Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Apple Picking Time ~ September 2018
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Apple Picking Time ~ September 2018 Next Topic
Page: of 2

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2018 :  4:11:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I'd start our September thread. I know it is another day yet but tomorrow seems to already be full. I didn't want to be late welcoming the start of our Fall months!

Hope everyone is ready for it. I know I am.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2018 :  2:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Denise, let's kick off September and also our Apple Festival here at MJF!!! I just posted an apple themed swap and a giveaway from MaryJane on the main Forum. I hope our HenHouse members will also join in the fun!!

This weekend, I have been pulling out my fall decor as I have some free time. I was so ready to spend time with some of my decorations that I have had for years, some gifts from past Farmgirl swaps, and a couple of new items I added this year. For me, it offers the same fun that bringing out the Christmas tree ornaments do. It is sort of like visiting with old friends again!!! Of course it is 90+ degrees here today, we had a little rain storm pass, and there are no changes in any 10 day forecasts except a possible Tropical Storm arrival!! LOL!!

Despite all the weather woes, the first football game of the University of Florida is tonight at 7:30p and the city is going to be watching with a new coach to lead the way. You can't erase the excitement of a new football season here in the South!! Even for people like me who don't even really understand the game!!! LOL!!!!

Is anyone else bringing out some decorations or starting off the fall season with a favorite tradition? I have a pot of Brunswick stew simmering on the stove and I am getting read to make pumpkin buttermilk biscuits to go with it. I am using a sweet potato biscuit recipe and substituting with fresh roasted Seminole pumpkin meat. I think it will be good. I will let you know how it turns out!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2018 :  4:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi gals, Long time, no post :(! Life has been very busy, but trying to catch up tonight!
Winnie, Thanks for the sweet postcard. I have been to Merciers, last Friday to be exact, got a bag of apples, made Apple Crisp, ate the rest, need to go back, but not till next Tuesday when all the tourist have left town :)! Didn't get any fried pies! My favorite from there is Apricot, then Lemon! I am wanting to make something Pumpkin. Saw a recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookies, sounds interesting, might do that tomorrow! Happy September 1st (Yay, I made it through August)!!!!!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2018 :  4:41:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ruth, I know you enjoyed those delicious Mercier Orchard apples that you got !! Apple crisp is always a favorite of mine too. Plus it is easy to put together n a hurry and usually loved by everyone. Thanks be to God, that all of us here in the South survived August!! What a hot and humid time we have had this Summer!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2018 :  6:43:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ruth, sounds like you are getting into the Apple swing of things there. I am going to stop tomorrow at our local place and get some apples. Can't wait to make some Apple crisp and Apple strudel!

Winnie, it has definitely been hot and humid here too. I for one am done with summer.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 01 2018 6:44:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2018 :  9:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Winnie for the apple post card. It's on the fridge. It was hot and humid here today too. Our ten day state fair enda on Labor Day. Back to school for the kids too. Fall is showing up here little by little. Birds are beginning to migrate, trees are just beginning to turn. I love fall and apples. We have a new kind of Apple here. I'll let you know more about it soon.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2018 :  11:05:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohhh, Bonnie, you say a new variety of apple up your way??? Yes, please let us know more when you find them and give them a try. I am always curious about new apple varieties. Apples are so popular these days and people are seeking and interested in new types. Apple grafting fascinates me and I am guessing that the combinations of varieties is pretty large. This Summer I discovered Envy and Pizazz apples in the store from New Zealand. The Envy ones are quite good and flavorful. I am wondering if we will see that variety coming from our US orchards in the near future?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2018 :  11:54:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I am doing the same thing. I feel the same way about my decorations! holds memories so dear!! I always turn over the back to see who made them!

Yes! Thank the Lord, we survived the Heat!! I make my Fall veggie soup(its my daughter, Holly's favorite, she says it cures everything) and cornbread and apple cobbler as soon as it cools off to heat up the oven!!

I just saw Apple Pie Jam at my little farm stand today! Going to try it out!

Hugs! Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Sep 03 2018 11:56:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2018 :  4:43:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today,it was raining AGAIN as Tropical Storm Gordon is dumping buckets in Tampa, Fl. just 2 hours South of us. So, I pulled out the fall decorations and had at it!! I love getting everything out because it is like visiting with friends again. Kinda like Christmas tree ornaments! It will be awhile before the pumpkins make it this far south from the north so I will be looking forward to their arrival for sure.

