levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2019 :  05:55:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sitting here at my desk with a cup and watching a little red headed woodpecker on the suet cake this morning. Saw a goldfinch and nuthatch at the feeders outside the kitchen window. I just love to watch them. Everything is still covered in white but it is raining so I don't know if it will wash it away or ice it over. That is what they are saying...ice. I hope not because I have to go out today and I sure don't want to drive on it or walk on it. Makes the snow crunchy but not the roads.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2019 :  06:31:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise enjoy watching the birds and stay safe if you venture out.

The sun is out this morning so I moved my little bay tree from on top of the W&D back to the window. On dark days I turn the florescent ceiling light on in my laundry room and move the bay under it. It's added leaves over the winter but I don't think enough to prune it yet. I have to keep it small so I can winter it over in the house.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2019 :  2:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's hard to believe it's been a Year since we dug up these Buttercups from the old Horne Farm Homeplace down the road, before the road construction started. People came almost every day to dig up a few bunches. Now you would never know a Farmhouse and a Barn and 1000's of flowers ever were there. As much as the new 4 lane highway is needed, those of us who have been here along time, miss seeing the old farmhouse and barn and the flowers blooming each Spring. There were always Artist painting the Barn before they torn it down and people photographing it. It was part of a Cotton plantation. The last of the Sharecroppers homes were torn down also as the construction began. The family built a newer home in the 1970's but kept the old farmhouse. We live on part of the plantation. One of the Sisters sold off her part of the land. There is a lane at the back of our land where people traveled by horse and buggy to the main house. A real estate agent from Memphis bought her home in the 1980's and is going to restore it when he retires. It was built in the early 1900's She was in her late 80's when we bought our land from her. The man who owns the Peach Orchard Farm Stand that I shop at, told me a lot about the history of the farms in this area. His family settled here in 1940.

Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Feb 12 2019 2:25:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2019 :  2:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie your flowers are beautiful. Thanks for sharing the story about the farm and how your place was apart of it. Love stories about old houses and the people who lived there.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2019 :  4:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That is very neat, Connie. Love the old stories. My house has stories, too - and eery once in a while I meet someone who can tell me another one to add.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2019 :  5:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Linda and Sara. I love hearing stories about houses and families and towns History!
Linda share a story about your Farm house with us!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2019 :  5:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, I love your story. I love the pretty flowers that you rescued. When we rented an old house at Chalk mountain, there were old iris trying to grow by the tractor shed. I dug a few roots and brought them here. Now each spring Then are the first to bloom and welcome us home. They are short compared to modern iris.Then we went to an old dairy farm that our friends had leased and dug up salvia...not the perennial red kind that has taken over, but the woody stemmed bushing variety. Most of it has died but I still have three.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2019 :  11:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn that sounds like an interesting place
, Chalk Mountain,do you know the History behind the name?
Hugs.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

mbenton16
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Maryellen
Denver North Carolina
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2019 :  03:52:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just love reading all the great stories. I too love watching the birds. Every variety has their own distinct personality. And every time I think I have a favorite species I change my mind. I just got back from visiting my daughter in Key West Florida and I thoroughly enjoyed sitting on the back porch looking at all the birds I’ve never seen before. And don’t get me started on the iguanas that truthfully look like small alligators. Maryellen

Maryellen Benton
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2019 :  04:01:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mary Ellen
I'm thinking you enjoyed some beautiful days while you were there!
We have bluebirds residing in one of the houses JT put up for them. I love watching them go in and out while I'm doing dishes. Mostly I see the male. They are brighter blue than the females. Makes doing dishes a lot more enjoyable.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Feb 13 2019 04:08:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2019 :  08:53:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I love Iris! What a sweet story.every time mine bloom I think about my Granny, they came from her yard

Denise, I love your bird story. I love my Birdies!!!
Mary Ellen, I'm like you, I love reading everyone's stories and what brings them peace. My Birdies bring peace to me, thanking God for his amazing creation!!
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Feb 13 2019 08:56:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2019 :  1:08:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, I just saw the sweetest thing. I had just finished watering horses and was coiling the hose when I looked at the arena. There was a tiny baby colt nursing. It is quite a way from the barn to the arena, but I could see four little white socks and a white blaze on its face. After it finished nursing it began walking away, my eyes followed...and what a delightful surprise! There was another baby, all dark, just across the pipe fence, but they greeted each other, nose to nose! So sweet.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6074 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6074 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2019 :  2:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Ibet that was a beautiful site Marilyn!
Maryellen, I bet those birds were beautiful, I could do without the alligators for sure the iguanas might be interesting to see.
Have a good day!

