Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2019 :  05:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About a decade ago, I put together a First Aid kit for each car. There are various types of bandages, tape, scissors, alcohol hand cleaner, a Kling type wrap(holds a bandage in place and wraps around hands, legs etc), bug spray for mosquitoes and chiggers, and some sort of antiseptic ointment. It all has to be checked once a year for outdates and replenished on occasion. We usually always bring water with us when we go anywhere and I keep tylenol , Ibuprofen, tums, Benadryl, throat lozenges and basic eye drops in my purse at all times.

As for hurricane preparations, we do the usual water and canned goods stocks each season, along with some LED flashlights and oil lamps/candles. We have a gas stove which has never gone out in any type of power shortages over the decades, and so we can cook for ourselves and neighbors if needed. Living in the city usually means that services are restored more quickly than in rural areas. However, Hurricane Irma left us without power for 7 days which was the longest yet. There were parts of town that did have power so, for example, I was able to go to my gym and shower and recharge my phone every day which was wonderful. It also had AC which was even better because following a hurricane, it is always more humid and hot for several days making sleep impossible!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2019 :  06:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
The wood furnace is out behind our garage and it heats water.
The pipes are run underground through a big tube which goes through a trench that JT dug from the furnace to the basement. The water pipes are connected to the existing heater and warm the hot air that is forced through the vents. Before it gets cold enough to light the furnace but cold enough for heat, we change it over to the propane. So the wood,propane and the a.c. unit are all connected in to the same duct work.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 12 2019 06:11:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2019 :  06:14:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
First aid kits in the car are a great idea! Also all the extra you keep in your purse I would also add to the kit.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2019 :  12:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, your heating system is amazing. There is a home, probably built in the 1960s that is heated by pipes run beneath the floors. Not water flowing through the pipes kep t the owners toasty warm. I have wondered if it continues to work...But I never knew who the folks were. My son's idea is to insulate so much that you don't need much heat. Their home is always 69° and they rarely turn on the heat. The new western store he built last year has sprayed foam insulation. He said that they will have almost zero heat and cooling bills. That would be pretty nice.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2019 :  12:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prepsteaders is a website on you tube. She has put up some very good teaching videos. She is a sweet young single woman from ???. But she is enjoyable to hear and watch. You might like to learn to make Ghee or candied ginger or hard tac...or some of the best yogurt I have ever tasted...among many other things.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9524 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9524 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2019 :  3:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to print out these different things that you all have talked about to remind myself to get some of these things together. It will make me feel better knowing we are somewhat prepared in the event we need to be.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Being prepared Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly