Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What we are working on~ 2019
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What we are working on~ 2019 Next Topic
Page: of 23

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2019 :  8:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking the same thing about the cow, Marilyn. I have given instructions like that before. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2019 :  11:07:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks. I will look.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2019 :  03:52:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,
Those are so cute! Do you have someone who does the long arm quilting for you or do you do it? I would love to find someone who does it for others. I enjoy hand quilting but soome of the quilts take such a long time to do that way.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2019 :  03:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am finishing up a quilt my daughter started and didn't have time to work on. I have the top done just need to get it put together with the back and batting so I can take it out to her. She did star wars but it is done so the characters look like children. I'll get a picture up when I finish it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2019 :  07:10:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning I'm felting the red jacket in batches. I am now on plan C or maybe it's D I can't remember. Jackets are the pits to work with but I keep telling myself I will have beautiful wool for very little $. What's taking so long is the adhesive backing on the front; lapels; and collar. Soaking for hours in batches than peeling it off.

Have decided to do just one jacket at a time so it will take me weeks to get all 4 done. One jacket in pieces is not enough to justify washing in washer even on small load. So I am felting in my slowcooker. Double liners; boiling water from electric teakettle; and 'cook' on high for an hour. That's longer time than the directions in book but I'm adjusting time for the slowcooker.

All adhesive backing is off so I hope to have all red jacket pieces done by tonight so I can dry them in the dryer.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2019 :  12:28:07 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Denise -

Quite a few gals in my quilt guild do longarm quilting for others - usually $.01 or $.015 a square inch for edge to edge meandering. One gal does really custom quilting - I'm not sure how much she charges but quite a few gals use her over anyone else.

I have so many tops that need quilting - I try to spread them out so I can afford it.

I started a thread in the Jubilee topic called 2019 Jubilee Quilt Show. Please post pictures of any quilts or other quilted items you have made. I posted a few and am trying to post many more - I'm having trouble because of the folder they are in. GRRRRR! Hate computers sometimes.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6078 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6078 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2019 :  1:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have made a few quilt tops but put them away to do other craft things but am getting in the mood again. Still have to go through things first and give some away. Can't get out much at the moment because of the rain. ilk.

have a good one.
hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2019 :  9:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Sara that sounds !like a lot of work!
Darlene you have had several rainy days!
Denise and Linda, Missouri Star has a big bunch of long arm machines that run all the time. I don't re.ember how much they charge.
I worked out doors all day long & I am exhausted! My plan was to gather firewood, and put it in the garage so it would be dry. WEll , I never got that done. Instead I raked hay out of the garage...and I'm still wondering why it was all over the floor.I picked up two bags of dog food and cat food cans from everywhere thanks to Bear, lacey and Shadow who love to steal them from the trash, lick them and leave them on the ground.
I bagged up so many feed sacks, horse feed, chicken crumbles, alfalfa cubes and chicken scratch. Again the dogs scatter them and the three black calves were so bad to make messes thankfully they are penned now! So when my husband came home I told him there was a dead black hen in there and asked him to bury it. He just buried one a couple of days ago. Well when he came back inside he told me it was Old Twisty Toes, a big red rooster & not a black hen. That made me sad. Old Twisty Toes was deformed from birth, but he lived about seven years. Now there are seven contractor bags in the driveway, and my son did not come home with his trash trailer. Oh well, when he does bring it home I can put them in plus some more. Tomorrow I will try to get the wood in if my muscles are willing. I have a new friend at the barn. He comes over wanting to be petted, and today I gave him a big hug of sorts. He is the friendliest one down there.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6078 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6078 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2019 :  10:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy Marilyn you do keep busy! Poor twist toes, was he old?
Have a good night!

Hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  04:45:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn you sure are busy. I went out yesterday to collect eggs and found one of my girls dead in a nest box. JT buried her when he got home. She was one of our two yr old flock of Rhode Island reds. I'm not sure why she died. JT said he thinks it was the one who was acting kind of sick a couple of weeks ago but I hadn't noticed any of them being sick. Our oldest girls are 6 now. They are Black Sex link and we only have 4 or 5 of those left. We always get flocks of 25.
I finished getting the quilt for my daughter put together. It needs quilted is all and then I'm done.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Feb 27 2019 04:48:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  04:46:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn it was a lot of work but along the way it got easier as I found better ways of doing it. The next jacket when I get around to it should go faster.

I wanted to know how much I would have to pay for the biggest piece - the back - so I measured it this morning. 19" X 24" - To buy: the closest piece they offer is 15" X 24 at $15. So for the 3 women's jackets it would cost $45 - the man's jacket may be a little more - lets say $20.

The 4 jackets cost me $8 so net savings will be around $57 and look at all the fun I will have using the wool in wool appliques. I have an idea for making a red barn with sheep. Now I can do it.

Felting wool garments does make sense because of money saved. I will be on the look out for skirts; sweaters; and blankets - no adhesive backing.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  04:50:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara is that how big the piece ended up after felting it?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  05:05:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Denise. If I think about it I will measure the next back piece before and after felting. I could tell a wee difference in the thickness of the wool. It was a slight difference but I could feel it was thicker and the weave had tightened up. I will keep looking for a large pot I can use on canning hot plate.

If I was to do a more in-depth testing I would measure the thickness of the wool before and after felting. That's what I would do if I was still in quality control. Been retired for over 20 years but I still catch myself acting like an inspector.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  06:07:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, that's not a bad thing Sara.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  06:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you got the first jacket ready to use in your projects.
I think that is how we learn, trying something new...Then monitoring and adjusting to achieve our goal.You did good!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  07:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. It was worth the trouble. Haven't figured up how much wool is in the two sleeves and 2 front pieces. May have saved $30 for each jacket.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  08:48:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, your jackets sound so amazing. I have always wanted to learn how to felt. I have a kit. I just gotta find time to try it.
Connie
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  09:09:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too Connie. I have so many other projects going on that I need to finish first.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  10:44:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to make this for Lily June, it is tedious for me! I found it on ebay for $5.00. I had never used Fusible fleece before, I watched a tutorial first and that helped a lot! Once the sewing is done, 1/4 inch foamboard is inserted for the walls, the Table and chairs are made from cardboard and carboard toilet paper rolls. That part will be fun. If I finish it. LOL! I'll post a picture. They also have a living room and a bedroom. If I survive this one, I may try another one. This fabric sheet was from 2012. Lily June wants it finished now! her Toddler patience is about 4 minutes! LOL!

Connie

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  11:01:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why of course, when they see it they hound you to hurry!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 27 2019 11:08:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  11:03:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool! I have never heard of fixable fleece either, but it is cute.
Is this Lily June size of is it for her dolls?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  11:07:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once in a workshop I built a table and four stools from 3/4" thick cardboard. I was amazed that it came in a 4 ' x 8' sheet, just like plywood...and if it never gets wet it is quite strong.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  11:56:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, that sounds cute! The kitchen is Barbie doll size. I don't have any where to hide things. I sew on the dining room table, where the light is good. So Lily June is ready fir me to be done. Lol!
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Feb 27 2019 11:58:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  1:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie that is going to be so cute.

Marilyn - never heard of thick cardboard. I'm always amazed at what I learn from FarmGirls.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2019 :  1:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie I also sew me on my table in the kitchen, because I can see the road, and know who comes and goes up our lane. Strange vehicles...I will go out and ask what or who they want! Since I am the only one home usually. Some days my husband is here too, but he cannot hear well.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What we are working on~ 2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page