levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2019 :  03:28:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it might be nice to have a place to share about our farm animals and fur babies. Seems many of us have one or the other or both.
Share anything you like about your animals. Past or present.
Are you a kitty person or a doggie person?
What animals do you have or would you like to have?

I am a dog person mainly but I do like kitties. In future I would like to get a dwarf goat. I had one when I was a teen. His name was Max. They are so much fun and I know the grandkids would love it.
I do enjoy my girls too. They are not really pets but they do come running as soon as they see me. Of course that is only because they know I sometimes come bearing treats for them

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 08 2019 03:30:41 AM

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2019 :  06:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I think everybody knows about my Annie but just in case someone has not heard about her I'll tell her story. Annie came to live with me at 3 months old three years ago from the Paris Animal Shelter. Her papers say she is English Mastiff yellow Lab mix. But her vet and I have decided she is German Shepard Rhodesian Ridge Back Hound Dog mix - maybe a wee touch of yellow Lab.

The ridgeback in her shows up when she's in protection mode. The hair along her spine stands up from her neck to tail. With her hair standing up; her up-right ears straight back flat against her head; and barking her heart out she does look fierce. Annie's a hunter and nothing that walks, crawls, flies, or slithers is safe in "her" backyard. She loves to bark at the owl when he perches in my backyard oak tree.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2019 :  06:32:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara,
I love that you have a protector. Has she ever brought you her plunder? I would love to have a dog that is a protector instead of one I have to protect.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 08 2019 06:33:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2019 :  06:59:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise she hasn't brought her kill to me but when I see she has something in her mouth I go out with a doggy treat. I tell her to drop it and she does. She'll take the treat and watch as I pick up the dead animal with several paper towels and put in plastic bag to dispose of it. She has never challenged me when I told her to drop it. So far she has killed 2 large rats; 2 or 3 squirrels; 1 baby opossum; she got hold of an adult opossum but it played dead and got away; too many birds to count - I don't like that she kills birds but it's in her genes to hunt.

Annie loves my sisters and she thinks they come to visit her. She also likes my neighbor but she doesn't like men which is fine with me. I put her outside or in my bedroom if a man comes in the house - like one delivering my groceries.

I hope you get your protector. I know I sleep better with Annie in the house.

She's protecting me one minute and climbing in my lap to be loved the next.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2019 :  07:12:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe she's part rat terrier.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2019 :  07:16:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WE had two wonderful yellow Labs back to back while raising our girls. They were wonderful pets and we dearly loved them both! They do, however, require a lot of walking and exercise. When the girls could help, it was great , but now, we feel like we don't want that sort of commitment. But, in midst of that, I always had a kitty. As your know, last year we lost our beloved Mr. Bump, the finest and best Kitty I have ever had the joy of owning. Since then, we talk about wanting a small dog or maybe another cat, but we also like to travel about and enjoy not worrying about making arrangements for animal care and me worrying the whole time we are gone. I get so attached to my animals!! At present, I have my new CrowFriend, who has been coming alone the past few days and calling me to come out and feed him a few peanuts. He is getting very used to me and coming ever closer when I toss the nuts.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2019 :  08:49:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had two rat terriers. Scully was the runt of the little and the best little hunter. Killed barn rats bigger than her and field mice. Also two 2' copperheads and 1 cottonmouth water moccasin. I lost her in 2006. I got Maggie a year later and the only thing she ever hunted was her next meal. lol I lost her a year before I got Annie.