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2019 :  3:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mystery bird is an owl. Just a few minutes ago I went out on the back deck with Annie and Mr. Owl flew across my house - over my head - and perched in my neighbor's tree behind me. Not only did I see him to tell he is an owl I heard him. Don't know where he lives but he sure likes to hunt in the yards around me.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2019 :  4:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, I love your daffodils ! It is sad that beautiful old farms have been demolished for needed roads. It is hard to watch local history be erased so quickly. Know many others miss the old place and it's gift of a once alive farm and family home.

Maryellen, thankfully we don't have Iguanas up here , but we make up for it with LOTS OF ALLIGATORS AND SNAKES!!! Truly, Florida was meant to be a wildlife refuge year round as well as a winter habitat for many migrating birds. WE are the invasive species around here!! LOL~!!! Hehehe, I have never had a local critter come up to me and complain about the heat and humidity!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2019 :  4:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember a little farm east of Dallas. My sister lived in Garland and when I would visit we would drive by that farm. The cities grew up all around it, just a corner spot, probably 20 or so acres that the family held on to. It has been years since I saw it last...just wondering if it was finally sold and developed? Yes I think it is sad.
Our Farm to Market, crooked highway, will probably need to be straightened and made wider due to all of the new homes being built on our passed us. I heard sirens last night again. City folks in a hurry. They don't want to live in the big town anymore but they are impatient...always in a hurry.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2019 :  4:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to read a book to my first graders about a little house in the country, I don't remember the title. Anyway the city built out to the little house and right on past. Then one day a nephew of the old lady who had owned the house found it, next to Big tall buildings. He had a soft spot for that little house and had some big trucks move it out into the country where it was happy once more. It even had an Apple tree again. I do believe that God has ways of showing us what we will encounter in our lives...and I have seen many things come to pass that he made me take notice of when I was young.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2019 :  6:31:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, It seems most of the world is in a hurry!!!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2019 :  6:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where is the thread for the 2019 Jubilee?
Connie
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2019 :  6:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
I have that book and read it to the grands when they were small. I might take it on our next trip to the littler grands and read it to them. I can't think of the title right now.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Feb 13 2019 6:36:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2019 :  7:12:06 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Connie -
Here's the link -
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=52

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2019 :  7:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember that book, Marilyn. I need to try and find it. I think my grand littles would like it.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2019 :  12:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Linda!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2019 :  07:48:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies I have solved all the owl mysteries - I now know where he lives. Across the street from me in my neighbor's backyard. She has two large oak trees. The one nearest to the street is like mine and loses it's leaves; the other keeps green leaves all year round. Yesterday morning I saw the owl fly into that tree so I watch for him at dusk last night and sure enough he flew out of that tree. He perched on a limb above my back fence and flew off when Annie charged the fence barking.

It's another overcast day so a perfect day to piddle. Hope to work on latest story. I thought I would have it done this weekend but it'll be into next week. I now know who the killer is and why - just got to get the story told.

Have one row of wool yarn on sheep. Bless it's heart it'll be old and grey by the time I get all his wool on. lol

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2019 :  11:18:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay Sara! We got Barn owls! They will swoop down for your small pets! I drove up just in the nick of time to stop one from trying to get my cat, Axel! That owl went just a few feet over my head!! He dove down to get Axel and I got out of the car, not looking upwards and walked right in front of him, we scared each other!!

I watch a show called "Nature" on PBS, not long ago it was about Owls!! Wow! they are Fast, they have Super sight, because their heads can rotate and they don't make sounds because of the down between their wings, so their prey can't hear them coming! They can dive down up to 120 miles per hour! They have superior Hearing! They can hear mice under the snow!! After I saw that, I concluded that maybe, my cats that disappeared over the years had not got caught by a Coyote, but an Owl! They hunt mostly at night, when there prey is also prowling about! We had outdoor cats that would not come indoors at night. It just amazed me, so much I didn't know about Owls!

Connie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Project Discussions: Previous Topic February ~ 2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page