Page: of 6

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2018 :  05:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Morning, all! I'm very thankful to have all of you in my life.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2018 :  06:05:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had quite the weekend in Virginia helping my niece pack up and move her Mom to a places near her in Georgia. It was so sad to see my sister get confused and even ask me who I was. It broke my heart on one level but I was equally grateful that her daughter was taking charge and will be a good caregiver going forward. There are so many moments this past weekend that were both fun, joyful, and terribly sad. I am reminded that we have no promise of good health, no promise our minds will work as we age, and no promise that we will be able to continue our understandings of who we are.

However, I am constantly aware that when trouble strikes, hands reach out, hearts open up, wounds heal, and love pours outward. There is a wonderful Mr. Rogers show where he was talking about when trouble strikes and everything looks hopeless. Mr. Rogers tells that his mother told him, when devastation strikes, look for the helpers. There are always people out helping and trying to give the victims comfort. In my life, I have seen that happen to others and myself. Mother Theresa said that our giving and helping hands are the outward expression of Christ. We are the ones called at the moment to reach out and help and comfort others .

Our own Thanksgiving is a reminder that the local Indians helped settlers learn to grow foods that were natural to the area. PLus they were willing to share and make a peace with these newcomers to the shores of North America.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2018 :  07:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
Thank you for sharing your special time with your sister and niece and also those encouraging words. You just never know when something we say or do will help others on the way.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2018 :  1:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie I'm so sorry about your sister. That was very hard for my DIL, when her mom no longer knew her or her girls, several years ago. They still have grandma. I told Julie recently that her mom may out live us all. They take good care of her and she eats well...although she prefers sweets. She mostly sleeps in the rocker all day long. When I go there the little dogs bark loudly, the door closes, I holler at Hadlee...and her Grandma sleeps through it all. The girls take turns caring for Grandma and they are paid a bit to do it. They are keeping her alive. Julie even said that if she had stayed at her sisters house she would have been gone before now. I'm glad your niece can see after her mom. God bless you Winnie.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2018 :  1:54:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, your new title sounds interesting. Rose Rustlers...I have been known to rustle a few roses.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2018 :  2:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I made Turtle Pie for Sunday dinner dessert. Hadlee loves dessert and was the first to try it. She and her mom had commented on it the whole time we were eating.
Bapa got the second piece then I had one. It was delicious. Bapa has already eaten two regular pumpkin pies this season. Julie finally tried it. I was afraid she would not since Bapa was not a fan. Julie could not stop raving about how good it was. I said perhaps it is a lady pie. Then my son decided to try a tiny piece, then another. He said that is GOOD. So as it turned out they went home with half of our turtle pie...my son said he intended to eat a piece before bed time. Julie thought she would have a piece with her morning coffee.
So it was a success. .. Thank you for sharing your delicious recipe.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 20 2018 2:30:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2018 :  2:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your welcome. So glad they all liked it. Did you ever share your Texas cornbread stuffing recipe on the recipe thread?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2018 :  4:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, your so right! The early settlers sacrificed a lot along the way the way for the Blessings we have today!
Farmgirl Hugs! Happy Thanksgiving!

Lily June ask me why I was cooking today if we were not eating today! LOL! She ask for Pumpkin Pie all day! Pops is bringing it home with him and he still is not home from work. He stopped to do my last list from the store, I'm sure it's crazy!! I got most all my list on Friday.

Connie
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2018 :  5:01:44 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Winnie - I'm glad your weekend had some good times. I know how unsettling it can be when someone you know no longer knows who you are. It is nice that your niece is moving her mother closer to her and will be able to see her more often.

Denise and Marilyn - Is the turtle pie recipe in one of our threads? I can't find it. Please let me know where it is posted; otherwise, please send it to me. It sounds super delicious.
Thanks!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Nov 20 2018 5:09:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2018 :  05:03:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I am excited to hear that Pearl is going to share what she has been up with lately!! On a separate note, I know my Mom always said she feared the loss of her memory the most. Thankfully, she had some memory loss but was most effected by extensive heart disease.

Last night my niece sent us an update and my sister had been so confused all day long. Even though she has been to my niece's house many times to spend time with her Grandsons, it is all mixed up now in her mind. All I can think to do is just pray now that each day will settle down and her mind will adjust as the staff at the place and her own personal belongings there begin to help her feel a new sense of place. My niece has been reassuring her that she is safe and all is going to work out. Bless Her!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2018 :  09:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On no. I forgot to share my recipe!
I bake two pans of cornbread.
Next I cut up celery and onions. This year I cut up the hearts and leaves from three celery stalks. (We use a lot of celery this time of year because I stuff it with cheesy goodness that my family loves.)
After the celery is cut up as well as two large onions, I put it all in a saucepan with a stick of butter, turn the burner to medium and saute. Then I add a can of chicken broth, cover and simmer. After half an hour remove from the heat, allow to cool and refrigerate overnight.
To assemble: crumble the cornbread in a large pot or bowl. Add some light bread or hamburger buns or something. Just three buns is plenty. Tear them up into bits.
Now add the celery that you have reheated. Also add a can of cream of chicken soup and a can of mushroom soup.( If you cook a turkey and have drippings use those...the reason I use soups is because Julie cooks the turkey breasts or whole bird. So I don't have any drippings.).
Stir all of that up then break 6 or 8 eggs, and beat with a fork, add to the dressing and mix in well. Now for the seasonings...I use both sage and poultry seasonings. I can't tell you an exact measurement because I start with a jar lid full of each, stir it in, then I adjust after my taste tester tells me what else I need to add. My husband is the taste tester. I may need a bit more salt, more poultry seasoning, a bit more sage and some black pepper. I always add garlic powder, just about 1/2 teaspoon.
Now my mother always said the dressing should be loose when it goes into the oven because baking it dries it out. True. So if you think you need more liquid add more chicken broth or just a bit of water.
I am very careful with sage, because my mother in law once used so much sage, her dressing was green. Yuck!
I butter my Pyrex dishes and scoop in the dressing mixture. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes up to an hour. Just watch it. I
I'm a dump and pour cook. I adjust seasonings as I go.
This is the thing I taught Julie long ago. To bake a turkey or turkey breasts, first make a bed of celery, full length pieces, and alternate with carrots. This makes a nice raft for your bird to rest upon. Then add these fruits to the cavity of a whole bird or around a couple of breasts...an apple, an orange and a grapefruit! Do not peel, but do cut the fruits up into quarters.
The purpose of the fruit is to make the turkey moist. Does the turkey taste fruity...NO! Just moist and yummy. Cover the bird with a tent of foil or a heavy brown grocery bag after rubbing down with butter or olive oil or??? And seasoning his outter skin. (Or you can use a turkey sized oven bag.)
About 20 minutes before the cooking time is over, remove the tent, so your big boy can get his sun tan. If you have a convection oven it will come in handy here.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 21 2018 09:47:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2018 :  09:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I believe your sister will soon settle in and adjust to her new home. Please encourage her daughter not to go get her to take her out to lunch etc. My own DIL and her sister used to take their mom to lunch once a month, but she was so confused they decided, about a year ago, to stop causing her so much trauma. Now she seems ok. Recently my son took his family on a long weekend mini vacation. Julie took her mom to her sisters. As soon as they returned she brought her mom home. It has taken her about two weeks to get back to eating, etc.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2018 :  1:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda I started a recipes thread and posted the recipe there. Just finished mine and two pumpkin pies in the oven now.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2018 :  1:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn I posted your recipe in the Recipe thread so it is easier to find.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2018 :  10:40:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So today is my day for putti g away my fall decor. I'll miss it but I want to clean before bringing out the Christmas things. I have lots of nativities and hoping I have a place for each of them.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6078 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6078 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2018 :  5:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sound like it is going to be bei Denise.

Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2018 :  05:48:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been working on a few easy knitted pieces for gifts here and there. Plus, I have been catching up on some reading and finishing a couple of books that I started. My little pile of books to read keep calling my attention . So many interesting reads and I have to carve out time to make that happen! I love a good book!@!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2018 :  06:32:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My goal today is to decorate the naked live tree standing in my living room. It has been drinking water for a week. We decided to get one when they first arrived, so it could be in water and not get all dried out at the tree lot. My family has decided it is time. Julie said they decorated theirs Friday. I need to get busy! Today is a less painful day...so I must get to work. Have a blessed day everyone.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2018 :  4:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today my dd and gd came over to help me and motivate to get some things done. I am so much better when I have someone to talk to when working in the house. I don't care if they help I just need them to be around. I guess I am not very well self disciplined when it comes to things like that. We got the two front rooms cleaned and situated for Christmas decor. I haven't put it out yet but I want to get everything cleaned up first. We have some odds and ends things that need to be fixed in the house so I am going to see if I can get JT to do them for me this weekend. I'd like to get everything in order before Christmas company. I have my gifts all done and mostly wrapped so that is out of the way and I can move on to enjoying the other preparations.
I took the girls for lunch after and we had fun there too!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Nov 27 2018 4:48:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2018 :  6:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I dread the wrapping. My house needs help too.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2018 :  6:21:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wrap as soon as they are ready. We have a few birthdays thrown in the December mix, but I already took my Ohio grands theirs and my son is Monday so I need to get his finished and wrapped.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Nov 27 2018 6:22:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2018 :  7:19:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you made your gifts, Denise?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2018 :  03:48:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few of them Marilyn.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2018 :  06:46:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's 44 now - by 10 should be in the low 50s and I will be out in my Yellow Rose Cottage canning dried beans. I'll have to dress to keep warm so I have jeans on under my maxi dress and flannel shirt. When I actually go out there I may have to put on a jacket. Having to be all bundled up struck me funny then I thought of Tasha Tudor and her layers of clothes and red flannel petticoats. Tasha was a FarmGirl at heart, and like her us FarmGirls have to do what we have to, to do what we want to do. lol

Have you ever thought about how women we have never met and know of only through their work and words have had such an influence on our lives?

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2018 :  10:20:52 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My house definitely needs help. I have been so busy making stockings to put in the little shop that I still have to make a few Christmas gifts. I'm not making as many this year as in the past. I have a few bought and a few yet to make. I'd like to get a Christmas shirt made for Ed - I have fabric for 3 with red trucks and Trees. Have had it for several years, s MAYbe this year I will make at least one of them. LOL!

Sara - I agree, there are many women we have never met except on paper who have influenced our lives.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Thankful November~2018 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page