Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 October Sunshine and Falling leaves ~2018
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic October Sunshine and Falling leaves ~2018 Next Topic
Page: of 5

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2018 :  05:17:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, here is the verdict for last night's pumpkin flour in my buttermilk biscuits. First of all, the flour has a definitive flavor and it is heavier in how it works. The package states that it does not absorb liquid as well as other flours too. When I put the recipe together, I used 1/4 pumpkin flour to 3/4 regular flour. The results were disappointing to me. The flavor of the pumpkin flour was strong and it also made the biscuits crumbly. The flour package has a website for recipe tips :
www.LIVEGLEAN.COM if you wish to look for yourself. I had a much better result making pumpkin biscuits when I used cooked pumpkin meat with with pumpkin pie spice. I am going to look at the website again and see other ideas to try. It seems like a great product but I think it will have to be used in specific amounts and other compensations have to be made for a successful product. I have had similar issues when trying to grind and use Buckwheat flour when I had my grain grinder. Many of these flours have no gluten so they behave differently when you use them.

Denise, I saw those same cereals myself this week when I went to the grocery store. I almost bought all of them!!

The latest hurricane news looks like it is going to hit Florida as a category 4 around the Panama City area. This is a wide storm so if it wiggles to the right, we will get more of the outer bands of wind and rain. Landfall is scheduled about 2 pm today so this afternoon will tell the story. The storm is so powerful that there are fears that it will alter the Florida coast forever and devastate communities. Please pray for these Floridians as they hunker down and wait for this terrible storm to smash into land. It is very sad and scary what is happening!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2018 :  05:40:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is so sad when an area is hit so hard by any storm. I just read a Facebook post by a friend who had gone to the beaches on the coast there. She said they had a choice to go home early or into a shelter. They started home.
I love pumpkin bread but don't want it crumbly! I wonder if it would make good crackers?

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Oct 10 2018 05:41:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2018 :  06:11:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
I agree on the gluten and the way it changes a recipe. It is very difficult to use it in recipes that are not specific to that type of flour. I have never used gluten free as I don't have issues with it. I am going to check out that website. Thank you for sharing it.

I have been watching that Hurricane and praying it will weaken as the one did that hit Carolina. I think it was a category one by the time they got it. Though the rain and wind can definitely do damage and make a real mess of things. Prayers for all those affected. Hopefully this will be the end of the hurricanes for the year.

Sure will be glad when October turns into real fall with cooler temps. 80's today with the heat index in the 90's. So anxious for fall before the winter comes. May have to wait till November. Back home we used to have snow on Halloween. We actually had fall in September. When we went to NY two weekends ago it was just starting to really get fall temps. Maybe that is why I miss home so much. I need FOUR seasons. LOL

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2018 :  08:09:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were in the fifties over night and have beautiful blue skies and sunshine with temps in the mid 70s today. Wow it is so nice.
Denise are you warm because of the jet stream?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6078 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6078 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2018 :  08:21:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie your baking sound interesting but for me I guess I will continue with the pumpkin meat.real flavor., but I will watch and see how it goes for you.
Oh yes I have a package to mail to you, should I wait until this Monster storm is over?
Let me know and please keep safe, you are all in my prayers.

Hugs and love.
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2018 :  12:18:58 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It's been in the 60s and 70s here in Albuquerque, and in the 40s at night. very nice temperatures. A little rain and winds have kept the balloons on the ground several mornings.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2018 :  07:10:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you all for your thoughts and prayers during Hurricane Michael. I posted on the prayers link here that we were spared. But two hours west of us, our friend was hit pretty bad when we spoke with him last night.

Linda, you trip weather sounds perfect! WE visited Albuquerque and other places in NM a few years ago and loved the gorgeous landscape and all the interesting history of the state. If you have a chance, Carlsbad Caverns is awesome to visit.

Our local weather says that Friday night will get down to 57 but daytime temps are still up close to 90 so I am not sure that will happen. We shall see!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2018 :  12:01:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at my little Farmgirl! She loves Sheep like her Ganny! Her and her Mommy went to the Pink Palace Crafts Fair yesterday! It's the big one in our area, with real crafters working while you watch. Perfect weather 68 and sunny!! I wanted to go but was on my feet 9 hours the day before and my ankle just would not go another step without some rest!

Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Oct 13 2018 12:01:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2018 :  12:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So cute Connie!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2018 :  12:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Denise, I wanted to go so bad.
I am helping Holly move small things to another house. I knew I could not do both. Her dad is moving the big stuff
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2018 :  3:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will they live closer to you now, Connie? Rest dear friend! God bless you!
The sheep...Lily June has grown so much, having them eat from your hand...beautiful memories.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Oct 13 2018 3:58:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2018 :  3:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great that you can help just have to rest now!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2018 :  5:04:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie are you ready...it is supposed to be 81 here tomorrow...dropping to 39 with a nice north wind that we refer to as a Norther! Temps in the low 40s through Tuesday. The remainder of the week is only in the 50s w.with the possibility of rain all week long. Autumn has arrived, for sure!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2018 :  8:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yesteray when we got to the Dallas area the rains were terrible and we were driving on I20 - the semi trucks were in lanes they weren't supposed to be, people were driving crzy and you could barely see the lane lines. I am glad Ed was driving.

Today we had some more heavy rains - my pond is full and Ed's 2 ponds are both full. And that is good!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2018 :  06:17:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,
That can be scary riding and driving. Thankfully you arrived safely.
Rain in the ponds are a good thing!
We are having rain here in OH today. Enjoying grands time. I am surprised I can keep up but so far so good! LOL!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Oct 14 2018 06:18:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2018 :  08:02:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a little cool front bring us Morning temps in the mid 50s and less humidity. Today, however, we are back up to the 90s and humid for the rest of the week. I did enjoy sitting on the porch both mornings early to get the full benefit of the coolness before we still climbed up into the upper 80s by afternoon. I was even able to keep the windows open both nights but the AC goes back on this afternoon when the heat returns.

We had what we call a Fall tease this weekend!, LOL!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6078 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6078 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2018 :  3:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a heavy fog this morning and it was hard to see a car in front while driving and then I got to Ferndale and the sun was shining, I haven’t seen it that bad in a long time. The sun stayed out.

Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2018 :  3:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Has been nice all day today - so far. Tonight storms are predicted to last through Tuesday or Wednesday. We need the rain - good sewing weather.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9531 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9531 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2018 :  4:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone here is in full fall mode! I think back home it is hard to get there with warm temps.and all. Kids are having a great time decorating for it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2018 :  6:53:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda how cold are they predicting it will be for y'all in the morning?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2018 :  6:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think 65 tonight and all day tomorrow.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2018 :  6:58:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene I'm glad you got to Ferndale safely.
Winnie maybe you need to relocate! The weather is so crazy everywhere right now!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2018 :  7:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Those heavy morning fogs are really bad, Darlene. Friday morning we were in some fogs like that when in New Mexico. So glad you drove safely and made it

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2018 :  8:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We woke up to snow this morning. It was 28 last night. It snowed lightly until everything was white. By late afternoon it was all gone. Argh, not really ready for winter yet.
So sorry for all who are affected by the Hurricanes.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2018 :  4:05:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda was it really 65° at your house all day long??

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic October Sunshine and Falling leaves ~2018 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page