YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2018 :  10:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have faith in you Linda. Ed will have a new Christmas shirt this year.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2018 :  1:49:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I have been known to be at my sewing machine, finishing up gifts on Christmas eve. Not this year! ( I hope)
Sara it was cold here until way past noon. The South wind in winter is every bit as cold as the North wind at times. I usually wear long skirts made of fleece and a pull over top as well. When it is really windy and cold I may put on long undies too! When I was teaching many of my dresses were made of flannel. Not as warm as fleece, but some pretty plaid and prints, and inside an evenly heated building they were great. I did not need a sweater too.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2018 :  2:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn your fleece skirts sound so comfy and warm. I've never had a flannel dress but I do love a soft flannel over-sized shirt and granny gowns. Years ago when I was going to estate sales I found a large man's long white flannel nightshirt. For years I wore it until it was threadbare then it made the best dusting cloths. ... twas winter's eve and all were warm in flannel and fleece.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2018 :  3:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to have a flannel dress I wore. It got fairly thin after awhile. I wore Cuddle Duds underneath it. Nice and toasty.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Nov 28 2018 4:10:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2018 :  3:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks,Sara. I sure hope I get his shirt done.

And Marilyn, I have been sewing/finishing on Christmas Eve, too. lol. Not unusual.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2018 :  4:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True, I love my warmie clothes!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2018 :  03:43:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fifty-five this morning ~~~ 11 degrees warmer than yesterday so I won't have to bundle up so much to can. Already have been out to the cottage to set things up so around 8-9 I can get to work canning. Must say I did enjoy our little chit-chat about flannel and fleece. Does the soul good sometimes just to let the conversation take us where it wants to go.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2018 :  04:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wind finally quit though it is still breezy and a cold one at that.

Took a picture of my Christmas cactus. It is the first time it has bloomed in 5 years or more. When I first got it, it bloomed at Christmas and then the next year it it didn't bloom until valentine's and then again at St. Patrick's day. The following year it was thanksgiving and then not again for those 5 or 6 yrs until now. I had almost given up hope it would ever bloom again. There are loads of little buds still coming on so I'm hopeful it will still be blooming at Christmas.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Nov 29 2018 04:11:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2018 :  05:04:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I love those Christmas Cactus too! They are beautiful and now in many colors. I had one many years ago that grew huge and bloomed every year. They can be hard to keep going but smaller shoots seem to root and do well. With all of our warm weather down here, these cactus do very well. Enjoy this faithful beauty over the holiday season!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2018 :  06:32:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Christmas Cactus too! I need to purchase a new one. The ones I babied are long since gone now, victims of the ice storm that collapsed my green house several years ago. When the kids were little, I hung mine in trees in the front yard, watering each of them a couple of times each week, during those summer months. They became thick and large, quite heavy. But the reward was pure beauty in November. Denise I have always wondered why they are called Christmas Cactus...they don't usually bloom at Christmas and I've never seen a sticker or thorn on one of them.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 29 2018 06:33:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2018 :  06:39:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
I don't know why they call them Christmas cactus. I always think of the pilot movie of the Waltons. The one with Patricia O'Neal. She has one that is down in the cellar and she brings it up at Christmas time and it is all in bloom. I know they say they need dark. I have never put mine in the basement. I never have really looked up how you are supposed to take care of them. I probably should.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Nov 29 2018 06:42:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2018 :  06:42:50 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have never had a Christmas Catcus - we travel so much I'd probably kill it with neglect when we were gone. They are so pretty. I wouldn't have thought of hanging it in a tree, Marilyn.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2018 :  06:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,
They take so little care. In fact they say you shouldn't water them much. I water when it looks to too dry or starts to droop.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2018 :  06:45:57 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm - If I find one maybe I will get it.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6078 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6078 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2018 :  12:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one of the Christmas cactus and it gets water when I remember it and it grows beautifully. We have a lot of humidity though. It is pretty old.
Have a great day.

hugs and love

darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2018 :  12:49:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I did not know about their need for darkness, poinsettias that survive must have a period of dark in order to bloom again. That is another ???? Because I've been told that in certain parts of Mexico they grow in the medians of highways.
We had some low branches on some of our oak trees,Linda, and since the kids wanted to be outside playing every day, I decided my house plants could go out and play too. So my Christmas Cactus got very hot temperatures as dappled shade. One year we even had two cardinal nests and a wren nest...all were so low. Bay could easily peer in but we had to get a chair for Had. I think she was three that summer.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2018 :  1:02:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know it for sure Marilyn. I just remember her bringing it out of the cellar all in bloom. Poinsettias grow outside in Florida. When my mom and dad were living and there they had one outside their front door.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  01:27:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm up in the middle of the night again. Hope to go back to bed soon. Did accomplish one thing while up - ordered electric heater for cottage so I can be out there on cold days. Should get it Monday so plan on canning on Tues.

Today is my twin sisters birthday. They'll be 75. I know I am getting older but it's hard to believe my younger sisters are too. My older sister will be 79 in August. We're all inching our way to the big 80. One thing I have learned about aging - it's not easy but can be exciting.

Dec 1 is not only Betty & Bobbie's birthday but Hannah's too. Hannah was my great-niece we lost when she was 9 because of liver cancer. She was my oldest sister's grand-daughter.

My great-niece and nephews (the triplets) London, Gentry, and Olive are five today. They are Betty's grandchildren so they share the day with their great-grand mother.

Edited by - YellowRose on Dec 01 2018 01:37:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  03:41:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of celebrations this month Sara. So sad about your great niece though. So very difficult when a young passes first. It is so sweet the little ones share their birthday with their grandmother. My husband who was his grandmother's first grandchild was born on her birthday. It was always so special to them. Happy birthday to your sisters! Do you get to go see them today?

I had the terrible idea to drink coffee in the evening last night so I am running on 5 1/2hrs sleep today.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 01 2018 03:43:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  05:21:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At midnight I was outside trying to figure out where all the noise was coming from. My husband thought the music was coming from the barn, and he could not go to sleep. However when I got out in our lane I knew someone was having a party...a big loud party with a guy singing and a band. It was more like an ooom papa sound, not country western like is normal around here. But the good news...by 12:15am they stopped. People think that if they live in the country no one will hear their noise...but on a cool night sound carries. They were over a mi!e away perhaps two of more miles, crazy!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  05:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn I won't see them today but I've already given them their birthday present. Martha Stewart's Cookie Book. They like to bake so both were happy with theirs.

Talking about books reminded me to ask. How to get rid of the musty dusty smell of old books? My sister Bobbie has cookbooks from the 1960s when she got married. She has a keen smell when it comes to mold and dust. She told me she has stopped using her old cookbooks because they make her cough. Any ideas on what to do? It's a big problem for her because she has bronchitis several times a year and a reoccurring deep cough.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  05:50:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing I have found to take strong smells out of books is baking soda sprinkled throughout the pages and put the book in an airtight bag. I did it with some work baskets magazines I had gotten and the smelled of cigarette smoke. It took months to get it out but it did work.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  05:53:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Denise, I'll tell her.

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6078 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6078 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  07:25:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ave some musty books I will have to try that. I have tried using dryer sheets that works too.

Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2018 :  07:56:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, ask your sister if she uses essential oils. If not ask her to buy a diffuser and some Breath Easy essential oil. It has saved me from the doctor for the past two winters. You can get some from the vitamin isle at walmart, but I prefer the one I order from Piping Rock online. It is amazing. I usually run my diffuser night and day throughout the winter months.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 01 2018 1:09:09 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Thankful November~2018 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page