Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What we are working on~ 2019
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What we are working on~ 2019 Next Topic
Page: of 23

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2019 :  12:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks y'all! I want one. I put this one in the mail today for someone having a rough time right now.
Marilyn, about 5 inches. Depends on how fat you stuff it. I use the tilda doll method of sewing small things. You turn the fabric right sides together, pin your pattern. Sew it, then cut it out. Works great for small things. Its adds 1/4 inch to your pattern. I got my fabric.com order just now. More eyelet for me and Elsa for Lily June skirts!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2019 :  4:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With hot , humid, or rainy weather, lots of us down here in the Southern states are digging into projects that are done INSIDE!! Today was case in point: Off and on all day, it would rain, the sun should come out, it would be miserable and humid, and then it rained again. Repeat. Repeat!! So, this afternoon, I worked on making some things for our upcoming Apple Festival in September and Fall swaps in general. You know me, after about 2 weeks of Florida Summer, I have Apples and Fall on the brain. It is my coping strategy and way cheaper than medicine or therapy!! LOL!!! I even dug out my Gooseberry Patch Fall cookbook and looked at recipes I had marked that were so good last year.And I ate an apple. And I took apart an old vintage flour sack pillow cover and made it into a little table cover for the porch, where it is way to hot to sit except first thing in the morning about 7 am.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2019 :  8:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like you are working hard to stay same in that oppressive heat, Winnie. I'm a lot like that. I have been working on pulling out my left over trims, etc. Then I glue or sew or whatever to get some pages ready to make a junk journal for my daughter in law.
Last Friday I worked out side all day long. I had to water everything and some needed to have some fertilizer. Now God has given all the plants a good drink or two. So I can play inside. I also need to finish the blocks for that tee shirt quilt.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2019 :  8:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie looks like you will be sewing. How long are the skirts you are making for Lily June??? Can you make one from a half yard of fabric?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2019 :  03:59:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, sounds like me. I always feel like I'm doing things backwards but when it is too hot and sticky to go outside that is when I do my quilting or other projects. I have cross stitch project I am working on now. I finished the Halloween table topper I started for my daughter last year. It was a ufo till now. Did a couple small things for my swaps. I also worked on the cross stitch I started last year but had to set aside. It will take a while and I always do things in between. Probably why I don't end up getting them finished right off. At least it is my last ufo. Then I can work on the projects I have been wanting to start. Quilts for the two oldest grandsons and one for us. I have some small projects in mind also.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jun 19 2019 04:14:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2019 :  09:18:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, they are 16 inches. I can get one out of 1/2 yard. But I have to make the pocket from 2 pieces of scraps. They are easy and so cool for the summer.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2019 :  09:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I am also definitely for inside projects. I have several small item projects to do. Some of them are coming with me this weekend. Ed and I are going to Albany Texas to see a historical pageant that a town puts on every year and has for 80 some years. I’m hoping for some antique shops. But temps are supposed to be in the hundreds, so I may be sewing inside the motorhome. Some of them are coming with me this weekend. Ed and I are going to Albany Texas to see a historical pageant that a town puts on every year and has for 80 some years. I’m hoping for some antique shops. But temps are supposed to be in the hundreds, so I may be sewing inside the motorhome. The garage does need cleaning out and I need to take pictures of things I want to list for sale in FB Marketplace. I will try to do that in the morning.

Around 9 o’clock this morning and cut down branches from one of my big sycamore trees; they were hanging too low, and they were also preventing my lilac bush from getting shade. It is not the sweet lilacs from up north, they are Persian lilacs, and they don’t smell, but they do look pretty when they bloom. My job was to lift him up with the tractor; he put a pallet across the hayforks so that there was a platform to stand on and then I would have to lift him up and tilt it properly to get him to the areas that he needed to get to with his chainsaw. He trusted me, and it worked well.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2019 :  12:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was brave Linda! Wade built a long platform to put over the sky track forks so they can lift building materials up to the top of new builds as well as remodels.It is made of steel and has a "hand rail" welded on the back side. I see the guys standing up on the platform working, sometimes they have one hand on that rail...especially on really windy days...although I think the real purpose is to keep the lumber, sheetrock, metal roofing, shingles, from slipping backward and crashing down on the driver, my hubby.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2019 :  8:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, he was, Marilyn. LOL! He is planning to make a platform with a railing for safety reasons. I made sure he sat down each time before I moved up or down. LOL! And he actually did without an argument.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2019 :  07:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished the kitchen chair swags yesterday so while I am waiting on Betty I am laying out a new project. I have a large rabbit pattern for wool applique but I am going to use the pieced plaid cotton fabric I bought at Hobby Lobby. Will use two other prints for ears & tail. buttons for eyes. Since it will be a fairly easy project and I have enough material to make pillows for my three sisters and myself.

