levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2019 :  9:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny the date still says October 31st as I post but it is after midnight here so it is November 1st.
Seems like we wait all year for this wonderful Fall season and it just speeds by. Before we know it we will be into the cold months of winter. Some are already having snow.

Our plans for Thanksgiving this year are up in the air just now. With kids spread out it seems we might be traveling possibly to spend it with our son. His birthday is a few days later so we might celebrating both things together.
His work schedule may or may not allow for him to be able to come here so we might be going to him.
Does anyone else have plans for the upcoming holiday?

Not to be depressing but we will mark the passing of my sister This month. Can it be 6 yrs already? She passed 11/12/13. How does time seem to pass so quickly?

Edited by - levisgrammy on Oct 31 2019 9:51:39 PM

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  03:24:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to Autumn once again...this taste of winter has been a wake up call that we are not ready yet. Thankfully God is giving us more time to prepare.
Our plans for Thanksgiving...we will go up the road to my son's home just like we always do. Julie had been home to Wisconsin twice now in the past three months, her parents are both gone now.
Sunshine, beautiful autumn sunshine...I was thinking yesterday about how it makes us think it is warm...but sometimes it is deceiving. Autumn is speeding by us, already 2/3 gone.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  06:21:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had some terrible winds and rains last night to usher in the new month. Limbs are down but we still have power. I know some don't. The wind is still blowing though not as hard and the sun is shining.
Waiting for JT to get back from rehab and find out what is on his schedule for today. Then heading to an appointment and doing some errands before the kids come over. The oldest two grands asked to spend the night so we will be putting them to work as well as having some fun things to do.
JT wants to see if our grandson is able to take a couple motors out of some machines for him. He loves to spend time with his Papa and I'm sure he will love learning something new. That is fun to them!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  06:39:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just came in from the chicken coop. Seems we have lost 8 hens. We found two just inside the woods. We were letting them free range but guess we aren't doing that for a while. JT thinks a cat got them. We saw one sitting on a woodpile right near them. Not sure if it can get into the hen house to get them or what but we will be needing to get the yard covered. We are down to 10 girls now. Definitely need to get things made safer for them.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  08:00:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The year is speeding by and for us in the Ag field in the Midwest we will not be sad to see it go. November will hopefully bring a finish to harvest if we can avoid the snow. Most of the crop is very wet so it all has to be dried before putting it in the bins for storage. We are fortunate enough to have our own drying system instead of having to rely on the elevator and their high drying fees, but it means a lot more extra work and long hours. Last year we combined on Thanksgiving Day, this year might not be much different. It is snowing here today so I will enjoy a day in the house. I have several boxes of tomatoes that have been ripening in the laundry room and I need to go through them and can either salsa or some crushed tomatoes. We did a car for trunk or treat at our church last night and I need to clean that out. It was cold and clear out and we had a lot of kids come through. Lots of fun for us who don't get many in the country and the kids.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  3:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie,
Here's hoping you get lots of good night's sleep during this busy time for you.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  3:44:55 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good wishes for all our farm sisters who are involved in harvesting.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  6:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, how many helpers does your husband have? I can't even imagine how difficult and cold it must be!
This is my little prayer for you and your husband:
Dear Lord, our farm girl sister Julie and her husband need your help. They are in the midst of harvesting crops which must be dried before storage. Please wrap your loving arms around them, please give them good sleep each night, so they can get up and work the next day. Please give them good weather. The life of farmers is challenging, but you know how much we love your land and your critters. Thank you for helping. thank you for allowing us to tend to your land and your animals.
Thank you for every breath we take, every step we make, for strong backs and minds. We love you God. In Jesus name, Amen.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2019 :  8:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, it is just the 2 of us. We do hire some custom combines and truckers if they are available from time to time but I grew up on a farm and ranch and am able to run every piece of equipment we have. I am not crazy about driving the semi's, but if I have to in a pinch I will. When we have to hire people to do the job we are capable of doing it is just money out of our pocket. It might take us a bit longer, but we get the job done. Thank You for your prayers, every farmer and rancher needs them right now.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2019 :  04:14:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are welcome Julie. And yes we all need God with us at all times. Farming is hard work, long hours, and sometimes things just don't work out. Other times things are awesome.you

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2019 :  04:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That’s a great prayer, Marilyn. Julie, you are a super farm girl. That is very hard work. I could not do that. You are an inspiration.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2019 :  04:47:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweet and quiet November drifted in following an exceptional HOT Halloween. We had a good amount of children stopped by but their faces were all sweaty and Moms were carrying face masks and other parts of hot costumes. But they were all happy to be out and having fun. One older boy laughed and just said Ï am just powering through the heat”as he enjoyed his really hot , but fun, scary pumpkin costume. Kids are great!!

With a thankfully cooler weekend, I was able to be outside more and it felt like a gift! Last week was one for the records: August in late October! With the hot days last week, I did a lot of cleaning out and making runs to the various recycle sites and thrift stores. IT seems that stuff piles up and up and. Then you just have to make a determination to take care of it all. With the cooler days, I need to get more weeding done in the front yard. The weeds and vines have consumed part of an azalea by my front door and are now wanting to hear up the side of the house. Serious pulling and a pruning is in order!

