Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Learning Together: The Month of March
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together: The Month of March Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2019 :  12:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last two weeks here in Florida, Spring has burst forward. While we are not the usual pattern for everyone else, it got me to thinking about what it means to live and thrive in the month of March. Since we all live in various states, and latitudes, each of you have specific aspects of life that mark this month. As a result, you have adjusted your living patterns accordingly.

The meteorological experts say that the season of Spring is March 1- May 31. The reason for their selection of tracking seasons has to do with big weather patterns in the oceans, the tilt of the Earth, the lengthening of the sunlight, and the patterns of the various powerful winds, like the Jet Stream, that directly effect the weather of every state. For me, March is usually in full bloom, temperatures are much warmer, and we tend to have drier weather(which is awesome!!). But for many of you, March is a continuation of Winter or maybe something in between

No matter where you live, most people say that March can often be one of swings from mild to miserable, all in a matter of hours! "In like a Lion and out like a Lamb" is probably well known to all of us. It seems to capture the teasing and frustration that weather plays on those who are so ready for Winter to be over.

In a recent book I have been reading, the author takes us through each month and speaks about how people organized their lives in every month, depending on what was happening in their environment. Garden planting? Maple syrup gathering? Busy with baby calves and lambs? Bits of spring cleaning when a nice day arrives?

I thought this month we would share with each other, how the month of March plays out in your life and your area. I would love to hear what you know about the blustery month and how you feel about it's arrival!

I will start off the discussion with March in north central Florida. I grew up in Virginia, but have lived in Florida since 1973. We are so different down here from what I remember as a child. As you know, Florida is basically an island between the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean. These two bodies of water impact us in big ways every month of the year. Florida Citrus ripens from December onward, and the trees are ready to bloom in March for next year's crop. As a matter of fact, there are trees here in the city that are full of beautiful little white flowers and many, many busy bees!! Technically, the last freeze is the end of February, but we have seen a rogue front bring a freeze as late as early April. All it takes is a bad freeze and tender plants are zapped. We have to always be careful up here 1 1/2 hours south of the Georgia border. That being said, the local watermelon farmers here have to have plants in the ground by the end of February in order to be ready to harvest and ship for Memorial Day weekend, which is Florida's corner on the market to northern areas.

Right now, we are able to gather edible Dandelion leaves for salads and use the flowers to make jelly. Dark leafy greens, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage and red potatoes are being harvested to make room for the Spring into Summer gardens. It gets so hot and humid here by the end of June, that most gardening is over except for Okra, hot peppers, and eggplants. March is when backyard gardens get planted.

Locally, our strawberries are ripe even though Florida has been shipping strawberries since January from further South. There are several U-Pick farms in our area that open up by mid-March and local stores often offer local berries at great prices with quarter and half flats. This is the time of year we make our strawberry jelly for the pantry. Yummy!

March is also a destination for college students from points on high to beaches on both coasts. While the waters remain cold up here, the weather beats what is happening up in Wisconsin and Illinois!! LOL!! Economically, March is a big month of Tourism for the state and a big support for local businesses along the coasts. Did you ever see the old movie, "Where the Boys Are?" . It was filmed at Daytona Beach during the famous Spring break back in the 1960s. Those were the days!! But, the legend continues every year with carloads of students escaping the miserable cold for a week of sun and bliss!! LOL!!

Like many other states, in March we do waffle between warm days and bouts of cold fronts. March is also a time of weather unrest with tornadoes and blustering winds as fronts pass by and hit the warmer temperatures. As I type this, it is blustery, thundering and looking like the forecasted storms are actually going to strike.

Yep, this is March in Florida. It is a time between the last of Winter and the full arrival of much warmer and more humid weather. All in all, March is probably the most beautiful month of the year. The state is abloom with flowers, the days are warmer and the evenings are cool. This is why people want to visit here and take advantage of the good weather as they warm up their bones and months of grey cold days.

I love this Month for all that I have mentioned, and appreciate being the first stop of migrating birds and butterflies coming back from more southern locations. Today, we hung out the Hummingbird feeder for the first time since last Fall. We are hopeful that arriving birds from their long journey will stop and refuel in our backyard along with the other few bird species that have been busy at the feeders.Not too much longer before the Wrens build their first nest of 2019 and we are hoping they choose one of the two birdhouses that have used in past years!! We are ready!!

Please share what March means to you and what happens in your area? What are your plans for this year and what is happening in your kitchen directly related to this month?

Me? I am waiting for local strawberries to make some jam and also Strawberry short cake!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2019 :  12:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
March here in southern NJ means blowing winds and the chance for the last snows of the year for us. We can expect to see the early blooms of snowdrops and crocus and usually our daffodils bloom making their appearance sometimes too early and causing the pretty blooms to end quickly.

