Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What we are working on~ 2019
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What we are working on~ 2019 Next Topic
Page: of 23

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2019 :  12:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, love the Quilts! like Denise said, they are so wonderful, you can hide the stain parts!
Marilyn, your bags are fabulous!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2019 :  1:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, your bags are so cute and I love what you used to make them. Very clever!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2019 :  2:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, ladies. Recycling! When the first blue northern was on the way, we put tarps on the ends of the chicken pens, to block a bit of the North wind. My husband has a stud horse in a square pen made of panels. He wanted to block the wind for him, but since I had used one of his tarps because I could not find the first one I bought...I gathered up some of these bags,stitched them together and we took them down to make a double barrier between Studley and the cold wind. I am so surprised that they have not shredded all to pieces. But they will be tested again over this next week.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2019 :  2:47:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies, I thought I would introduce you to Bear and Lacey. Bear is the Great Pyrenees, that I found on the road a year ago. Lacey is my son's cow dog! Bear must have wanted it to snow, because he had a great time slinging something he found, so it looked like it had snowed to him. Bear is almost as tall as me, when he wants to give me a hug. I am 5'7" tall.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  09:41:49 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love the Great Pyrenees dogs - they are very good watching their flock. And usually if they know you are a friend of their owner, they, too, are very friendly. I have heard from friends who had them that they do tend to wander sometimes.

One of my friend's Pyrs was also nanmed Bear. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  1:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bear, was named by Bay when he was a little puppy, right after I found him. He is a sweetie, but almost knocked me over the other day. He loves to herd me, and Wade too, as well as animals. One day he lay down in front of my front tire, so I could not leave the barn, but I tricked him and backed up. I had asked him multiple times to move, but he chose to ignore me. He has never wandered off. He is an awesome watch dog. He checks on the chickens during the night, because the light comes on out there. He was in charge of the black calf, but now that it is bigger and runs with two other black calves, Bear does not feel as needed.But he keeps an eye on the two new baby colts and their moms. Usually he is sleeping out in the open where he has a view of a good portion of the front part of our property. If you get close to your friend's Pyrenees look at the way his hair grows. Bear looks like he has been to a groomer. Pretty amazing!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6079 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6079 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  6:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine in Scotland had some Great Pyrenees for years they passed away recently, they loved them so much but decided that with their health issues and age that they wouldn’t get another one. They really would love another one, they are huge but beautiful,
Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  10:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is sad that their beloved pets died. I wonder how long Great Pyrenees live. This is my first experience with them. I have known many boat people who keep them. I have even happened upon one lying on the warm pavement, in a remote area. He could see his goats but I suppose he was enjoying that early spring time day. I have also seen one run from the fenced area near a county road, he wanted nothing to do with humans. I love Bear, but when I scratch his beautiful head he wants to wants to jump up and ???Anyway I'm afraid he will knock me down.so when I go out side I try to remember my white pvc pipe that is my walking stick. It helps me navigate when my Herdsman tries to stop me or make me go a different direction.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2019 :  03:44:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a GP in Howe named Penelope after the heirloom white rose bush. I lost her a year before I moved to Paris. She was eight years old.

She grew up with my cats and watched over them. I tried to keep mama cat Toby in but she would sneak out walking underneath Penelope. When they were outside she would run out from underneath her. Fooled me more than once.

When Sweet Baby Girl had kittens in the house she let Penelope smell them as she cleaned them off. From that time on Penelope knew those kittens. She would chase off strays but slept with 'her' kittens.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2019 :  08:51:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a sweet story Sara!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2019 :  2:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need some help of advice. What is the best brand of cotton thread? I just bought a 1,200 yd. Spool from Walmart, coats and clark...I had been buying their Gutermann cotton thread from Greece. Both are expensive and so frustrating to work with because they break....and break! Am I doing something wrong or what?

I have changed needles on the machine from denim to 80/12s which is a normal needle.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Mar 04 2019 3:01:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2019 :  3:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn - I'm not sure which brand cotton thread is best. I will ask a few of my diehard quilting friends.

