TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2019 :  5:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee, do you ever look inside the seed of a persimmon...After the first frost? They forecast the weather. I think I'm going to have to try your hot chocolate recipe. It really sounds good. I will wait until it gets cold. I'm hoping to lose more of my fat in the coming weeks.
Denise that is a beautiful picture...if I had that many apples, I think I might cry...because I am so snowed under busy right now! But I can see light at the end of the tunnel........ Way down at the very end.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2019 :  03:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since it will be wet and cool today I am going to get out my grinder and mixer and do a batch of bread. It will make the house smell good and I like to have it ahead in the freezer. I don't have a bread machine but my Bosch does the kneading for me I just have to let it rise shape the loaves to rise again and bake it. Planning to get started early today. I feel so much better when it is cooler.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2019 :  1:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I love how baking makes the house smell good!!Especially Bread!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2019 :  6:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too Connie and I had candles burning. I enjoyed my day. Those little touches make the day special for me!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2019 :  7:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mrs. Meyers Pumpkin Spice hand soap smells like autumn to me. I have it in my kitchen. I have the Apple Cider in the main bathroom. It smells good too!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2019 :  11:12:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I have Mrs. Myers Apple Cider dish detergent, kitchen surface cleaner in my kitchen and the Apple cider hand soap in the hall bath. I love the way they smell! Last year, I had the same combination of Pumpkin Spice products and enjoyed them as well. Our local stores don't carry many of the More. Myers seasonal scents so I just order a batch each year for various seasons. I think her products are quite good and have become more and more dedicated to just using them here at home all year long.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Sep 07 2019 11:12:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2019 :  2:38:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought her basil hand soap at walmart. I loved it but both are empty. Back in the spring I began ordering from Grove. I am impressed with the products they have. I just got my Sept. Box. It was big and heavy, this time. I have been ordering their Seedling toilet tissue, etc. for several months. It is made from bamboo and sugar cane...the left overs after processing. No trees are used. The tissue is two ply and soft. The nose tissues are also soft. The paper towels are not Viva, but I do enjoy them now. I love the paper napkins. They are thin but sturdy. I get the small house set each month. 12 rolls of tissue, six rolls of paper towels, two boxes of nose tissues and a package of 8 purse size tissues. I buy the napkins seperately. All for less than $25 and I don't have to go to the store and get it.
So this time I ordered Mrs Meyers hand soap, pumpkin spice, mum, Apple cider, and fig. I gave Julie a pumpkin spice and mum. I kept the others. I ordered Rooted Beauty facial towellets for the girls. I have been getting one package each month for Baylee because her acne is so bad. THen Hadlee got curious, borrowed one from Bay then asked if I could get some for her. I have been ordering a men's body wash for my son. This time Triston got a bottle of it. Hadlee says it is the best smelling body wash she has used. I tend to agree, clean not flowery. So I love Grove. I paid a $20 membership fee after the first couple of months so I get free shipping. I told myself that I would only spend about fifty each month. I almost doubled that this time, but we got lots of stuff too.Next month it will drop back. Oh yes they send you a freebie each month too. Mine was a bottle of vitamins for my gut.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2019 :  2:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are interested I can put your email into the grove and they will contact you. I believe you get five free products of you want to try.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2019 :  3:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn no I haven't not really any seeds and by the time we get fall weather the persimmons are already gone. I need to go out and check the tree. The other 2 trees don't seem to be doing anything maybe a couple on it. But when I was little my great Aunt we called her Auntie, she made a persimmon pudding. It was like a bite size cake but it was in some kind of pudding. That was so good. And I never got the recipe and most of the older generation is gone. My sister and I have looked thru momma's cook book but cant find it. Have any of you heard of that? would dearly love some again.
Hugs Marlee

