Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 August ~2019 Dog Days of Summer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic August ~2019 Dog Days of Summer Next Topic
Page: of 5

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2019 :  7:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ed and I loved driving the Blue Ridge Parkway when we were there 2 years ago. Have fun!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2019 :  07:03:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie I would love to see afternoon temps in the upper 80s here in very hot Texas. I saw that we were to be sharing this heat with the east coast soon...like the upcoming week.
When I walk out the back door each morning I'm met with humidity...I have decided that it is so strong because of my wee garden that I water every other day.
Yesterday I planted English peas and Bush beans. We shall see if they come up and grow. If God is willing...they will do great.I soaked the seed overnight, actually 36 hours because it was too hot to plant during the day. I was busy bringing soil and composted manure up from the barn and watering it in, during the cooler morning time.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2019 :  07:05:07 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
LOL! Me too, Marilyn!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2019 :  07:05:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should enjoy your cruise Linda. Did you get some trip insurance, in case a big storm decides to cross over from Africa, about that time.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2019 :  07:18:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie, there are cedar trees all around Austin. North of the city they must be very abundant. At a certain time of the spring, they say the pollen can be seen in the air like haze. That is when the South wind blows it our way. Not good!
I will never forget the year our DIL decided we share our go to a nearby ranch and get our Christmas trees. It was a fun family adventure, but I kept saying, " we are going to regret this! "
You see we had these cedar trees as Christmas trees as young married, and new parents. We were always sick. Sure enough history repeats itself. We were all sick within about three days. We will never do that again.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2019 :  9:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, we always get cruise insurance. The one time I didn't is when I went with pinochle friends and made the reservation 2 weeks before. It was only $139 for 3 nights.

We used to always have a real tree and I always had colds or allergies. That stopped when I got an artificial tree. I'm so happy now and feel better, too.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2019 :  06:03:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My family will not agree to an artificial tree. So each year we go to home depot and Lowes to check out their selections, the day after Thanksgiving. It is fun family time.
One afternoon Had was here visiting. She said, " You know what I just realized that Home Depot is a tool store. I always thought it was a really big fun place to explore. My mom always buys stuff there. I like Lowe's better. " I guess she was only about seven when we began our tree tradition.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  07:00:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are back from our trip to Asheville, NC and had a great week visiting our daughter and other friends. It was a very hot week there , but the evenings cool down and the humidity drops as well. So, at least you can sit outside(with bug spray on!) in the evening or early morning. My daughter and I went to pick apples one day at a 6th generation Apple Farm as the Gala and Ginger Gold apples were ripe and we could do a U-pick. They also had fresh apple cider donuts for sale as well, which were so delicious! I picked 1/2 bushel of each and by the time we got home, and many had already been eaten and or given to family. There is still plenty left and I am hoping to make homemade apple sauce and maybe some apple butter this coming weekend. Fresh picked apples from a tree that are ripe just taste so much better than anything you can get in the store. This orchard we visited has many other varieties that are in the process of ripening and so apple lovers will have all fall to come and gather their favorites.

There were many other little places I wanted so visit, but there was not time as it seemed each day filled up quickly and my daughter, who is a real estate broker, had some things that she had to attend to each day. But we did get up on the Blue Ridge Parkway twice and enjoyed all of the many overlooks. One trip, we went up to Mount Mitchell, which is the highest peak on the parkway at 6684 feet, and enjoyed a visit that was in the 60 degree range! It was also clear and we could see Tennessee too!! Connie, I was waving at ya'!! LOL!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  09:53:07 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I hate snakes - and spiders. All those jokes that show the house burned down and the caption is “I got the spider” - Ed says that is me. LOL!

And allergies - knock on wood. This year hasn’t been bad. Usually they are a lot worse.