Sara - Love the story of your GP.

Here are pix of some table runners I made last week. I made a total of 6 and send 4 of them to friends.
My Valentines/spring Tablerunner

Valentines Tablerunner I sent to my Snoopy friend, Connie

Valentines tablerunner showing the backing sprinig floral fabric

My Farmgirl-themed TR (I made 4 of these and sent 3 out) These were made from squares from one of my 10" square swaps for farmgirl fabric.

I guess I've got my Jubilee table runner done now - I'm so happy the 2019 Jubilee theme is quilts.

Today I've been working on one of the little boy quilts I'll be sending to Germany ahead of our trip in December. I am making these quilts for my friend's 2 grandsons, and I'm also thinking of other gifts to make for my friend, her husband, and her two daughters. Ed and I will be at their home for Christmas and a week after Christmas - after our 8-day River cruise up the Danube and 3 days in Prague.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  05:13:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda your table runners are beautiful. You do good work!!!

My hope today is to get back to my story. Last week or so MS fog has kept me from working on it. Also would like to work on wool sheep. Bless it's heart it's cold outside and it only has a half dozen or so rows of wool yarn on its wee body.lol

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  06:35:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, your quilts are beautiful! I love all the fun fabrics you find and incorporate into your patterns.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6079 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6079 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  06:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are nice quilts Linda! You have been busy.
Have a good day.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  07:17:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, your table runners are great... I love that they are reversible. Your upcoming trip sounds divine! A European river cruise is one of the things on my bucket list. I read about one once that was around Christmas and your stops included getting to do things with local shop owners, like learning to make strudel and knitting. I didn't think that would be the kind of vacation Brad would really enjoy, though. Oh, who knows... I could picture him trying his hand at making strudel...but maybe not knitting!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  07:21:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I just took a look through my thread drawer. It seems like I have a lot of Gutermann but it isn't my favorite. Sometimes it's all I can find at the quilt store. I also have Aurifil, which I love. I have 1 or 2 spools of Masterpiece by Alex Anderson. I would never buy it again...it is so light and fine...it was breaking on me constantly.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  10:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My thread of choice it Gutermann.
I don't have trouble with it at all. It is all I use anymore.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2019 :  4:26:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks ladies, I have some Gutermann thread but it is polyester, from Germany.
I can not use it on the things I make that can go into the microwave.
The Gutermann cotton thread from Greece is what I find so frustrating. It breaks, and breaks! It curls up around the needle when I cut something loose. And I am constantly retreading my machine! What a time waster!!!
I will be looking for some Aurifil, Debbie. Thanks.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  1:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Gutermann I have is cotton thread. I think I got it from Joann's. I also use their quilt thread which is also cotton.

I finished the quilt for my granddaughter but did not get it quilted. I started to but was having trouble with the machine so gave it up. Took it to her and she knows someone that can do it on their machine. She seemed happy with how far I managed to get done for her anyway.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  2:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Aurifil is a good thread. I don't have it, but I know a lot of people who use it.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  2:28:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new spool of C and C is Egyptian cotton. Since my hands hurt and my feet too, I sat and sewed. Not constantly but I stitched a lot of squares together and did some of my grandma's piecing. She sewed tiny snippets of white fabric together, pressed them with her old flat iron and cut out her blocks. Today the thread did pretty good. It only broke, maybe three times.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  2:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I love your fur Babies! I have heard those Great Pyrenees are the Best to protect your other pets and livestock!

Linda I love your Quilt Matts, especially since one is on my table!! Love it!!!

I finished Lily Junes Cloth Barbie Kitchen! The table was easy, the rest was not! I WILL NOT be making the bedroom or living room! LOL! I like that when you untie the ribbons it folds flat!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  4:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Connie - love the Barbie kitchen. You did a great job.

Here is a picture of the first quilt top I've made to take to Germany for a Christmas present. It's a panell with coordinating fabrics around it.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2019 :  4:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, they will love that!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What we are working on~ 2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page