Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Learning Together:July Favorites in this Month
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together:July Favorites in this Month Next Topic
Page: of 2

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2019 :  10:32:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, we grow Kentucky bluegrass seed. One of our neighbors had their bluegrass seed go to seed the Superbowl field a couple of years ago!
In Oregon, each county has their own fair. I think they start in June and run through late September. Ours used to be in August, which was nice because we were done with the busiest part of harvest and we had time to go. It's been moved to the 3rd week in July. Sadly, it has gotten smaller as the years have gone by. I remember when we were first married, almost 36 years ago,how many exhibits there were to look at! It was so much fun to go and see what everyone had been working on. They also used to have more contests in the Home Ec department. A lot of different companies would sponsor contests using their products, such as blueberries, Tillamook cheese, Bob's Red Mill, the Wheat League. That seems to have fallen by the wayside, as well. We are working at building up more pride and interest in the fair. A few years ago, another couple and both of us started sponsoring a cake, quick bread and cookie contest and so far they have been really popular. Back in the day, the home ec department was full! I think people just don't have time or interest anymore, which is sad. And then, there are those who think that the only draw of the fair is the carnival, and they want to get rid of the 4H and FFA kids' projects and livestock auction. UGH...makes me so mad! Our 2 kids spent every fair week from 4th grade through their senior year of highschool down their with their animal projects. It teaches kids so much!!!
I haven't decided if I am going to enter anything this year. I have company coming on Thursday and exhibits have to be entered on Monday. We will see how the weekend goes. My 3 young grandsons have been entering art and cooking projects for a couple of years, I may just help them this year.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2019 :  11:24:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Debbie, I'll never forget our oldest grand daughter's first pig show. I was working, tried to pin my daughter in law down about the times...so I could be there. I arrived pretty early, only to find our third grader and her pig in the ring with a boy...a high school senior and his pig. It did not take long to see what was going on. My heart was so full of love for Baylee, but she just really seemed bewildered. Finally the judge talked to her, he seemed to have trouble making his decision. She was happy to accept her ribbon from the judge and escape! That boy ended up winning the whole show.
That is interesting that you grow seed. Do you grow any other crop after the seed harvest?
4-H is good for kids, it teaches them responsibility, and keeps them out of trouble.
Hadlee is not fond of pigs, but was convinced to participate two years. She showed two pigs which earned her two good ribbons one year. What struck me was how the other people sitting around me that had no idea that Had was my grandkid, were talking about her. They all had very complimentary things to say. She is adorable! She is so cute! She is a natural with her pigs, etc. This was in January before her brain tumor was discovered in April. She was about the size of a second grader with long blonde curls...but she was 13!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together:July Favorites in this Month Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page