doing Christmas stuff interferes with my focus on just November. Plain , simple, lovely November! The seas have finally quieted and hurricane season is ends on November 30. It is so freeing not to have to watch the tropics for potential bad storms coming to Florida!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2019 :  5:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I understand. We have birthdays to prepare for after Thanksgiving and before Christmas. It seems we rush from one event to the next. I am trying to get things done ahead just so I can enjoy the days as they come.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2019 :  08:21:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, how goes the harvest?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2019 :  8:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, different subject from coyotes.

We are buying the house. We will be moving and selling our houses, mine first I think, in the spring. We have our December cruise to Germany and January cruise to the southern Caribbean to finish before getting ready. Tomorrow they are measuring for carpeting and flooring, then we have to pick it out; next Monday or Tuesday they are putting on a new roof paid for by the current owners' insurance (except we are paying to upgrade to Category 4 so hail cannot affect it); the current owners are fixing the things that showed up on the inspection report that we need changed; and while we are on one of the cruises they will put in the flooring. Lots to do.

I have SO much to pack. One thing I have been thinking about is how to arrange my new sewing/craft room(s). Need to think about some IKEA storage. Anyone have a great layout for a quilting room they use?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2019 :  07:03:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Linda on the new house. How wonderful that you will no longer have a his and hers but an ours home. Debbie, we have been at a stand still for a few days. It hit zero for a few days and than we got 4 inches of snow. But the temps are back into the 20's and the snow has settled enough for us to get back at it today. I used my free time wisely though, babysat the grands a couple of times. We love to have play dates with them. Went to the big city for a Much needed chiropractor appt, and pick up farm supplies and of course stops at Joanne's, Hobby Lobby and the book store were required as well. I managed to work on a few Christmas gifts and sip lots of tea in front of the fire place. A much needed break. We have about 3 or 4 days left of soybeans and than we can move onto the corn if it is dried down enough.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2019 :  07:33:58 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Julie. We love the house and are looking forward to a bit less maintenance on our 2 properties. And you are so busy - glad you got a little break to go shopping. I have all my Christmas gifts for Germany completed; I just need to quickly decide how I am going to get them there: USPS ($125), FedEX ($$$ don't know yet), Carry extra bag on airplane ($100+).

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2019 :  09:21:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, our trip to Hawaii in 1982 taught me to take as little as possible. My son packed a suitcase full of starched jeans, quite heavy, and never even opened it. So If it were me I would ship it USPS.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Thankful November ~2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page