Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2019 :  06:29:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rabbit, rabbit!

Does anyone else say this at the beginning of a new month?

September has arrived in all it's beautiful newness and glory. It is one of my favorite months of the year. October being my favorite due to beautiful weather and cool fall mornings.

What do you all have planned for September?

We have a birthday at the end of the month and I'm hoping to go to NY for a weekend to visit my almost 99 yr. old aunt (her birthday is the 13th of this month) and the graves of my parents. I was born and raised there and always love going home again. My aunt is the last one still living of my father's siblings. It is always a joy to visit with her. She's been in a wheelchair for 30+ yrs but never complains.
She still has a sharp mind though her hearing isn't the best.
She is in most of my childhood memories.

What is special to you about this month?

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2019 :  07:06:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As the weather cools down I hope to catch up on yardwork I didn't get to during the summer. End of the month I will prepare raised beds for garlic first of Oct. During the month I will cut back herbs and dry them. Hope to get back to canning in Yellow Rose Cottage by end of month.

Haven't given much thought on what else I will do in Sept. One thing I know I will do and that is piddle - one of my favorite things.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2019 :  09:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara,
I think everyone should spend time piddling around a bit!
I usually get something done when I am piddling. Things I wouldn't normally get to do.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2019 :  10:11:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nor unusual for us is that we are watching a Hurricane's path to see if we are it's next victims. Here in Florida, we are in the peak of the season which lessens a bit as the month progresses and on into October. Normally, we have fewer storms by October because the air is drier and less favorable to hurricane development. However, these days, all bets are off because the Atlantic and Gulf waters are quite warm and they are the perfect fuel for any disturbance to intensify.

September 11, we are taking a trip to Ireland through September 25. Hopefully, there will be much cooler weather up there in the northern Atlantic! There has been, however, a warmer than usual trend above the Arctic Circle in places like Norway this past August. They are watching their glaciers melt in ways not seen before. One never knows if there will be a heat wave way up north during the time we are there. The trip will be around the island in a touring bus with many stops to view various historical places. We are very much looking forward to learning more about this emerald isle!! We specifically chose the dates of this trip to give ourselves a break from the relentless heat and humidity that August-September bring. It is the time of year when there is lots or rain, high humidity, and being outside is just not anything you want to do for very long.

This afternoon, I hope to get started on my fall decorating. I have been cleaning up before I put out new stuff along with working on finishing up swaps etc. I have been also been enjoying my apples that I picked up in NC!! Sure hate to see they dwindle in the fridge crisper!! LOL!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1275 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1275 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2019 :  11:49:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like September because it seems to be a turning point in the year. Kids back in school, Fall stuff appearing in stores -- some Halloween things but thankfully I haven't seen Christmas decorations yet. My mothers birthday was in September, as was my parents anniversary. My husbands birthday and our anniversary, my youngest sisters birthday and my daughter-in-laws. Mom always said her favorite month was Septober.
Winnie -- Enjoy your trip. We were in England in August 1991 when they were having a heat wave. We took the boat the Ireland and darn near froze and caught colds. It was nice and misty there.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2019 :  11:59:38 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Winnie -
I hope Dorian does not endanger Florida or any of the US coastline and that you all stay safe. I love that you seem to travel as much as Ed and I do. We want to travel as much as we can while we still can. I want to go back to Ireland. We also want to go to Costa Rica; Cartegena, Columbia; Curacao; and other islands for a week each. We'd also like to go to Australia and New Zealand.

We leave here to drive to Florida on about Sept 16. We will have 3 nights at a timeshare in Pocano Beach (I think) and then leave Sept 22-29 from Miami on a NCL cruise. Hopefully no hurricanes that week, but I know the cruise lines monitor the storms and change itineraries to keep passengers safe and away from the storms.

I love the cooler temps that September usually brings.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2019 :  03:51:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2019 :  04:21:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love it! Thanks Denise!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2019 :  04:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I write I am enjoying my first cup of "hot" English breakfast tea in months. When it heats up I switch to iced tea in the mornings. We'll still have hot days but not the oppressive triple digits of Aug.

Hope to work on fabric pumpkins today. It's been days since I have felt like it. So looking forward to cooler days that mean good days for me.

I ordered wool to make bowl pillows for my sisters and me for the upcoming holidays. I didn't know what bowl pillows were until I got into wool applique. Sizes vary a little bit from pattern to pattern. I didn't buy a pattern but have chosen the 3" X 5" size. Three pillows for each person. I will make 3 different mini house patterns. Designing the pillows and selecting wool for each house will be fun. One house may have a Christmas tree by it. If I start them this month I should be finished by Dec.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2019 :  05:42:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds like fun Sara. Making little pillows.

I haven't been drinking tea anymore. Well not the caffeinated stuff anyway. Mostly water. I measure it out each morning so I know I am getting enough. When to the doctors and they said I was slightly dehydrated, told me the minimum I should be drinking and so I measure that out to make sure I'm getting it. Usually I am done in the mid afternoon and drinking water as my first choice has helped.

