Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2019 :  07:01:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
Mine wrote songs too. I have lots of songs he wrote and a tape of him and my mom singing one of their favorite songs, not his.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2019 :  09:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise you are blessed.
My daddy was 30 when he and my mother married.
So he had lived through a oil rig blow out and fire in New Mexico that killed some men and burned his brother.
He had spent endless months in St. Paul hospital after a bunch of drill stem (pipe) fell and crushed his hand. They wanted to amputate his hand, and give him a hook, but he said no! So eventually they had to remove the pinkie and ring fingers.
He had lived through the great depression.
So with money so tight, lots of bills to pay...he sold a song for $50. His name has never been associated with the song...publicly. The man who paid him for the song, turned around and sold it, to get his money back. That old corrupt governor of Louisiana is I believe the one who sang the song.
Anyway, every time I see the beginning of the song written down, or when I hear it sung... I say, "see Daddy, how happy your song still makes people feel."
This is how it begins: You are my sunshine, My only sunshine, You make me happy, When skies are grey, You'll never know Dear, how much I love you, Please don't take my sunshine away!
When I was about 12 is when I realized how talented he was.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Sep 24 2019 09:29:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2019 :  4:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't believe we are nearing the end of September already. I love October but not ready for the rush to the end of the year that seems to happen with every holiday. It just seems days fly by when the holidays start happening.

Marilyn, what was your father's name?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 25 2019 4:38:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2019 :  6:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My daddy was named Alton Roscoe Robinson. He was a good daddy. He loved me, as well as my sister and brother, and of course our mother.He always made sure I had a dime for a pay phone, if I ever needed one.You know if the old car broke down on my way home from a school function, club meeting, ball game, etc.
My daddy was born in 1910. He had three older brothers, although one was only about 18 months older than him. Then when he was five his baby brother arrived. Sadly his mom died when she was 39. He was only 10 his baby brother was five. Heart breaking. He said that the grandmotherly woman on the next farm kept them going. She showed him and the 11 year old brother how to cook, but the two oldest brothers were very critica of their efforts. When he was 14 his public school time was over...as it was for everyone in that day. His teachers wanted to send him to a Mensa School, somewhere in the east. His daddy could not afford it. So he was sent to North Texas State Teachers College (university of North Texas) now! He lived in the dorms, went to North Texas Demonstration High School, then right into college classes. He played basketball and was on the fast track to become an attorney. Then the great depression hit. He could not stay in college. So he found a job working on laying a pipeline up toward Ohio. Photos show them bundled up in lots of clothes. They slept in big tents. I can't even imagine! After that his hand was crushed. Then he was in the oil well fire, in New Mexico. He was up in the derrick, climbed over the basket slid down the cable, ran after his brother who was on fire. Another worker and my daddy grabbed his brother, rolled him in the dirt and put the fire out. His brother, and long hospital stays, but recovered.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Sep 25 2019 6:43:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2019 :  6:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, you need to write your memoirs down. I absolutely love hearing about your life! My grandparents used to sing that very song! Wow...what a small world!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2019 :  6:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Debbie. I'm glad your grandparents liked that song.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2019 :  07:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
A man named Paul Rice sold the song to Jimmie Davis and (someone) Mitchell in 1939 according to lots of sites. I was hoping that was him. Davis used it as a campaign song. Or at least he did when he was campaigning. Though he was for segregation so many associated that song with that.

