Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Sitting on the front porch. June ~2018
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting on the front porch. June ~2018 Next Topic
Page: of 6

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2018 :  03:13:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
High of 86 today - a cold snap must have come through and I missed it Hope of rain starting tomorrow through Thurs - sure do need it.

Handyman should put finishing touches on the raised beds today. They're here but not set up. Reality finally set in and I realized I didn't need all those big beds so I now have four 1' X 8' X 12". Gives me two beds for herbs and two for veggies. I always start out planning for what I want then I do what I know I can manage. My want to is always bigger than my can do. lol

I will still have herbs in pots. Mints so I can keep them contained - bay tree and caper bush which will have to winter over in house - and two container yellow roses because they require less water. A few cooking herbs in small pots on deck so their handy when I want them.

Planning on a day of laundry - doing floors - and piddling. Looking forward to the piddling - not so much the other two.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2018 :  03:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara,
I am the opposite. I started out with smaller beds and realized I wouldn't have room for everything I wanted so I had Jbear at make me bigger ones.
I didn't put a garden in this year. I had good intentions but realized I wouldn't be able to put in the time I needed to so maybe next year.
Up at 5:30 this morning. Started some laundry and getting things done early because we are getting some heat this week. Thought best to planning my work early.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jun 18 2018 05:23:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2018 :  04:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I got up at 4a.m. - went to bed at 6:30p.m. so it was a good night for me. So far I have harvested pennyroyal to use in Yellow Rose Cottage to keep away insects. Cut off the hydrangea flowers and put them in cottage to finish drying. New growth underneath the old blooms so it must like where I planted it. It's been a good morning with coffee on the side porch.

Great way to bring your rocker up to date - new cushions.

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6079 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6079 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2018 :  09:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your gardening sounds wonderful.

Have a good day,

Blessings

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2018 :  11:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soo hot and humid here.I watered my little flower garden after the sun went down.
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Jun 18 2018 11:53:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2018 :  1:24:25 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hot here and supposed to get some rain, but so far none. I need to go out and water the plants.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2018 :  05:42:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda looks like the rain is going to pass you and me by. Been looking at the radar chart and it shows rain coming up from the gulf and around Tyler it forks - a wisp of it goes up through Dallas and then north - the bigger part goes north east of us into LA and Ark. That's the same weather pattern I have watched for the last several weeks. Rain on all sides of Paris but none for us. But I have hope that it will come and soon.

Raised beds were finished and filled yesterday so today I transplanted two herbs - St John's Wort and Hyssop. They weren't doing good where I had them so it was an easy choice to do it. The other herbs are thriving so I really need to wait till fall to transplant them. But I so want to play in the dirt. It's red loam from Cooper and is very good loamy soil. Quite a difference from the blackland I'm used to. Now to figure out a way to keep those nasty pesky squirrels out of them.

Handyman is leveling my house today. Front and back storms doors aren't shutting and one area of living room floor has a slight rise in it.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2018 :  05:46:58 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, you are so right. No rain here yesterday. On Sunday it spit at us for a bit, but not enough to register much. A little yesterday would have been nice.

Would you please ask if your handyman levels barns, too? I need to get a quote on leveling my 100+ year old barn. Is this the same handyman who built your raised beds?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2018 :  05:56:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, he's a Jack of all Trades - also a licensed plumper. He has a young who works for him.

I didn't do the floors the other day so I guess I need to get off here and get it done.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2018 :  09:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Headed out to HL and picked up some garlands for Tori to use in her room around her new curtains. Curtains haven't arrived yet but we have been gathering things for her so when everything gets here she and her mom can get it all done. She wants the Paris theme in there. So the curtains are white and the garlands are pink to white on each rose. I pulled apart the covering of the rocker cushions for the glider rocker my brother in law gave me. Going to look through my stash and see what I can come up with for fresh, new covers.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2018 :  12:19:42 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a plan, Denise. Tori's room decs sound cute.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2018 :  10:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today is is threatening rain but so far none. We are planning to head to Lancaster tomorrow and spend some time with my cousin. Looks like we may have rain all weekend there too.
Tori took her decor and went home. I love to have her stay in the summertime. She likes it too but doesn't stay too many days at a time because we have to share with her brothers.
I had a bowl of blackberries and raspberries for lunch. They sure were tasty. I love berry season!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2018 :  10:02:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Farmgirls, I want to share with you two great finds I found. First of all, when I was at the grocery store yesterday, Dunkin Donuts had Pumpkin Spice Coffee as one of the flavors that they offered. Of course you know I had to snatch up a bag of that!! LOL!! Then, I had so much fun reading my Gooseberry Patch cookbook that Sara gave me in our summer swap that I went to Amazon and found a second hand Autumn book. Together, yesterday afternoon, I sat on the covered porch with the fan on and read my new book cover to cover and enjoyed the first cup of Pumpkin Spice coffee for the upcoming 2018 fall season!! I was one happy Farmgirl sitting out there despite the fact that it was 93 degrees with a heat index on 103!! LOL!!! Honestly, under the fan, it wasn't too bad!!

The first section of this cookbook is titled Happy Apple Days!!! You know I was thrilled at that one!LOL!! They do have some very easy and good looking recipes to try. I am going work up a few and see if they would work as recipes to share for out upcoming September Apple Festival at MJF.

I also wanted to mention to Sara that I made the Orzo salad from my new Summer book and it was so delicious!! Hubby loved it too. I have several other recipes to try real soon as well.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2018 :  4:38:19 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hubby and I are in Fairfield Bay, AR, and the weather has been great so far. It rained in the wee hours this morning, but otherwise has been wonderful, humid andand in the 90s. We are sitting on a bench at the
Mountain View, AR courthouse waiting for the impromptu bluegrass music to begin. It is nice #128077; in the shade.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2018 :  4:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda it's alright with me if you get up and clog to the music when the spirit hits you. Have fun my friend and tell DH hi for me.

Watching British mysteries on PBS tonight which just happens to be one of my favorite things.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2018 :  09:17:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I love,love that cookbook! That sounds like the perfect day to me! Can wait for the 2018 fall season to be up and running. Though with baby boy coming in October I may be enjoying other things for a couple of weeks.

Linda, That sounds like lots of fun. I hope you enjoyed it!

Sara, Don't you just love the British shows we are able to watch? They have so many. I have never actually watched the mysteries they have, other than Sherlock. Big fan of Benedict Cumberbatch!

It's such a beautiful day. Playing catch up but taking a break this afternoon!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2018 :  11:00:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night our PBS station ran the first episode of the new season of Endeavor, which is one of their murder mystery series. I love the characters in this show!! It takes place in Oxford, England and the story has evolved from the 1950s to now the 1960s. My thanks to Britain for such wonderful TV shows to enjoy!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2018 :  11:33:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I too watched Endeavor and it's one of my current favorite mysteries though I do miss the old Inspector Morse series. Endeavor is Morse as a young man. In the original series Morse never let anyone know his given name was Endeavor.

Denise, BC is a good Sherlock Homes but my favorite SH of all time was Jeremy Brett. His series ran some twenty years ago.

I watch British mysteries on Thurs and Sat nights. Sunday nights when they are running Masterpiece Mysteries.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2018 :  1:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Jeremy was great as Sherlock.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6079 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6079 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2018 :  1:37:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree they do have good mystery show I like Poirot and Agatha Christe too,j

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2018 :  05:54:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a letter in the mail yesterday from Gooseberry Patch. They let me know they are using a recipe I sent them about 2 or so years ago. So, in January I with be getting a free copy of the cookbook they are putting it in. "Grandma's Favorites"

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2018 :  06:05:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, Congratulations!!! Happy for you.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2018 :  07:12:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WooHoo, Denise!! Congratulations on your acceptance of your recipe. Such an honor to be selected! What did you submit? Looks like another Gooseberry Patch cookbook will be entering my collection soon.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2018 :  07:22:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to add that yesterday I tried out the Apple bread recipe from my Fall Gooseberry Patch cookbook. It was delicious! I have several of the apple recipes flagged that I intend to try in the next two months and if they are good, I am thinking of putting them together in a little collection for sharing in our upcoming September Apple Festival here at MJF. My idea is to find very simple, relatively healthy recipes that would be easy for anyone to put together and enjoy. The recipes will need to have simple ingredients that most people would have on hand in their pantries, save a few ingredients like fresh apples etc. Many of these existing recipes in the cookbook are for larger crowds, so I am making half recipes to see how they turn out because many of us would like to be able to either upsize or downsize ingredients depending on how much is reasonable to make. We shall see how many of these favorites work up well and my idea can be put together. Hehehe, I have had a serious bout of AppleFever the past week and have been at the sewing machine and desk "cooking" up new ideas and having fun. The weather here is so miserable outside. The humidity and heat indexes ( in the low 100s) make outside time very limited.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2018 :  1:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at Hobby Lobby this afternoon and they had all their fall decorating stuff out. It isn't even the Fourth of July yet. We have had tons of rain here. Our red raspberries are just starting and we will get a bumper crop!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting on the front porch. June ~2018 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page