For the pillows I plan on using muslin bags I ordered from Colonial Patterns that will be easy to stuff. Planning on using my on the sideporch.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2019 :  5:09:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like fun Sara!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2019 :  5:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is what I loved working on in my 20's. My Aunt is moving after 32 years and she gave this to me! I painted on commission for a Ceramic Shop and my Aunt was a good customer. She paid me well. I painted so many 3 foot tall Owls and 4 foot tall Giraffes.Oh how I wish I had one of Them! Underglaze was my love. Thats how Emett Kelly, my clown was painted! I won a blue ribbon for him because I stayed true to his colors instead of using brighter on his coat. His real coat was black! I am over the moon to have him. I painted so much for others, I never got around to painting for myself. Then I went to work and had a family. So no time to paint!
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2019 :  10:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Emett looks great, Connie. You do such beautiful work!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2019 :  10:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Your chair covers and pillows sound wonderful, Sara. So glad you have found a project you like.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  04:13:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Linda, wool applique gives me a lot of pleasure.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  07:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, you do such nice work! I'm glad he's back home with you.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  08:06:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, I love your Emmet the clown. I always felt sorry for him because he looks so sad!

Did you ever see the Shriners, dressed as clowns, riding their tiny motor bike/scooters?
It seemed like they came to our little town several times when I was a young mother. I don't remember which parade they were in...

When I was teaching I became acquainted with a lady who basically grew up at the Shriners Hospital in Dallas. She was from here but was born without all of her fingers and toes. They tried to fix her issues.

Back to painting...thank you for bringing the subject up. I bought a large nativity set in bisque, maybe 25 or more years ago. I had poured, cleaned, fired and dry brushed a set just like it when my son was in high school. I gave it to the church, after I built a creche' to display it with. But I wanted one for my home. We moved, my life changed gears again, no time!
Each year as Christmas approaches, I think of it, but early December, there is not enough time to get it painted.

So thank you my dear. It is now on my list as a late summer/ early autumn activities!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  2:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This would be a great time for painting, Marilyn. Have fun - and come Christmas time you will have it all done.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  2:46:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, what a great story about your painting history!! You did a wonderful job on the clown shown here. My Mom dabbled in painting some pottery and then gifted them to all of us. From her days , in the 1970s, I have a mini Christmas tree with the little colored lights that fit in the holes, a pumpkin plate, a small pain ceramic pumpkin whose lid came off, a little witch and ghost figurines, and a bathroom cup with strawberries on it. It was a very popular craft opportunity when someone had a kiln and the raw pieces to finish and paint and decorate. It always looked like a lot of fun too! Love all of your ribbons that you were awarded !!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  3:30:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a lot of ceramics when I was a young married. Gave most everything as gifts. I do remember making and painting a set of canisters. They have since been lost due to moving.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  3:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks y'all.
Denise I wanted to do canisters, I never got around too it. At that time the mushroom ones were so popular. We had the same mold as the Sears catalog.
Winnie,you have some special pieces! I painted many of those trees and pumpkins! Many of my Holiday pieces were broken by the kids always running thru my house!

The reason all the ceramic shops shut down was in the 80's when leaded paint was outlawed. The owners had 1000S of dollars of paint inventory that had to be destroyed and couldn't afford to replaced it all. We still have 2 small shops open.They have very small things to paint. Those molds,I remember were heavy to pour and handle. Folks my age just cant do the heavy work. Young kids now do the paint a piece. No waiting to fire.
I sure enjoyed it and have such fun memories!
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Jul 10 2019 4:06:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  3:57:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, yay! You do it!! I loved emett! My dad is a Shriner. He was a clown!!the shriners do so much for kids!
I bet your nativity was beautiful. I loved dry brushing Too!! I always wanted my own kiln. Never could afford one when I was young, then when I went to work and could afford one, I had no time! The story of my life! Lol!!
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Jul 10 2019 4:04:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  3:59:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, we still have a shop here close by. It's a new place. I was surprised to see it. I have thought about going over to see what they have.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  4:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Denise you should go!!tell us about what they have!!!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  4:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'll stop by tomorrow when I go out. I will let you know. Would love to so a Christmas tree as a gift if they still do those.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What we are working on~ 2019 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page