I remember my grandmother's cousin who lived with us used to sing it. He knew the whole song by heart. My son in love used to sing it to my granddaughter when she was a baby.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1221 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1221 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2019 :  08:36:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love hearing about others family history. I have been battling a severe case of laryingitis this week. I sound like Alvin the Chipmunk, so I keep busy and try not to talk. Working on cleaning out the garden a bit, canning barbecue sauce today and starting a batch of apple cider vinegar. Keith wants to start chopping silage in the next couple of days so I will need to leave my projects, and pack the pile for him. Not a bad job, I put an audio book in my kindle and listen to a good book while I drive back and forth over the chopped corn.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2019 :  3:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I everybody! WE got back from Ireland about midnight last night and all day, I have been trying to do catch up for the past 15 days. The trip was very nice and Ireland is a beautiful country with a very interesting history and culture. We also had very cool weather and it was fun to be able to actually need a light sweater! Last night, when we finally got outside of the airports to go home, I couldn't believe it was still hot and humid! One of the best part of the trip was all the friendly people and wonderful food. Oh my, the scones, and biscuits are like the British..............melt in your mouth kinda thing! There was, however, a very dense and heavy Irish Brown Bread that is served with breakfast and orders of soup at restaurants. I found it delicious toasted or just plain with butter. In one of the museums I visited, I found a little cookbook with the favorite Irish breads and cakes. Now, I will need to translate ounces and grams into our measurements so I can try out some of these recipes. Stay tuned for how this all works out!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2019 :  4:13:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Denise, I do remember the name Paul Rice. I know my daddy was paid $50...in the 30s that was a chunk of money. This all happened before he married mother in 1940. And I was not born until 1943.
I always wondered why my daddy was so sad and upset about a submarine that went down somewhere, in the South Pacific, and every man on board died. It was only in the last few years that I realized he was never in the army as I had always believed...He was in the Navy! He had trained with those guys, made friends with them...so no wonder he grieved for them. He was not allowed to go overseas due to his hand. Other than that, he did not talk about the past, to us kids. He talked to mother and she answered our questions. As kids we sang that song...when she heard us she stopped, listened, and smiled! Then she told us the story.
When Baylee was in the sixth grade, one day she told me that her English teacher used the song in class. When Baylee said, "My granny' s daddy wrote that song," the teacher did not believer her. The teacher stopped me in the hall to hear my explanation.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Sep 26 2019 4:19:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2019 :  4:17:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your trip sounds wonderful, Winnie! Our cousins went to Ireland last year and they raved about the delicious food as well! I hope you can translate the recipes.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2019 :  5:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, sounds like you had a wonderful trip. I've always wanted to go to Ireland. I've often wondered if there is any of our family still there. No way to really find out though.
I hope you can figure out the recipes!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2019 :  5:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie,
I hope you are soon on the mend!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2019 :  9:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn - that is such a neat story about your dad writing You are my sunshine. That is a nice happy song.

Hope you are feeling better soon, Julie.

Well, our cruise is over. It was not what we had expected, but we still had a good time. This was on Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL) and our favorite line is Carnival. Things were different on this cruise, a few things were nice, and some we didn't care for. On this cruise there were several shows - 3 we didn't see, because you had to pay for them and they weren't anything we were really interested in. The other 3 were included and they were nice; one, though, was called Rock of Ages and was adapted from a Broadway show of the same name. The music was okay, but so LOUD! We are used to dining in one of the main dining rooms every night, and on this ship it was called Free Style - and you had to register to eat every night and there were several places you could eat that were included. The food was good, but we didn't think it was as good as on Carnival. The main thing that happened on this cruise was that we only went to 2 of the 4 scheduled ports. We went to San Juan, but because of Tropical storm Karen, we were not able to go to St. Thomas, one port we had really wanted to go to; instead we stayed in San Juan overnight and had an additional day in port there. That was nice, we got to see a bit more, but we missed St. Thomas. Then after an Juan we went to Tortola, the next scheduled port. We had never been to Tortola, so we enjoyed this port. On Tortola Ed took an excursion that was a bit more demanding than I wanted, and so I took a tour of the island that was very interesting. We left Tortola at 2:30 and headed for Nassau, with a sea day before we got to Nassau. In the morning, we had just awakened when the captain came on the PA system and announced that due to a passenger's medical emergency, we had had to turn back toward San Juan in the night in order to meet a helicopter that could land and pick up the passenger at daylight. Because of this long turnaround delay, which took numerous hours, we would now not be able to go to Nassau and would be heading directly back to Miami and would arrive there as scheduled. This meant another port we would not be going to go to, and another port Ed and I were looking forward to seeing. I had been there many years ago, but Ed had never been. Needless to say, Ed and I were both very disappointed, as were all the passengers. Many of them said that we should have still been able to go to Nassau, at least for a few hours, and they didn't know why we were skipping it. They reimbursed us a little for the itinerary changes and also gave us the port charges back for missing Nassau. They did not give us back the port charges for St. Thomas, I think because we spent the extra day in San Juan. Oh, well, we had a good time, just not all that we had hoped for. And I am glad to be back.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2019 :  05:16:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome home Linda. That to bad that you missed out on half the ports. Sometimes things happen and it is frustrating though nothing can be done about it. Good they reimbursed you something though.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara