Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Staying in the shade~ July 2018
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Staying in the shade~ July 2018 Next Topic
Page: of 4

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2018 :  04:07:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here we are halfway through the year. I've already started working on Christmas gifts. We have lots of birthdays and a "birth" day coming before that so I am trying to get ahead.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2018 :  04:25:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise this month's title "staying in the shade" is right on the money - better still stay in with the A/C. There's yard work like picking up fallen twigs around the big oak tree to be done this morning. Waiting for it to be light enough I don't mistake a snake for a twig. I have a short period of time to work outside - enough light to watch out for snakes and before it's too hot for me.

Around 5a.m. I let Annie outside and the first thing she did was to eat a locust. I thought of John the Baptist who lived on locust and wild honey when he was in the wildness. Funny how things pop into one's head that early in the morning.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2018 :  04:43:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I'm an early bird so I like to get all my work done in the mornings. Then I can stitch or read or whatever on the porch when it gets too warm I head for the cool a.c.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2018 :  07:01:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, sadly down here, July won't look any different from this past June. We are getting upwards to 1-2 inches of rain everyday. It is like a Tropical forest around here and every day the weather is the same as the day before. With that, I am joining the AC living crowd because it is just too miserable and hot to be outside for any length of time. Even after it rains, it is humid and hot. The mosquitoes are also on the rise and ruin any thoughts of being outside in early morn or evening.

To keep myself occupied, I have a stack of books I am reading and hatching some easy to make items to do as soon as my hand heals up.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2018 :  07:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie I would gladly take some of your rain. We have high humidity without getting the needed rain.

Annie and I sat on the sideporch around seven and it was already 80 with 76% humidity so I did not work in the yard. Been cleaning and straitening up the kitchen instead. Have decided to call the handyman and let him do the backyard. There's always fallen branches and twigs not to mention leaves from the big oak tree. It covers half of my backyard so keeping it picked up is a big chore.

Been thinking about finishing my story "The Rose Rustlers". It's been months since I worked on it so to refresh my memory I will start with the first chapter and see what I can do to make it better. By the time I finish re-working the chapters I have written I should know what I want to happen next.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2018 :  08:12:49 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It is going to be hot hot hot here, Sara.

Ed and I will be out running around picking up things to work on to-do projects. The MAJOR projects are redoing Ed's house bathroom and kitchen COMPLETELY. One of his sons is going to live in it a while starting in August to save some money, but it needs to be at least partially updated first. I guess this is one way to light a fire under Ed. LOL!

Minor projects - buy and install screen doors on my back door and his front door, organize our garages to sort out garage sale stuff and have 2 garage sales, take our wedding rings into the jeweler for their 6-month check ups, go to the bank to pay off my car (YIPPEE! No more interest and car payments).

Since Ed is retired, we are going to start living as much as possible on our SS monthly payments and save as much as we can for travel and other interests. Getting rid of this high car payment will definitely help. I'm using my 70-1/2 mandatory withdrawal to pay the car off. If it was at 0% interest, it wouldn't be bad, but the Honda CRV is such a popular car, they hardly ever offer that any more.

Stay cool everyone.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2018 :  08:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda that picture is a hoot!!!!! A picture is worth a 1000 words and that picture speaks truth to power. Stay cool my friend.

The squirrels are safe today. Annie goes outside does her business and is at the backdoor wanting in within ten minutes. It's not just us FarmGirls who appreciate A/C.

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6080 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6080 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2018 :  12:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the picture Linda, I saw one on Facebook similar to this but yours is cuter.
Have a great day ladies

Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  04:40:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another hot one here today. Heat index up to 105. Another day of staying in. I do have one errand to run but I am doing it early this morning.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  04:51:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise high heat indexes are horrible. Hopefully the heat wave across your area will end soon.

Haven't mapped out my day yet in Day Planner. May just write piddle across the page in big letters and be done with it.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  06:54:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed on the map that we are the hottest area on the East coast. It is really draining me this heat. No energy.
Didn't make it out. Maybe this evening.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  06:58:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise the heat is hard on us who are used to it (can anyone really get used to heat?) but for you who normally have milder weather it must be oppressive.

So far I have been doing what's in my Day Planner for today - I'm piddling - may work on Rose Rustlers Murders off and on during the day.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  07:02:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right Sara. After I finish up in the kitchen I am going to start cutting quilt pieces.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  08:38:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning everyone! Our company left this morning, so it i time to start getting things back to normal. It was a lovely visit, with lots of reminiscing! We spent a couple days just here at the house, as well as the party for my hubby the one day, and a loooong day of tourist attractions. We were gone over twelve hours that day! I think today I am just going to relax! I need to take the time to plan for Christmas... in fact, I think I may set up a Christmas in July swap on the main forum. I think I'll do that now :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2018 :  6:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, Thanks for setting up that swap. Can't wait till it is time to start doing some Fall swaps!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2018 :  5:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, love the picture. Lol..I remember the heat when I lived in Texas. It's hot here too. Not my favorite weather. The garden is doing great this year. Won't be much longer and we'll have vegetables to can. I remember the days when AC wasn't an option. We barely had a fan. It was very small, but that was the way it was and we just dealt with the heat and humidity. Slept with the windows and doors wide open and didn't worry about anyone bothering us. Wouldn't think of doing that today.

I, too, have been working on Christmas presents. Hope to cut down on the stress in the Fall.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2018 :  05:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I was putting out the trash I saw two young mockingbirds who don't have there big bird tail feathers yet going after a squirrel on my neighbor's cedar privacy fence. You should have seen the squirrel trying to out run the little mockingbirds.

Mockingbirds 1 - Squirrel 0

Have yet to see a squirrel win when it comes to mockingbirds. That's one of the reasons mockingbirds are my all-time favorite bird.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2018 :  07:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara,
I have never seen a mockingbird but I have heard they can hold their own.
We sat on the porch for about an hr. last night till the gnats came to get us. Saw a hummingbird and then a couple of blue jays playing around. Then the fireflies came out. There was a slight cool breeze that came through but not enough to keep us from sweating.

JT is going to get his mom this weekend and bring her out for a couple of weeks. Looking forward to having her here. Peaches should be ripe here before she leaves so she will want to take some back with her I'm sure.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 06 2018 07:09:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2018 :  07:20:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I haven't seen fireflies since I've been in Paris. Fireflies and scissor tails need open spaces to thrive. I did see a scissor tail on a hi-line wire when going to see my sister who lives on a farm.

Enjoy your visit with your DMIL.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2018 :  07:41:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, When we went to Lancaster County a couple of weekends ago we were driving around the back roads and the fields were just lit up with fireflies. It was quite something to see. There were thousands of them. Really beautiful!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2018 :  07:45:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, So glad you got to see them - so sorry I didn't.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2018 :  07:50:21 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I loved fireflies growing up in Illinois. I miss them here in Texas. We saw a few in Arkansas last weekend, but not many. I guess they don't like Texas.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2018 :  08:12:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe they like the cooler weather? Who knows because that is hard to find these days.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2018 :  08:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know the only time I have seen fire flies was in open fields - a few may have strayed into the yard but mostly in the fields around me

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2018 :  12:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, your picture pretty much describes how it's been here in the way up northeast it's not suppose to be this hot! Today, a respite, a nice cool breeze is coming into my quilting studio. Much better than a/c

We have lots of fireflies in my yard. I just love sitting out (when the mosquitoes are not around) and watching them. I read an article in the Grit magazine (another of my favourite) about creating a haven for fireflies .... here is the link:

https://www.grit.com/animals/wildlife/attract-fireflies-to-your-property-zm0z18jazmcg

Brrr ... that breeze is cold ... nope I refuse to put on a sweater ... not after I complained about the heat! lol

Catch you all later!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2018 :  1:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a very interesting article and now I know why we have them here. Much of our property is wooded with many areas where they could survive. The neighbours also have the same type of property on both sides of us.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 06 2018 1:03:53 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Staying in the shade~ July 2018 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page