debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2018 :  4:00:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, Girls! Just checking in with all of you. How are your Christmas plans coming along???

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2018 :  4:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are coming! I haven't done much as hubby has been away for 3 weeks of work...hopes to come home this weekend so we'll put up our tree then. How about you, Debbie?

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2018 :  7:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our tree is up and decorated. When I finish the current sewing project, I will wrap gifts. I put up lights outside last weekend. I still need to find my wide ribbon and make a large wreath to hang by the back door. My pain was so bad for a while, nothing got done, but changing my diet a bit and drinking turmeric tea and golden milk have helped some. My hands are becoming so stiff it is frightening. But I keep on going. God helps me.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  6:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christmas is coming FAST!!!! I spend every day making something for Christmas! Funds are non existent this year, so I am making everything... even every piece of clothing! Right now I am averaging an outfit a day... I'm hoping for 4 pieces per child, plus Christmas Eve pajamas. I cannot even begin to tell you how thrilled I am that I have a mega stash of fabric. For hubby, I am hoping to come up with date nights... one for each month... so if anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate them!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  6:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie - how are your plans coming along? What all do you have planned?

Joyce - sure hope hubby got home safely and you guys have been able to spend quality time together!

Marilyn - I am so so sorry!!! I can only imagine the everyday pain you suffer through. Please know you are loved and prayed for! <3

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2018 :  8:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, my mother made all of our Christmas gifts too. She bought undressed dolls and the shoes. But she made everything else. All of our clothes, she made. I was in between 7th and 8th grade when she and I went to town where I chose, with her help, two summer dresses. Her arthritis was so bad that year her hands could not even sew. I remember the little wooden doll trunk she made for my sister one year. She was a master with that coping saw and Apple crates...which were free at the grocery store.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2018 :  11:27:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn - such special memories!!! I pray my kids remember these days of their childhood! Today I cut out our Christmas Eve pajama pants... all ten pairs, lol

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2018 :  1:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my!!! Good wishes for you and your sewing machine!
I just finished my marathon sewing experience.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2018 :  11:24:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I love the story about your mother making your Christmas presents! One of my favorite Christmases was when I was about 4. Santa brought me a crib and a play kitchen. My mom made all of the bedding for my crib. I could hear her sewing on her sewing machine while I was supposed to be napping! Another year my grandma made me a whole shoebox full of clothes for the doll I had at the time...does anyone remember the Crissy doll that had auburn hair and it would "grow"? She made them mostly out of scraps from her polyester pant suits...so Crissy and grandma were twins! haha
Shannon, I love that you are making all of those clothes! Your kids have a real treasure in you! This is the first year that I didn't have any hand made gifts planned and I was kind of starting to miss it so I decided to make my 2 sisters aprons. Off to the fabric store I go today.....I thought I might have something in my stash, but no.
My granddaughter, Merit, will be having her first birthday party this Sunday...can't believe how quickly this year has gone by! She is my heart, that girl. After this weekend, I'm hoping to get some baking done, just not sure what yet.
My daugher in law is hosting Christmas dinner this year so I am just enjoying the season...been reading and loving the lights and tree and just reflecting on Jesus' birthday.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2018 :  4:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today is my sister's birthday, so I called her. We were cut off..probably 20 times! We laughed about it. Her daughter graduated again last night she is a full fledged RN now. My husband's youngest niece is also a new RN. Both of these ladies have families, both had nursing degrees ( associates and LVN), and were working as nurses. I know this is a sweet Christmas for them. Our grand daughter will do the same next December!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2018 :  05:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie - Your Christmas season sounds absolutely lovely! I dream of one day being able to just sit back and enjoy the Christmas season... but first I have to not procrastinate, lol. It is completely my own doing, but right now there is such a time crunch that I'm not enjoying much of the season at all! I did get to go see the local Christmas Carol musical last night with my two oldest daughters, so that was lovely! Eight of the ten pajamas are done, as well as the first outfit for round 4. Today I will finishing the other two pajamas as well as a second outfit for round 4. It is also baking day. Did I tell you guys about that??? On Monday evening, one of our Mennonite teenaged neighbors stopped by. He asked if they could come caroling Sunday evening (tomorrow evening). I said that would be lovely, and that I would love to have them in for some hot drinks and baked goods afterwards. He says that sounds great... it will be their whole youth group plus the pastor's whole family (a family of 9 I think). So today, we are baking!! When I had originally given the invite, I had thought it would just be his family, but honestly I'm happy to do it for them all - I jut have a lot to do, hahaha. Oh today is also "Snowman day" at our house... breakfast will be snowmen made from powdered donuts as well as snowmen made from pancakes. And then dinner will be homemade pizzas, including one shaped like a snowman, tree, and probably a stocking <3