I’m trying to get this radiation scheduled on my nose, probably after we come back from the cruise, unless they do it before and after. We have the crew scheduled for the 22nd through the 29th, but we’re driving to Miami, so we will be leaving probably on the 18th or 19th. I have bunco at my house on Friday the 13th, so have to get my house all in order too.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  3:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Love all your apples, Winnie! You are truly the apple lady!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  3:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a little church music humor - many of you have probably heard of or sung many of these hymns. I grew up Catholic, and only sang hymns when we went to friends' churches so I have not heard most of these.

ENJOY!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9530 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9530 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  6:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are cute Linda

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  6:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe I've sang every hymn on your list and quite a few more.
A funny note: while working at the local Lutheran church the pastor asked if I could get him a song book from my little Baptist Church! I asked, "Do you want to borrow or keep it? " He said he wanted to keep it because they needed to add a bit of something to their rather boring service.
So the next Sunday I ask and received a Hymnal for my boss.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 21 2019 6:28:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2019 :  6:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, yesterday I watched a lady on you tube make Apple butter. It looked so good.I

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9530 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9530 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  03:01:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
Wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing with us. Those apples look yummy and what a fun time!
I'm looking forward to getting my apple butter done. I do mine in the crock pot Marilyn.. So easy that way and makes the house smell fantastic!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  06:08:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apple butter in the crockpot - may have to make a batch when it cools down enough to start canning again.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9530 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9530 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  07:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just waiting for it to cool a bit too Sara! Still getting peaches here.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  10:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lady I watched did hers in a pressure pot similar to an instapot. She changed the settings and with her pot she let them cook for eight hours. She left the peels on! When the eight hours had passed she used a stick blender, then added more spices and sugar. She used home grown Winesap apples. She said they were quite tart.
Y'all should watch her some time. She talked about how they made Apple butter in the "olden" days.
Hillbilly Kitchen on you tube!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  11:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Winnie - will you please share the apple butter recipe in the Kitchen thread? I don't do much canning, but in a crock pot or instant pot I think I could handle it. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  12:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, love the Hymn list. I can play most all of them.
Winnie, love your apple pictures!
Connie.
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2704 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2704 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2019 :  1:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, the country around Asheville looks beautiful! Would you please share your apple butter recipe? My sister makes one in her crockpot also. Whenever I've tried to make it I always end up scorching it...:(

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2019 :  05:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn I need your help on remembering the name of the tea company who had the frosted grape pattern tea goblets as a give-away. I know it's rattling around in my head but I just can't think of it. I collected every piece of that design when I found it at garage or estate sales.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2019 :  1:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, Denise is the one who makes apple butter in a crock pot so I don't have that recipe. However, I just typed up the one I used to today over at our link on" what is going on in your kitchen". Mine was made on the stove top and it was easy and I like how it turned out.

Denise, can you post your crock pot recipe? I have heard about it but never tried it. It would be perfect for a large batch of apple butter, for sure!!

Debbie, check my photo and recipe on the kitchen link I just mentioned form what I did today to make apple butter.

By the way, who loves apple butter and how do you enjoy using it the most? Here are my favorite uses: with hot cornbread, with sweet potato biscuits, on hot oatmeal instead of brown sugar, on baked sweet potatoes, on whole wheat toast, and peanut butter sandwiches. With 7 little half pint jars cooling in my kitchen, I foresee my favorites listed being cooked up as soon as we can get a bit of cooler weather to be using the oven more!

In Virginia, Fall always means Brunswick stew and cornbread with apple butter. It is found at the state fair, which is always in the fall, and many fund raisers and fall gatherings. Farmgirls......you know this Virginia born and bred Farmgirl is going to be pulling out her stew recipe come the first coolish day we have. YUM!! I just hope I don't have to wait until November for a cool day!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Aug 24 2019 1:04:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9530 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9530 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2019 :  3:18:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted the recipe I use for apple butter in the crock pot over on the recipes thread.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2019 :  7:57:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, denise, I saw that. Sounds good.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic August ~2019 Dog Days of Summer Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page