Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What we are working on~ 2019
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What we are working on~ 2019 Next Topic
Page: of 23

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  4:14:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I couldn't remember if I shard these. My Aunt gave these back to me too. This is oil paint called trans tint. Since the only other piece I have is a Santa, I was so happy to have them. I ask about Emett then but She wasn't ready to let him go! She would not let me pay her! I did a pitcher and bowl for my mom. She still has it.
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Jul 10 2019 4:38:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  7:34:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sister was divorced and she got into doing ceramics. She worked all day, put her little two year old to bed and worked on her ceramics. I was going to school, and did not have time. Then when Wade was about nine, we took a class once a week. Those older ladies did not want me to bring him with me, and He was such a sweet, well behaved kid...I thought they were rude. But they had way more money than me so they won. After a month of classes, the teacher told me about their grumbling, we left. I would go by and drop things off to be fired or we would go by, when they were not there, and select our new green ware. I still have most of our little pieces.
Several years passed and I changed to the country school. I was asked to do something with the 4-H kids who were too young to show animals! By then the school had bought a little 16 passenger bus. So you can guess where we went...to town to the ceramic shop...many times that year. That is when one of the moms told me of a kiln for sale for $150.00. I bought it, she helped me put it together in the bus barn. We did a fund raiser to buy the glazes, the school paid the electric bill and everyone had fun! I still have that kiln. It has not been used in many many years. I always wanted to learn to throw pots...mud! Mud!
Then I taught art. In the closet was a beautiful almost new kiln. I ordered big 10# chunks of terra cotta clay, cut it with a wire and we had fun.tiny pinch pots, birds, nests of eggs, you name it!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  7:41:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie you are so talented! Did you take art at school or are you a natural born artist. Your work is so professional!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  02:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie your work is beautiful. Marilyn you never stop amazing me on what you have done and accomplished in your life.

I did a little ceramics in the late 70s - early 80s. The last piece I did was a grey cat that I wanted to do because I had a grey Persian, named Gandalf after the grey wizard in Lord of the Rings. Dustin was seven or eight at the time and he was in the pickup with me after I picked up the fired cat to paint. When I pulled into the driveway, my cat ran under the truck and I killed him. It started to rain but I had to bury him so I did.

When I got inside I started to put the ceramic cat in the closet but Dustin said that I should paint it so I could remember Gandalf forever. He was right. I finished the ceramic cat and it sits on my bedroom floor next to the stack of vintage cardboard suitcases.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  08:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,I painted a lot at home .we had same situations at our shop. I had to get done, too much talking and laughing at the shop.I loved to paint in natural light so I painted outside on my picnic table a lot!I just always love to color and paint as a kid. No art lessons. Thank you for the compliment! What a fun field trip!!!
I agree your life stories are wonderful! They would make a great book!! Hugs!
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Jul 11 2019 08:27:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  08:29:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Sara, your story made me cry. Same thing happened to me. I backed over my neighbors kitten. I didn't see her. I grived over that for years. They were sad but knew how much I loved cats. And how much it hurt me what I had done.
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Jul 11 2019 08:30:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  11:36:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara and Connie, your cat stories are sad rememberances, but God forgave you. l Long ago I
Had a grey cat. We lived, Renting, on an old farm near my job. I loved my cat, Bob, no tail! But he did not feel so good so we went to the vet. That is when I met Pete F. The only vet I have ever known who loved animals just as much as their masters. Truly a man of God. He and I each sat down, on opposite sides of the exam table, where Bob was lying. He cried as he told me he could not save my kitty, then of course I cried too. We guessed that Bob had taken a tractor shop tour and then licked his paws...probably antifreeze.
Skip forward about three years. Rain Dancer, the most beautiful horse I will ever see, got sick. We had just moved here. Wade called Pete. He came and stayed at the barn all night long, working, trying to save her life. We all cried that night. It was so sad for me because I was the first person who saw her right after her birth, as she danced about the lot, in the 5am drizzling rain. Thus the name Rain Dancer. She was the color of a shiny copper penny and on her back were chestnuts. Her name and tail were golden colored. Such a beauty! After they gave up on trying to save her, Pete cried as he gave her the sleepy medicine. Then Wade got on his very old tractor and dug an enormous hole, drug her there and buried her. I watched as my broken hearted son bawled his eyes out, and thinking about it now...I could cry again.
They say that if you want to have a farm, keep animals, etc., you must be prepared for some of them to die.
We never kept the girls from seeing,and feeling the pain of losing an animal they loved..

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  11:41:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, thank you. I did not do anything extra, I just lived the life God gave me.

Connie, my favorite thing to do is to paint, in the quiet, alone with God.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  12:52:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big hugs Marilyn! Thanks for sharing Bob and Rain Dancer! I could picture them both! I don't know how people make it thru loss of any kind without our Lord Jesus!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  12:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
you are all so talented, each and every one of you. We all do what we like and love to do.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  1:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, you have lived it very well and probably did it in style.

Working on a wool applique chair pocket. It has a little rabbit with a backpack of carrots. I'm already thinking about other projects to use the rabbit. Maybe one with a backpack of flowers.

Remember several months back when we were talking about how to make felted wool. Today in an e-mail conversation with a friend who lives in the Dallas area she asked me to tell her about wool applique. I told her how to felt the wool by boiling it. She knew what I was talking about because she worked for a western hat manufacturer for years. Never know when what we learned or experienced years ago will come in handy in a conversation.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  1:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love all of these stories...you girls just amaze me with all that you have done! Thank you for sharing with us!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  1:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I have always wanted to learn to felt. I wish we could see your beautiful work. Teri from white sheep farm sent me a little wool to play around with. I have not had time to do it yet.

Debbie, Im sure you have done a lot! your a lot younger than most of us, so your still collecting stories as are we! My world opened up so much when I joined MJF. No one close to me loves the things I love and the ones who did are passed on now.

Linda,you sew beautiful!!! I treasure the things you have gifted me! when you love something, you try harder. I know I do. My goal is to sew more complicated things.
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Jul 11 2019 1:34:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  1:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, Sara, what a story about your beloved fur friend!! I love that you have such a sweet remembrance in his honor too! Gosh, so many of you have had such interesting experiences with ceramics. It has been interesting hearing all about your many adventures in this wonderful craft that has served families and businesses for generations.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  2:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love the Tilda dolls you make, especially my chicken. My mother was very good at stuffing her Raggedy Ann/Andy dolls - mine always seem to have cellulite. LOL!

I love crafts - some that are quick and easy.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Jul 11 2019 7:33:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  6:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Linda!!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2019 :  06:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, what is a Tilda doll?

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2019 :  08:43:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I just sent Jess some Tilda books, you will have to check them out! It's dolls,crafts of all kinds.Tone the girl who created them is Norwegian! Their sewing techniques are different!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2019 :  10:40:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are cute Connie. She just brought them over.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2019 :  6:15:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While looking for Tilda pictures for Jess I found a picture of my Ceramic Santa! He won A Blue Ribbon! I still have him so far!! I gotta put him up high at Christmas so he don't get broken! I have not looked at these Sd cards in years, so many pictures I forgot about. There are pictures of MJ farm swaps from 2012 on them.

Connie
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6080 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6080 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2019 :  6:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a cute Santa Connie, Thanks for sharing him.

hugs
darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2019 :  7:22:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Darlene! He is very special to me!!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2019 :  7:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
very nice statues, Connie. You do beautiful painting work.

I love to look at the Tilda books I have bought. So far I haven't made anything yet. I love Tone's things.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2019 :  8:34:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always enjoy your pictures
Connie.I
Thanks for sharing!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2019 :  12:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marilyn! Ceramics have always been near and dear to my heart!!
Thanks Linda!painting has always been soothing to me. May be because I had MS then, but I didn't know it.

Connie.

Edited by - Killarney on Jul 13 2019 1:46:52 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What we are working on~ 2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page