My experience is rat terriers live 8-10 years. My hope is I have Annie for a very long time.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2019 :  10:26:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we might need to get a rat terrier. We have rats (UGH) in the garage sometimes. Not to many this year because we have kept the chicken feed secured. But they will still come around. We have rat snakes though too. But I don't like snakes more than I don't like rats. Well, not really I don't want either of them around.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2019 :  1:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our first puppy was a sweet Rat Terrier. She was a good mouser and was so small when she was brought to us that we named her Bitty.. She lived 14 years. When I was pregnant with our son, one evening my hubby was feeding his Blue Tick hound, when suddenly there on the outside of the fence was a red pit bull dog. He was so hungry, but so scared. My husband fed him with a spoon through the fence. The next night, he returned. My husband was very cautious, putting on gloves and a heavy coat. Then he coaxed the dog closer and closer, with the food. While the dog ate from a pan my hubby was able to remove the wire the dog had been tied with by his mean very mean owner. His skin around his neck was cut by the wire and he was bloody. But God healed him he stayed around because he enjoyed being with kind people and he really enjoyed his dinner each night. When our son was born both dogs were very attentive never aggressive only curious. Our baby boy began walking the night he turned 10 months old. He would play outside, walking around with one hand on Bitty's back and the other on Buster's back.
Buster was our first stray, brought to us by God.We have had several since then. Buster would bite of he thought someone might harm us, especially Wade.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2019 :  3:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand that a lot of people don't like pit bull dogs, but they are mean because humans were mean to them. We have been blessed with four part of whole pit bull dogs and our border collie during our adult lives. I believe that God knows when your beloved dog is about to die, and he sends another one for you to feel sorry for, then fall in love with.
Buster was poisoned by our neighbor many times. We moved, when Wade was almost 3. Every neighbor was old. Now as I think back they were in their early 50s. But I was 23. Anyway that old man hated our good dog, and during the ten years we lived there he tried to kill Buster numerous times. Buster would turn up missing, then three days later he would return,lank and exhausted. He would go to a big pond near the airport to vomit up the poison, weiners, etc. Then he would come home. One day a pick up pulled up to my porch, and when I went to the door that old man was in his truck. He would not get out, he was afraid of Buster. When I asked if I could help him, he barked at me, "Go Round There And Get Me My Hammer!" I asked where exactly the hammer was. He barked that it was in my flower bed. So I went around the side of our little house and sure enough there was a hammer. So I took it to him and asked how it ended up in our flower bed. By now, perhaps he felt a bit embarrased, but he was a bit nicer. He said he was angry with Buster because he was eating his chicken feed? ?? So he threw his hammer at Buster. Buster picked the hammer up and brought it home.
I was always nice to that old codger, every time his huge calves got in our back pasture and tried to get even fatter, I nicely called. It happened so frequently, he got to the point of waiting until we were not at home to come over with his trailer and load them up. I never understood why he never attempted to fix the fence corners where he claimed those big calves were coming through, between two cross ties.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2019 :  4:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have two dogs both rescues. Poncho is 3 , He weighs about 8 pounds. Luv to visit our neighbors white german shepherd. His buddy. Poncho is very sweet. Duke is a min pin. Very active and hyper. Although right now you couldn't tell it. They are both sleeping.
My hubby always says. Duke is our protect and guard. Poncho would show burglars where the jewelry is because he wants to be everybody's little friend. lol.
Their our boys and make life exciting...

Hugs: Heavens Ultimate Good Sign

OCD: Overly Cute Disposition

Farmgirls: Sisters from Different Gardens
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2019 :  4:20:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your doggies make me smile, Marlee.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  5:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, on several occasions, we have rats that get into unwanted spaces either in the attic, under the house or in the carport storage closets. We have tried to seal up the cracks that they get into and then set traps and kill them. Here in Florida, they are called tree rats because they literally live in the big oak trees and are everywhere outside, even in the city. It has been an awful problem and sometimes hard to get rid of them. This past January, they got under the house, via a space for big wires in the side of the house and were chewing boards under the house under my Log Cabin!! When we had the exterminator come out, he went under the house and found where the rat was chewing. Plus, the rat had chewed both water lines to my kitchen sink for a water source and they were misting into a big puddle. Several hundred dollars later, the rat was killed with a trap and the water lines replaced. However, we reset the trap and low and behold, we had trapped a second rat under the house which we found this week!1 The thing was so old that it looked like road kill and was just bones and hair left in the trap. shudder!! I hate those nasty critters in my house!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2019 :  5:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie I'm with you. We have mice in the attic. We don't know how they get in. The attic isn't big enough to do more than lift the door in the ceiling and throw the stuff up there for them. You can't even lie down up there because there is now way to get in. We also put stuff in the basement.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 12 2019 5:14:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2019 :  6:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn they are hilarious. And spoiled very so.

Hugs Marlee

Hugs: Heavens Ultimate Good Sign

OCD: Overly Cute Disposition

Farmgirls: Sisters from Different Gardens
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2019 :  12:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is another new foal on our farm. It is a tiny cutie. The other two are running and playing with their moms and each other. I also saw lots of little black and reddish brown baby calves. These Mexican cattle have babies that are so small about half as big as dairy or a stocker cows baby.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2019 :  04:14:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn I imagine by now your chicks are done hatching?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2019 :  06:23:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have three. They are cute. I put more Barnum r
Eggs in the incubator so hopefully they will hatch the 29-31st of March.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2019 :  06:29:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you still have the eggs from the first batch or did you toss those?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 15 2019 06:30:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2019 :  2:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tossed those and began with the little eggs. The three little chicks are fluffy, cute and very busy.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2019 :  11:46:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw this. I love it! I love reading about pets and farm animals. I always wanted Hens and goats and sheep and a cow! I love my Cat babbies They have brought so much joy and happiness to me! I miss my little Pheebs so much!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2019 :  4:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I just got on for a minute to check and see what was going on in the Hen House. Have been busy as my sister, and sister of the heart are coming in on Tuesday for 10 days :)!
We have three 25 lbish dogs. Tyko is the oldest, not sure how old, but has been in our family for 15 years. He looks a little like Toto from the Wizard of Oz. My youngest daughter picked him up of the side of the road. He has lived with her family, then went to live our oldest daughter, then came here to the Retirement Home to live out his life with us old folks :). Then we have GracieBell, she is a mini Aussie, she is 14 years old, and still can be quite busy!!!! She is Blue Merle with 2 blue eyes, last but definitely not least is Barney Rumble, I brought him home from a Walmart parking lot 8 years ago. He is long and low, has sort of wiry hair, mostly white with very dark brown spots around each eye, and a few on his body. He loves life, and is my hubby's "therapy dog" (not really, but he LOVES that pup). Then we have 2 green and blue, peach faced lovebirds, and now 7 chickie girls. Had to bury one yesterday, her name was Rosie :(! Needless to say they keep us very busy and entertained :)! Plus all the yummy eggs from our chickies.

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2019 :  5:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ruth, your critters sound like a fun bunch.
In tractor supply today I got side tracked. I actually went in to use the restroom, but I heard the peeping! So I had to look. They have lots of tubs of chicks and ducks. One tub of bantums, several minds are probably almost a month old. One little guy was sitting on top of the waterer. I asked if he was King of the Mountain. Of course he did not utter a sound. After my feet room stop I went back and walked all the way around the pen to see what kinds they had. There was the King still on his mountain...and his mountain was still clean. I always feel sorry for the little birds when they aren't tiny fluff balls any longer...sometimes they are passed over because everyone loves a baby. Last year the girls I bought were over a month old. But that meant I did not have to buy chick starter as long!!!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2019 :  04:36:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn you better stay away from those tubs of chicks. Last year Betty was in Atwoods Farm & Ranch store and what was left of the chicks were on sale. She bought them all and went home with 30 or 40 chicks. That girl never could pass up a sale or chicks.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2019 :  07:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Sara, I know! I guess your Betty and I are a lot alike. Because on April first I will go back and if they are still in that tub, they may come home with me.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2019 :  07:52:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, when I got Annie I gave my three chickens to Betty. Betty loves her chickens but when they stop or slow down laying she gives them to a friend who free ranges them. I told her not to feel like she had to hold on to my chickens. One was killed by a predator and she was ready to send the other two off to free range with her friend. But one was saved by her 8 year old great grandson who had claimed that chicken when Betty first got her. I guess Betty has got her whether she lays or not.

Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Barnyard babies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page