There is always something wonderful when I see a grinning pumpkin with a little light inside! I am not sure why I love that so, but I do. It just feels like a bit of whimsy, simplicity, and happiness all wrapped together in an orange orb!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2018 :  10:18:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I just love the Apple post card that I received from you. Thank you!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2018 :  11:04:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought this was such a cute fall photo depicting back to school.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2018 :  09:44:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have been seeing a lot of fall photos around the internet and thought I'd share a couple to help get us in the mood! Though I'm sure most of us are ready for some fall weather. I have seen plenty of pumpkins out but our local farm markets only have ginger gold apples right now. I've been thinking about a few recipes to try. I have hardly seen anything apple themed around yet.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 06 2018 09:46:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2018 :  07:01:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, this poem just sent chills up my arms!! It is so beautiful and I love your collage of photos with it!! Just a perfect summary of September, I think!!

Last weekend a local grocery store had some Ginger Golds that they brought down from up north and I really enjoyed the ones I purchased. Some I cooked , some I made into a raw salad, and one is left. I found them tart and juicy with a good flavor. Give them a try with your recipe ideas and let us know what you think. Here is my photo of Ginger Golds baked in an apple baker this past week. I bake mine until they are just slightly soft so that when you slice them in the bowl, they hold up firm but still cooked. SOOOOOOO GOOOD!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2018 :  07:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
We loved baked apples. I'm still working on the peaches I've been getting. They are so good!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2018 :  09:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, Oh I love that picture!! Reminds me of my school years form 1st to 6th grade. All of us neighborhood kids walked to school in all weathers!

Winnie, love your Poem and picture! and yummy! Love your apple Dishes!!

A few trees in my front yard have a tinge of Gold way at the top!! every once in a while a few float to the ground!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2018 :  3:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Already Connie? I'll have to check our tree out back it is always the first to change and lose its leaves.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6078 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6078 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2018 :  8:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just love all your fall and apple pictures they are so enjoyable to see, There aren’t many apple things here to find in the stores or at least what I can get to right now, I have looked hard, so disappointing, I just will enjoy all your pictures. Keep putting them up. Please.

Love you all.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2018 :  5:05:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, I have been having trouble find apple related items too.
Hoping to look around this week and see if there is anything out there yet.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2018 :  10:09:09 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ed and I returned from our Alaska cruise tonight. Had a wonderful time. Weather was perfect. Saw glaciers, bears, eagles, humpback whales, orcas, otters, a moose (yes, only one), some goats (way in the distance). Nice cooler weather, though everyone said it was unusually perfect weather. Sunny most days - slight rain omly one day. We had some very rough seas on the way from Long Beach to Vancouver, but after that it was perfect.

I have several apple items around. I will look at the swap and see if I have time to participate. We are already planning to book another cruise or two in the next few months. We are also planning to go to the Albuquerque Balloon Festival in early October - hopefully this will happen as planned. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Sep 08 2018 10:11:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2018 :  04:04:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda sounds like you have had a great trip. Nice that you enjoyed some great weather too!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2018 :  04:15:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heading to the shore today with JT. He has a meeting and then we will hit the beach for our one and only trip there this year. We have just been so busy we haven't had a chance to get there and last night he told me he was heading that way and would I go with him. So taking the day and heading for the ocean. Hoping for some sunshine while we are there.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 11 2018 04:16:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2018 :  07:27:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie - thank you so much for the apple postcard! Brad saw it and didn't realize it was a postcard from you, and got all excited thinking there was a pick-your-own apple orchard around here, lol

Denise - enjoy your day at the ocean. Hopefully the waves aren't too stirred up yet!

Been super super busy here. We got 8 bushels - yup about 400 pounds - of peaches last month that I put up. I felt like I was swimming in peaches, but they will taste wonderful this winter! This weekend I'm headed on a ladies retreat with the church we are attending. I'm so excited, yet this is the first time I've left my children in a really really long time!!! I'm thinking it will really help me recharge though!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2018 :  10:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoy your day at the sore, Denise!

Shannon, so good to hear from you and I am glad you all are doing well!! Enjoy the ladies retreat with your church. I am sure you will find it fun and a blessing.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2018 :  12:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a great day! Didn't go into the ocean. Was quite foggy and a lot of the beach is eroded away. The water was high and very stirred up.We took a walk along the water then walked the boardwalk. Did a little shopping for birthdays and finished it off with lunch. Headed back and managed to beat the rain.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 11 2018 12:41:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2018 :  1:19:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise - sounds like a lovely day!!! How much rain are they expecting you to get from Florence? A lot of our friends are hunkering down for the storm!!! I was expecting more to leave!!!

Winnie - thank you sweet friend <3

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2018 :  2:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are getting rain today but it is coming from the west. I haven't heard anything for us yet. On the maps I've only seen it reaching Virginia but I'm sure we will get something by the weekend maybe.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Apple Picking Time ~ September 2018 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page