Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Winter Wonderland~December 2018
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Winter Wonderland~December 2018 Next Topic
Page: of 9

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2018 :  7:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda and Denise I love your stories of the history of your homes.
Mrs. McMillin told me that when they were young they lived in a tiny shack of a house by our windmill. They lived there until her husband got this house built. I'm sure they thought of this house as a mansion of sorts after being stuck in the old house with three kids. They have a daughter older than me, a son my age and a younger daughter. Mr. McMillan remodeled houses and did repairs on houses. So when he cleaned up after he finished the work for his clients...he did not go to the dump ground, he came home and used the left overs here on the farm. My house has doors from many eras!! The old doors are way better than the hollow core doors from the lumberyard.
I admired them because they lived simp!y. They grew a large garden, canned a !it and did not go to the grocery store every week.
When I told my son he needed to find a place to keep his horses so he could feed them himself and his Colt could kick him instead of me each morning...they looked in the paper. When they came to see the place Wade called me. He told me that there was a little house behind the main house that Mr. McMillan used as his workshop...Then he said "Mom, it has a long cabinet top where you can spread out your fabric and paint those dresses you make." I had prayed every day for such a space. When I saw the little house I knew God had brought us here. For twenty years it was very quiet out here five miles from town...no more! Now city folks are buying new homes, some are building new homes further out. Soon our taxes will go up even more. Soon we will not be in the country. That is sad!
Now we hear sirens about once a week instead of once a year! Wade wants to move! We shall see! He actually has a couple of guys looking! Maybe I need to begin to clean out some of my clutter.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2018 :  7:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love all these stories about houses. My housing life went as follows: second floor of 2-flat in Chicago when I was born, house in Chicago suburb until I went to college and lived in a dorm. Then went to California where I had an apartmen;, got married, 2 more apartments, a house, lived in two rental houses in Nevada, moved back to the house, divorced and went to my parents for several month;, moved back to California into an apartment, got married for 2nd time and Moved to a house in Dallas, Texas; sold that house and built a new one, sold the house because my second husband died; bought another house in the same city, remarried again, bought a house in the country, and put first house on the market; third husband died, took other house off the market and moved back into it and sold the house in the country that we had never completely moved into; bought a house and acreage in east Texas as a vacation home and near my son and his family (the house I am in now); lived in both houses for a while, then sold the city house and moved completely to the farm, where I have been for 8 years. WHEW!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2018 :  8:54:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Linda you have had a busy life. I'm sorry that you have had to bury two husbands. I think you are blessed to have Ed now.I hope you can live to be old folks together.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2018 :  9:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That is definitely my hope, too, Marilyn. Ed is definitely the best.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2018 :  9:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tomorrow Ed and I and my 12 YO twin grandsons, Richard and Phillip, are going to volunteer for Toys for Tots in the warehouse. It says they need help sorting toys. This should be fun, and a great way to teach the boys how they can volunteer to give back to help others.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2018 :  03:19:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love all your stories - keep them coming.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9530 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9530 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2018 :  04:31:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having been in the military I won't list all the houses we've lived in but I will say it is nice to go back home and see that the house I was born and raised in is still there.
I always wished I could move back and buy it. It has been for sale. It has also been remodeled. I always loved going in the cellar when I was a kid. It had a dirt floor and so many interesting things had been put down there. Maybe that's when my love of junking began. Lol.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 05 2018 04:33:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2018 :  05:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They say (whoever they are) you can't go home again but I met a lady who did just that. She was in her early nineties when I met her by chance at a local jewelry store. A year later I went to the same church as she did so our friendship rekindled.

She had married as a young woman - moved away - after her husband died she moved back to Van Alstyne, TX and bought her parents old farm where she had grown up. She was well into her eighties by then. She turned the old garden spot into her flower garden. Garden clubs from the Dallas area came up to tour her gardens. They were something to see. Among the many flowers old china plates were on display. An afternoon with her was a joy for the soul. She kept a quest book for visitors to sign.