This would be the time when we start to plan our garden layout if we put one in. Our last frost is not expected to arrive until April 15th or thereabout.

We do also start planning any outside projects that may need to be done. Either new or maintenance. We do start our cleanup from the winter and winds during this month also.

March for us is a month of preparation for the warmer months to come.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 01 2019 12:48:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2019 :  1:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
March in Texas is hopefully the end of the cold weather. If we get an ice storm, it usually will come on one of the president's weekends.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2019 :  1:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't Easter late this year?? April 21st. Mother used to say we always had a spell of cold or cooler weather at Easter.
Have you also heard this old Farmers saying, ' if it rains on Easter Sunday, it will rain seven Sundays thereafter'???

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2019 :  3:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn as far back as I can remember we have had a cold snap at Easter.

For me March has always been an attitude rather than a month on a calendar. The wind blows in hope for a new growing season. March is the only month for me that has the refreshing energy of autumn. After March Texas starts to heat up and I know summer is on the way.

Maybe I like March because it's the month of my birth and it speaks to my inner self. I was born on March 1, 1942 and it snowed that day and I have been waiting ever since for a snowy birthday and it has never happened. But in my soul I have hope of having my white birthday. That's why I like March it's full of hope and dreams. Like I said when I started writing March for me is an attitude.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2019 :  3:45:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn
I always think of Easter as being early when it is in March. Lol. My oldest daughter was born on Easter Sunday in 1981 which was April 19th.My sister's birthday was April 4th and we always thought it was early if it fell on her birthday. I don't know why we thought that way. I guess being born and raised in upstate NY and still having snow in March, April was our month for having early blooms and that always seemed appropriate for Easter. We have had some chilly Easters here in NJ.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 01 2019 3:45:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2019 :  5:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Imagine this Texas girl opening the Mondovi, Wisconsin newspaper, and seeing children hunting Easter eggs in the snow!!! Now to me that does not sound like fun at all!
My husband's cousin was in the air force, stationed in Minot, North Dakota. He met and married his wife there. Then they came home to Texas. They had three little boys and every Easter morning they got up, and hunted for evidence that the Easter bunny had come. If it was cold they looked inside the house but when it was nice and sunny they looked in the back yard. She said they always had to hunt inside when she was a kid...just too cold and too much snow out side.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2019 :  5:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara that's funny. March does have attitude tho. I don't enjoy January, because it seems to last forever. My brother was born in January as well as my husband and his sister. But I still don't enjoy it. I guess I tolerate March...and that probably comes from teaching. Just as I got my first graders reading and subtracting...It was spring break. When they came back I had extra work to establish their routine once more.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2019 :  7:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Easter fall on my birthday a few times, that is very special to me, very special.

Hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2019 :  8:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How neat Darlene! You are special to God! He loves you!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2019 :  08:01:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you!

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2019 :  09:20:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One interesting note about March is that in many states the first edible green weeds appear. Back in earlier times, people had no sources of fresh green vegetables and these edibles were an important way to get back vitamins that had been absent for many months. We all know about dandelions, but does anyone have experience with sorrel, lamb's quarters, purslane, and mustard leaves? I am assuming mustard leaves are not the same as the mustard greens we grow in the South, but maybe they are? Plus, I think there are some early mushrooms and also these special early ferns that are supposedly delicious.

In Virginia, I remember harvesting rhubarb and Mom making a pie with it, which I happen to love.

The idea of living in the month and only taking from it what is available in your region is completely absent from most of our lives because we don't have to worry about food variety availability at affordable prices. But I do think there might be some wisdom about that sort of close to the Earth living that is important. For one thing, it makes a person appreciative of the gifts of each month and season, and it creates a way of living that is more frugal and less wasteful. It would certainly eliminate the snacking issues we all have to avoid today. Secondly, I think it makes people more aware of their need to care for the land that provides their food. For those living in colder climates, March is still Winter and the resources of the previous harvest are rapidly disappearing. I can just imagine the delight at the first meal of edible greens and how they added a special addition to basics that everyone has been having for months.

It is not that I am suggesting that the old days were better, because clearly our lives are much healthier and our living standards are more stable, for the most part. There is , however, much written in poetry, journals, history books and novels about Spring's arrival. For many, that begins in March and it is often a long awaited change for the better. I have been thinking about our Farmgirl friends who live in the northern tier states this year with all of the record breaking cold and snow events. the arrival of Spring, later this month, will be something to celebrate !! Thankfully, the days are lengthening with sunlight and that helps to slightly mediate the intensity of cold and snow. But there is a lot of ice and snow to melt up north. For us here in the South, we will face some fierce tornados as the colder fronts hit upon our warmer temps. Much terrible destruction happens every year in Spring and sometimes lives are lost. March can be one of those months where tornadoes happen more frequently.