Hugs: Heavens Ultimate Good Sign

OCD: Overly Cute Disposition

Farmgirls: Sisters from Different Gardens
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2019 :  3:07:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marlee if you cut the seed open it should have a spoon, form of knife inside. Each has a meaning. I think the knife means sharp cold,cutting winds...I think the fork may mean lots of snow and the spoon lots of rain.I
I used to take several to school and very carefully pop open the seeds so the kids could see what was inside.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1275 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1275 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2019 :  9:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a persimmon pudding cake recipe at https://www.thespicehouse.com/blogs/recipes/grandma-rosenbaums-persimmon-pudding

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2019 :  04:03:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Mrs. Meyer too. Love her hand soaps c and dish soaps as well. The apple cider scent smells so good.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2019 :  7:42:22 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This was a very impromptu weekend for us. First, my son called Thurs night and asked if we could watch the twins on Friday. When they arrived, Ed all of a sudden decided to take out the motorhome that we had just gotten back and go to Lake Tawakoni State Park - local, only 8 miles away as the crow flies (about 25 taking the roads, which was easier in the motorhome, since it doesn't have water wings) - for the weekend. We checked, they had open spots (lots, it turned out) and so away we went. Here are pictures of our campsite - the boys slept Friday night in the tent (a good buy that Ed found at a thrift shop for $15); it was their first time ever sleeping out. They both said they slept well, once they got used to the night sounds. LOL!

Our campsite

The beach is very nice, the water is only about 4 feet at the buoys, and the bottom is sandy. Phillip buried Richard in the sand. In the 3rd picture, the bridge you can see way off in the distance is about 5 miles from my house. LOL!

Then when we got home, Richard was bored. I had some cat and dog 10" squares from previous swaps I had hosted and asked Richard if he wanted to make a quilt for his mom and dad for Christmas. He said yes, and I cut out a few more squares, and he placed them alternating cats and dogs. The quilt is 6x6 squares now. If I can find 3 more dog print squares I will have him add a row before I get it quilted; I have PLENTY of cat fabrics not yet in the quilt. There are only 2 or 3 doubles so far. Richard did all the sewing; I had him take out several rows when he didn't line up the fabrics properly or stitched too far or close to the edge of the fabric. That wasn't too often. He used my Singer Featherweight and I added a seam guide at 1/4". I pinned the rows together for him. He even ironed the back - the first time he has ever ironed anything. He said he wants to make something for his brothers, too, so I suggested a pillowcase and he liked that idea. Picture is Richard and his quilt top so far. No granddaughters for me, but I may still have a quilter in the family. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2019 :  8:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, y'all are such good grand parents. Every time the twins stay with yall, they have great adventures.
These are a lot of creative men, many do hand work or piece quilts. Some design fabrics. So Richard is learning a skill!
Tell him that his parents are going to be so impressed! I know I am.
Oh, and I love your nice motor home. Very classy.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Sep 08 2019 8:31:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2019 :  04:09:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda your weekend with the boys sounds like fun. Great job on the quilt - tell Richard I said so.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2019 :  06:07:51 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sara and Marilyn. I will let Richard know you like what he did. He did great! Didn’t try to go too fast on the machine. In fact, I had to tell him to go faster a few times. LOL! His mom volunteers with a pet rescue and they have 3 cats and 2 dogs at home, so I thought those blocks were perfect. He said he wanted to finish quick. He was surprised he got the top done so fast And I think it was good he could see results right away. I had him sew two rows of blocks together first, then we put those two rows together and he laid it on the bed to see how it would fit. Then we sewed two more rows together and did the same. Two more rows and then we sewed them all together and he saw the whole top. I think seeing it come together piece by piece helped keep his interest. I was surprised he didn’t get bored.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2019 :  10:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a fun thing to do with your grandson!! Your quilt top turned out really cute and his parents will be thrilled when they get it for Christmas. Your camp site looks like it was really nice and no doubt the perfect solution to take two boys for a weekend excursion.

Did the hurricane effect any of your upcoming cruise agenda? I hope you all get a great trip. despite the hurricane mess and have a wonderful time.

Today I am doing a lot of packing and gathering for our trip on Wednesday. Lots of little odds and ends have to be gathered that are necessary and oh, so useful. Like bandaids!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1275 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1275 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2019 :  10:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done Richard! Sewing is a valuable sill that everyone should learn and you are good to teach him.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2019 :  12:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talked with Betty today and she told me what London said when her mom asked the triplets if they wanted to be in class together or in separate classes at school. London said "she wanted to be in a class by herself so there would be two empty chairs and she would have two new friends". Out of the mouth of a 5 year old. All three like school.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth

Edited by - YellowRose on Sep 09 2019 12:37:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2019 :  4:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,
What fun! Just taking off for the weekend to go camp.
Wonderful that Richard is sewing. My son learned because he was tired of waiting for myself or his sisters to make something or other he wanted sewed. Now his friends hire him to make costumes for the 501st Legion and for their live action role plays that they do. A man invented the sewing machine so why not. It's great for them to learn.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2019 :  5:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, all. I hope he keeps it up! He seems very interested; even said he wanted to find out if his mom's sewing machine still works. LOL! If not, I'm sure I could find one for him to use. I only have 23 or 24. LOL!

Sara - my grand-twins were in separate classes when they were in school. They are home-schooled now and I think it would be better if they were separate. Twins and triplets all have different personalities and separate they have a chance to shine in their own ways.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2019 :  08:29:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, that is funny!
Linda, it looks like a great weekend was had by all! I'm so glad that you are teaching your grandson to sew. I think it's important for them to learn skills that are usually looked on as "woman's work". My grandboys have wanted to learn how to knit. I got them those round looms where they can lift the loops over, around and around. They can make a scarf or a hat, etc. I thought it would be good practice until they're a little older and can coordinate holding 2 needles. I also told them that they need to learn how to cook. They looked a little shocked...that was what MOM was for! Haha....I said if you eat, you need to learn how to feed yourself! My father in law would finally learned how to fix an egg and make oatmeal in the microwave. He said it was "woman's work". Ugh. A good thing he could go down to the senior center for lunch!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2019 :  8:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard of any more cruise changes of itinerary. I'm trying to find out how to get automatic updates. We will leave for Florida next Tuesday, spend a night somewhere on the way; spend Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights at a timeshare in Pompano Beach; then get to the parking garage and the ship in Miami on Sunday the 22nd. The cruise is 7 nights and we get back to Miami on the 29th.

I have Bunco here at my house on Friday and am trying to hide as much of my unfinished fabric projects so we can play. I was hoping for only 3 tables, but there will be 4, so need to squeeze in another table. LOL! Ed was helping fix a few of the old wooden chairs so they aren't so wobbly - gluing and clamping - I don't want any of the ladies to fall.

Also had Dr. appt today about the radiation treatments. I have an appt to have the "mask" made on Oct 4, when we get back after our cruise, and then about a week later will start the radiation treatments. The Dr. said I will have 20 treatments, 5 days a week for 4 weeks. Then I will have a "sunburned" nose for a while. There goes my October and part of November. I'm still very apprehensive about this so prayers would be welcomed and appreciated. I still may need plastic surgery after all this is over, and not sure when it will fit in between the 4 cruises we have scheduled between now and the end of April.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2019 :  8:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Richard has mentioned learning to knit. I'm glad I got him started with sewing - it is a bit easier with faster results. Today I bought fabric for him to make a pillowcase for his older brother for Christmas - Richard said he wanted to make one with wolves on it. I will show him how to use the tube method.

There are some well known actors who do needlework, crocheting or knitting and find it calming.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2019 :  9:23:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys can learn to do many things.
My brother was a football player. He was at TCU on scholarship.
He was a tackle. But one of two of the guys who carried the ball were sent to take a very special class...ballet! The coaches felt it would help them on the football field! And it did!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic September~2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page