At 92 she married her 2nd grade sweetheart and last I heard he had passed away but she was still living on the farm.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2018 :  07:39:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great story Sara.
Linda, that is good that you are helping your grandsons learn about giving back, helping others. At North Garland High School...when my niece and nephew were students there, one of their electives that they were required to take was all about volunteering helping others. I remember that one semester my nephew was at a nursing home.
When the girls were four and seven they got dressed up in their red Christmas dresses I had made and put on their soft white jackets that I also made, and we went to the Fosters Home for Children to give them some dolls, etc for some of the children. Of course the ladies who greeted us were very complimentary about how the girls looked as well as the gifts. That made the girls feel good. They also got show off their glittery red Dorothy shoes.
Then we went to the local food pantry to deliver our three shoe boxes we had filled for Samaritans Purse. A couple of years later our church began filling boxes. The girls helped there too. When Bay was three her preschool asked the kids to fill a box. That was when we first learned of it. I was surprised recently when my sister told me that she and her hubby had gone to a neighbors house to help fill boxes...she did not know people did things like that or about Samaritans Purse! She is about to turn 73!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 05 2018 07:43:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9530 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9530 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2018 :  11:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My girls came over today and we finished decorating the tree and house. I can't believe all the cleaning done and decorating we did. What a blessing their help has been to me. I'm so very grateful.

That is an awesome story Sara. I love it. You never know what you can do or how it will bless others. (Her gardens)

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 05 2018 11:18:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristina72
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Kristi
Cordova Tennessee
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2018 :  12:22:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pull out my down duvet for the master bedroom. I love the crinkle noise it makes when you move around. I also bring out throws for the chairs. I tend to get chilled easily and always love a blanket when I'm reading. Time to make Gluhwein, hot chocolate and plenty of hot tea. These all mean winter is here, to me.

Make Today Count (MTC) :-)

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9530 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9530 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2018 :  1:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay Kristi, I guess you will have to explain Gluhwein to me. I don't know what that is.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6075 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6075 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2018 :  3:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Day everyone.

Hugs just

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2018 :  4:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here’s a picture of us at the Toys for Tots warehouse in Dallas today.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2018 :  5:52:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda!! Aww so cute picture! I love that sweat shirt!! Looks familiar!!we may get snow saturday.so cold here high 40 all week. Hugs! Connie
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2018 :  6:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Connie. I told you I wear my Christmas sweatshirt all through the Christmas season.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2018 :  7:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How neat, Linda. Did Ed and the twins enjoy the day?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2018 :  7:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kristi, what is Gluhwein???

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2018 :  06:05:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda great pic of you all and great job for helping out Toys for Tots. Fine looking grandsons!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2018 :  06:26:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I placed my first home delivery order today. Schedule delivery time 10-11a.m. Test run - hoping I am pleased. I like that I could give instructions - like I wanted large leeks and firm - not too ripe bananas. Also you can choose a replacement item if out of stock or choose not to replace. When I made out my shopping list I reminded myself someone would be going around the store choosing my items so I could tell them what to look for as to size - condition. Next week it will be easier now that I know what to do.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2018 :  08:30:11 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We did a little of everything. First we had a lot of toys to sort by age and gender; the twins (who are 12) did very well at this working with us other volunteers. After the toys were all sorted, we taped up boxes for the next group of volunteers to fill the next day and the twins helped stack them. Then both twins helped the marines fold up the cardboard boxes from donated toys and load them into a panel truck that was completely filled with these boxes - quite a load. One of them helped move some wooden pallets with a portable hand-driven "fork lift". The twins got a little bored when available tasks slowed down, but all in all they did a great job. They both said they'd like to volunteer again. Many of the opportunities this year are already filled, but if we can get another time for 4 people available, we may do it again this year.

Many of the later volunteer opportunities require more loading and delivery type jobs, so they probably would not be jobs for 12 year olds.

I'm glad we introducecd them to volunteering this way.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9530 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9530 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2018 :  08:44:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara,
That's great they give you the options to be specific as to what you are looking for. I hope it works our well for you to use this service.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9530 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9530 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2018 :  08:46:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's wonderful that you introduced the twins to volunteering,
Linda . It also makes us feel good when we are doing something for others and it's obvious they enjoyed the experience with you. Making memories!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2018 :  09:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I had lunch in the oven while waiting on delivery. Now I have the energy to prep the fresh produce I bought instead of waiting until tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2018 :  09:43:18 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sara - You are so organized. I love it.

I'll have to check our Brookshires to see if they deliver - I have 3 within 15 miles of me. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Winter Wonderland~December 2018 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page