I have enjoyed hearing about the various activities your March is filled with. Sometimes, it is easy to forget that everyday life, as we are experiencing it, does not happen the same way just 1000 miles East, West, or North of where we are.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2019 :  12:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
March here in West Tennessee is usually windy and warm the first half, not this year!! It's winter again!!
The forsythia Bushes are in full bloom, the Tulip trees and many types of Daffodils, and the peach trees!! Hoping the freeze Sunday and Monday night don't kill them! going down to 18 degrees both nights! I want to try and wade thru the mud to pick some of my King Alfred daffodils before tomorrow night.
March is when I start cleaning out my raised bed checking to see if any of my flowers are returning, I have Black-eyed Susans in it, so far they have come back for 2 years and getting out my clay pots for my patio Herbs. They do well in pots each year, they come back too. I just trimmed back the rosemary, and thyme and chives. I love Zinnias! I plant as many as I can get in the bed.
We are replacing front porch posts this year, so that is underway and our front door is being replaced this year.

Last night I heard Jimmy Fallon say, Welcome March, not sure if we get Tornados or Blizzards! so true!!!

March, so far for me, has been me staying inside sewing!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2019 :  12:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
When dad was still here we were picking the young dandelion greens to cook. I didn't do it last year but will this year if I can get to them. We always had a big garden growing up and it just amazed me to also find that my parents knew so much about what to pick when that we didn't grow. My mom did pick sorrel and purslane and when we used to go in the woods she and dad would be picking things along the way that they knew about. I wish I had been older when they did it so I could have remembered what they picked when and how they used it. But it seemed like mom always had things she did like that all throughout the Spring and Summer season. I also remember when I was about 4 I would go to my aunt's since she was my sitter when mom was working outside the home, anyway she would take me with her to pick mushrooms. Sometimes we would walk to her sister's to get raw milk from them as they had a dairy. Just wish I could remember all the information now. Sorry for being so long winded.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 02 2019 12:48:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2019 :  7:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mother said that after a winter of pickles, pickled beets, etc. as their only salad type foods...they were so excited to go out looking for the greens that God provided. They would bring them in to make a real salad for the family supper, not a leaf remained, when supper was over.
I think I need to find some greens for a wilted salad. Yum!!!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Mar 02 2019 7:07:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2019 :  8:44:22 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love forsythia bushes. My mother had several.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Mar 03 2019 09:25:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  05:46:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda they're blooming around here - so pretty.

Growing up we ate poke salad 'sallet' from the poisonous pokeweed plant. I remember it had to be picked at a certain time and cooked or it could make you sick or kill you. I looked it up and here's the link to the history of it in the south. Also some of the words to Poke Salad Annie - always liked that song.
https://www.southernthing.com/how-did-toxic-poke-salad-plant-become-a-southern-staple-2594239813.html

Amazon has pokeweed seeds. May order a pkg to plant in a container for old times sake.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  07:00:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have poke weed and I always try to mow it down. My husband says part of the plant is medicinal. If you have little ones who come to visit in summer, watch them and caution them that the beautiful purple fruit is not to eat.I
I have never cooked it.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  09:27:13 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Do forsythia bushes grow from seed or cuttings? I'd love to plant some at Ed's and my places. I love the bright yellow flowers.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  09:53:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda I would say cuttings. You can ask your county extension agent or get on line with A&M agriculture agents. A&M has info on native Texas plants and what grows here - easy to print out.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  11:21:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,
You do forsythia from cuttings. We have so much forsythia here that we have had to get rid of a lot. It has to be dug out to get rid of it because it comes back if you don't. I kept quite a lot because I love it but it was in the way in some places here. I hope to plant blueberry and blackberry bushes when we move. And lots of bulbs. That will depend on where we end up going.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 03 2019 11:22:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2019 :  2:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I subscribe to Country Rustic Magazine and the Spring issue had an article on Safe edible weeds!! I was so excited!! They talked about Purslane, Lamb's Quarters and Sorrel. The then talked about the values of these weeds and then offered a recipe for each. Check out these photos.

Now to see if I can find some of these edible weeds to try.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2019 :  7:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize you were moving, Denise. Did I miss something?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2019 :  7:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are making plans for an eventual move Linda. Not sure just where or when it will be. Waiting for some things to fall into place.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2019 :  8:05:39 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I can sure understand that, Denise.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Mar 14 2019 8:06:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2019 :  12:32:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, those three edibles are great weeds. My mother talked about finding salad greens in early spring, dandelion and lamb's quarters.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together: The Month of March Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page