Julie, sending my best to you and your hubby for a successful completion of the harvest season. It is such hard work that you and all farmers do to keep the rest of the nation fed. For all that your and thousands of other Ag workers, I thank-you and and send my prayers for good working conditions to wrap up 2019. Farmers helped build this nation and continue to keep meals on the table.

Denise, I am so sad to hear that 8 of your sweet Girls were killed!! Chickens are so vulnerable and I know it must be awful to find them dead with no warning.

Yes, November is here and with it the realization that another year is swiftly ending. Where does the time go? I love this month of the year and hopefully it will be cooler than October and provide more time to be outdoors and enjoy Nature and peacefully reading time on my porch.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6079 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6079 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2019 :  06:22:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy day everyone!

Hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2019 :  09:46:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Darlene! How are you doing?
Did everyone remember to turn their clocks back? I bet there were a lot of people late to church today.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2019 :  1:36:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the only thing the extra hour did for me was one more hour to not sleep. I was up at 5. Stayed up and made coffee and all ready. I was hurrying around to get ready for services and realized JT had not set the clock back so then I took my time gettin ready which was a nice relief. Lol.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2019 :  3:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to set my clock on the stove back. Of course my phone and Kindle fire set themselves. I gave myself a day off from cooking...went to the barbeque place and paid them for sliced brisquit, chicken, beans and potato salad. I had a yellow cake in the toaster oven and it smelled so good when I got back. Sliced bread peaches and tea and everyone ate their fill.
The only thing about the time change, that does not excite me is how early it gets dark and how many hours until bed time. If I go to bed too early I wake up at 2am or 3am. That is not good.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 05 2019 7:31:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2019 :  05:33:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trying to get in the swing of the time change. Went to bed at 8:30 because I was exhausted. Slept till 5 went back to sleep till 6. So I got plenty of sleep. Hoping it helps get me back into a normal time sleep pattern.

Just found out a friend of mine lost her brother and her mom a week later. So sad for her.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2019 :  07:02:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So something got into the hens again. Thinking maybe a hawk because there is no way something can get over the fence. We are going to have to make their run smaller so if it is a hawk won't have the space to get in or out.
Makes me so sick that they are being taken . We found them so whatever is killing them is taking them just inside the wooded area.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2019 :  07:45:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, our neighbors keep their hens in an open topped area with 8' high fence. They thought hawks were getting theirs. So Enie took his shot gun and went out there to watch and shoot. He was so shocked when he saw a mamma coyote climb right up that fence...over the top. grab a hen and climb back up. Jump and run.she had some skinny pups to feed.
I think they have four hens left. They brought me their new chicks. They just did not want to feed the coyote any more.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 05 2019 07:49:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2019 :  09:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, in all the years we have lived here 20+ I have never seen a coyote. But we have had trouble with fox in the past. I imagine if a coyote can get over an 8 foot fence so can a fox. I'm going to tell JT. We have stuff to put over the top but just haven't gotten it put on. Maybe now we will.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2019 :  11:48:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I'm glad you don't have coyotes. I guess I saw too many cowboy and Indian movies as a kid...because when a pack of coyotes begins to yelp and howl...they sound like a war party of Indians to me.
My neighbor said they could not believe that mama climbed over an 8 foot high fence. She said it was like a ladder for her. And once she knew she could get food she came back for more. I think they lost a dozen hens.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 05 2019 11:51:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2019 :  7:23:36 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've had coyotes run across my pastures several times. And I hear them quite a bit especially this time of year when it starts getting cold. And I agree, they sound like whooping Indians.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2019 :  7:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, you are the first person who has ever agreed with me on that!
After living in town or just at the edge of towns from age 6 until I was 32, we bought a place way out in the boonies,20 miles out in the very dark country. Then my husband went down near Austin to help build a house for a family who had lived here. One night the wind got up...the shed door would swing shut, with a loud pop...Then it would screech open again and spam shut! That was bad enough and about the time we got brave enough to go out in the dark to attempt to stop that noise...we heard those coyotes yelping! I was scared, my 12 year old son was scared too. But we quickly got our wits about us, gathered up our clothes for school the next day, got into our vehicle and drove to town to the safety of granny Cleo's house. She did not even laugh at us!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2019 :  7:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had never ever heard a pack of coyotes yelping like that! Never in my 32 years.But I have heard plenty since then. They always send chills down my back.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2019 :  04:18:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We blocked the doorway to the yard for them last night so we will see this morning if that worked. I don't think I'd like coyote around. When we left my daughter's place we saw a coyote crossing the road. Heading away from their housing area. She saw one one day while waiting for the girls to get off the bus. It was across the street from her. That would be too close for me!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2019 :  07:18:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When they are hungry when food is not readily available they will come close. We moved here with 24 cats...all lived outside, in the old barn. Within six months we did not have any because the coyotes would silently sneak up on the sleeping cats.
Last year they killed a mother cow giving birth and they feasted on her and her baby. Sick! But that is nature.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Thankful November ~2019 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page