Marilyn congratulations to your granddaughters! There are times I miss working as an RN!!! But God has me right where He wants me <3

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2018 :  06:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, yes I believe you are right where God wants you to be right now. Someday, after all of your kiddos are grown up with families and careers, you may find your empty nest a bit lonely. Then perhaps you can once again be an RN.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2018 :  09:13:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hoping everyone had a Merry Christmas!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2018 :  09:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! And I hope your kids enjoyed their new clothes you made!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9464 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9464 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2018 :  11:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Catching up here. I hope everyone had a happy Christmas. Love hearing all the wonderful memories everyone has shared.
I remember my mom always made our clothes when we were young. She was a seasoned seamstress. She and dad both worked at a place where fabric was produced and she worked in the sewing room making ladies undergarments. One year I remember I wanted a vanity. There was one my sister had when she was young and my mom got out it out of wherever it had been stored and it got a fresh coat of white paint. It had two little arms that opened out in the front and she had taken some material that was white and gradually changed to pink with roses along the bottom and made a skirt the whole way around the vanity. So the arms opened so I could sit down to it and there was one little drawer in the middle front. It was waiting under the tree that year. I didn't think anyone could ever have anything as pretty as that vanity.
When we put it in my room, she hung a little mirror over it. I loved that little vanity though all I had on it was a brush,comb and a little basket of bath bubbles and little rose soaps. She has also decoupaged roses on the top of it. I'd give anything to know where that little vanity ended up.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 26 2018 11:47:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2018 :  2:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love that story Denise. Your mom was very talented too. I feel very blessed to have had a good mom, a very smart, resourceful one. Did you ever hear the saying "She could make a silk purse from a sow's(pig's) ear! " That was how women were.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9464 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9464 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2018 :  06:02:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Marilyn and mom worked hard to make things as nice as she could for us. She seemed to do that all her life even when things got better for them.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2018 :  08:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn - I think they did! I have the sweetest picture of Jenni opening her blanket I crocheted. I so wish my internet connection was strong enough to post pictures on here!!!

Denise - I love your story of your mom! What a special lady!!! I pray that one day my kids will look back and think sweetly on the memories of me! Most days I feel like a failure/disappointment, but the kids don't seem to mind too much, lol. They are still at the age where they think I'm wonderful and it melts my heart! Even my 15 yo is till at that point - I'm holding on to that as long as I can, as I've been told it won't last.

We ended up being sick over Christmas, in fact today is the first day I've started to feel human again. I actually made Christmas dinner last night, as it just wasn't happening Christmas day. We are snowing again today, so we are feeling extra warm and cozy in the house. My "OCD" is kicking in and I am desperately trying to get as much cleaned and organized as I can, though I know it won't stay like that for more than an hour, hahaha. If you guys ever visit, you will find my house a mess, and definitely "lived in." But oh the love that we share! I desire an organized house, as I feel almost claustrophobic in a messy house, but I treasure the fun, laughter, and love we share here!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2018 :  10:05:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, my house is messy too. I can no longer say it is because of my child or his children it is just us. My sewing at the kitchen table is a big thing. I'm working on that. But organizing my left over scrappy bits and pieces of fabric...It is time consuming! Plus I get side tracked! Then there are the interruptions. On Christmas eve my son lifted his right leg to get in his pickup...and his jeans ripped! They ripped from about an inch below the waist band down beside the zipper, all the way to his knee. He bought them in September. So this morning I had an interruption, calling the company, walking to his house to get photos, walking back and emailing all of that to them. And now...what was I supposed to do today???
I hope your family all feels better quickly.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Christmas is Coming!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page