JT is off today so I am not sure what we have on the agenda. I'm hoping it is cleaning up a bit in the garage. We need to keep up with it or it tends to get away from us. Seems everything tends to get tossed in there.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2019 :  11:00:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having a hot cup of mulled apple cider tea. So good!

I found this poem on the internet and thought I'd share here.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2019 :  12:20:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we mover here I discovered late that summer some strange flowers by the back frnce. I asked the old lady, from whom we bought the place. She called them rain lilies. They only bloom in late summer, after a good rain...fast forward about 27 years and they are out in the field that surrounds the tractor shed. Little clumps scattered all about. Funny thing, there are no leaves, just a small tubular stem with a small white fluer' on top.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Sep 02 2019 12:21:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2019 :  1:18:54 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have some of those, too, Marilyn. Now that you mention it they come up after a rainstorm. Not much to them, just the stem and a white flower. I have some now in one area.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2019 :  1:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, they don't last long! I just noticed as I came from the barn, only purple and white stems are left!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2019 :  08:27:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is interesting. I wonder if they are from bulbs or seeds. I always love seeing what flowers pop up here. We have tons of blue wildflowers. My mother called them bachelor's buttons but from I can find on the internet they seem to just be know as blue wildflower. There are so many all summer long. Sometimes I pick them with the tiger lily's that I planted and the colors look great together.
Evicted some dust bunnies from my bedroom yesterday. Guess more like fall cleaning in there. I need to do all the fans in all the bedrooms. They need done so often. I don't know how they get so dusty when they are hardly still long enough in the summer to catch any dust! More cleaning on my to do list today.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2019 :  09:12:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rain lilies have bulbs. When Bobbie moved to Paris from FA she dug up some of her rain lilies and shipped them to me. I planted a few around my big oak tree but they didn't get enough sun and after a couple of years they stopped coming back. The ones I planted for Bobbie in my front yard came back and she transplanted them to her yard. They are still coming after six years.

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2019 :  3:57:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was so excited when I woke up Sunday morning and remembered it was September 1st!!! We took the whole day off from farm work...after church and breakfast we just took an old fashioned Sunday drive! We didn't get home until 8 that evening. We ended up exploring 3 pioneer cemeteries (which is something we have never done!) but it was fun!
Our 36th wedding anniversary is this month. I'm hoping we will be able to spend a day or two in Montana about then but don't know if it will happen. Our daughter and her husband will be ready to move into their new home about then so we may be here helping with that. I'm excited for them! I spent most of last week helping to wallpaper their dining room, guest bath and kids' bathroom.
We are still in the 90s here, maybe 100 tomorrow...but rain and thunder is coming!!! I love September!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2019 :  5:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy you are busy!Helping our kids is what I believe God wants us to do.
God bless you.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2019 :  07:18:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, that sounds like a lovely Sunday spent. I enjoy going to help my daughters whenever I can. Put out more of my fall stuff today. Will post a couple more pics on the Autumn lovers thread. Not doing to much this year. Will do my porch later this month.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2019 :  07:18:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The calendar has moved forward but the summer has not. However, I am slowly getting decorations out and reading up on some new fall recipes to try. I am delighted September has arrived at long last!! Hopefully when we return from Ireland Sept.25, things down here will be getting less summery and evidence of a transition in seasons begins to show up. Maybe. fingers crossed!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2019 :  09:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sure hope they do Winnie. I know we can still have a few sporadic hot days in Sept. and October.
I am going to enjoy every minute of every cool day we have!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2019 :  6:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hot, but the sky was so blue! I always forget at dusk to take pictures of the Moonflower. They smell wonderful!! I just took this. Jit's 9 pm here.
Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2019 :  7:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About a week or so ago it was still pretty light out at 9:00 pm, but suddenly it is dark. I say that because each evening my husband goes out to close his banty chicken pen, and seems like it was last Wednesday he commented that he had gone out every night at a certain time...but now it was dark at that time. I guess the days are growing shorter.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2019 :  05:35:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie,
How pretty they look!

Still fighting this sinus infection. It poured rain last night so I know that is the cause of the headache this morning. Pressure changes. On the good note the weather is blessedly cooler this morning. I have the windows open for a little while. Will close them before it warms too much. Still it is only supposed to be around 80 today. I have all my swaps ready to go for the main forum. Cleaning up my crafts and things.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2019 :  06:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found another great photo on the Facebook. Thought I'd share to keep us in the apple mood.

Hoping to go to the Apple Festival on Saturday with my daughter and her family. I'm really hoping they will go.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2019 :  07:38:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I went out and picked three persimmons of our tree. Just love them. It is still hot here but it feels like fall is on the way . I love Fall. Hot chocolate with a mini Reese's cup in the bottom of the cup. Yay!. Fall colors around the country are so beautiful. My sister says the cooler weather is already happening in Indiana. I know she is glad.
So hope you are all enjoying the coming Fall.
Hugs Marlee

Hugs: Heavens Ultimate Good Sign

OCD: Overly Cute Disposition

Farmgirls: Sisters from Different Gardens
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic September~2019 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page