Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Sitting on the front porch. June ~2018
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting on the front porch. June ~2018 Next Topic
Page: of 6

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2018 :  06:20:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning!
Beautiful here today and looks like the rain will stay away until sometime next week. So looking forward to spending some time doing outdoor tasks. Seems to be never ending with what needs to be done. Spent yesterday cleaning carpets and shredding lots of dad's old paperwork. This morning worked on one of the area rugs. Today is going to be a few chores, out to run errands and then hopefully back to work in the garage. We will see how the day goes and my energy levels.
Have a great day everyone!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jun 14 2018 06:21:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2018 :  06:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of summer changes are happening around here!!

Shannon, glad that your life out in Wyoming continues to build and settle into new and happier routines!

Linda, WooHoo on Ed's retirement!! I know how "broke down" I felt after 10 years as an Operating room nurse and that was when I was young!! LOL!! t It is a very demanding area to work in with lots of physical repetitions all day long. You two are going to finally be able to sort out the two households and figure out next steps. I know it will be a positive move when you can get to the place you want!! Sorry about the RV troubles. I always wondered if they could get into being a money pit and you are stuck either forking out money or letting it sit and continue to decline in the driveway.

Denise, you sure are raising Spring cleaning to a new level!! I know it takes an awful lot of work, but hopefully some of the projects won't have to be done again for a long time. Gotta have time for some porch sittin' you know!! LOL!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2018 :  08:53:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara - how wonderful that your handyman will set up your raised beds for you!

Denise - we need to have someone come out and give the set up a real good look. They did a lousy job when the originally put in the sewer system and cut a lot of corners, which is why it doesn't work right. The pipes they used for the drain field are not the right kids, so they have collapsed and are full of mud! Sounds like you are being seriously productive! We are having some warmer days - today will be in the mid to upper 90s, so I'm staying inside for the most part. To top it off, my allergies are in over drive. Not sure what it is that is driving my poor sinuses nuts, but wowsers!

Winnie - God is definitely blessing us with our life out here! I cannot even begin to explain the sense of "being home" that we have out here - even when we have feet of now, or are in the midst of a drought!

Today is going to be a more relaxed day here inside. I'm trying to finish working on more of the kids' geography curriculum. I'm pretty sure I told you guys that I write that. Anyways, I'm working on Germany right now, which looks like it will be a five week study... I'm on week three right now. It is kinda funny - we will be talking about Christmas and their Christmas markets that week, and I'm thinking I may organize a Christmas in July swap on the main forum again :) Tomorrow we are headed to Spearfish (about 1.5 hours away) for doctor appointments - Emi is to set her up as a patient, and then I am seeing him to try to figure some of my stuff out. Then we are headed to Rapid City (another 1-1.5 hours away from Spearfish) for a field trip for the older four. They are going to an "Escape Room" where they have to use clues to unlock the doors. Should be a fun time :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  10:25:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Worked tidying up the backyard this morning so rest of day is free to piddle and rest. In the morning I hope to can four pints organic red kidney beans. Would like to can for the next three or four mornings. Have quite a few heirloom dried beans on hand.

Tomorrow or Monday handyman will take a look at my house and see what it will take to level it. Always something to fix or up-date in an vintage home. I like the term vintage rather than old. My house was build between 1943-45. It's my age but I don't like vintage or old for me - I prefer "glory years" Yes I am a woman in her glory years. Doesn't that sound a whole better than any other term used to describe women of a certain age.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  11:39:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, that term sounds great because aren't we all in our glory years! Vintage houses can be troublesome at times. Ours was built in 1897. Looks like a colonial from the front. Hope to work out in the garage this weekend and starting clearing it out.

I spent this morning putting together lasagna for supper with friends tonight. After that was in the fridge I made an angel food cake to have with fresh blackberries, strawberries and whipped topping for dessert. Swept the floors and cleaned up the kitchen. Dishwasher is cleaning up my mess and I will get that unloaded as soon as it finishes. The sun is shining and it is beautiful on the porch this afternoon. Love sitting out here and listening to all the outdoor sounds. Our porch is shaded most all day long. I don't have too many flowers out there for that reason.

Getting out some decor for 4th of July. I like to have it out for flag day as well but I am late this year.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  2:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise angel food cake and berries sounds great for a summer supper.

Handyman showed up and my plans for raised beds has changed. He will build cedar beds and put on cinder blocks two high so they will be 2' high. He will build them at his house and I will have them set up sometime tomorrow. He will also get a load of top soil and fill them. Instead of two beds I am getting four 8'X2'X12" beds. I am having all that done for what two stock tanks would cost me. I am so happy.

Talked with my sister, Betty, and she said all the old timers in this area plant their fall crop the first of July. I want to grow Swiss chard for sure - it will last through a frost or two. Will have to read up on what else can be planted for fall crop so I can order the seeds. In the fall I will transplant herbs out of their containers into one of the beds. I'm so excited - I've getting a new toy to play with - four new toys. lol

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  6:05:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara,
Those will be nice big beds to use. It's always fun and you will get a great harvest I'm sure! So nice to have cedar. That will keep out a lot of bugs.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  6:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I am wondering if I should paint them or leave natural. Does cedar need painting?

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  6:24:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No cedar does not need painting. We put cedar siding on our house and we did not paint it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  6:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Denise - the grey will look good with the cinder blocks. I have assorted grey pots along both sides of sidewalk leading to front porch.

I have been reading up on growing beets as a fall crop in Texas. One of my Texas gardening books gave the time to sow the seeds as 8 to 10 weeks before first frost so come Sept I want to plant one bed in beets for my sister and me to pickle. I also like beet greens. Now to figure out how many beets I can harvest out of one bed.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  7:30:41 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sara -

Your raised beds sound great. What is he making the bottom of them out of? Does he live local to you? They will hold a lot of dirt. Where are you going to get it all?

Also, did you find out what leveling your house entails? Is that the same handyman?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Jun 15 2018 7:35:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6079 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6079 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  10:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, your raised beds sound really nice, Cedar is a beautiful wood just natural.

They will be pretty.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2018 :  01:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, the bottom will be cedar too. He knows of a place to get good top soil by the truck load so he will get what he thinks I will need in his pickup and fill the beds for me. I told him I wanted it weed free. Have heard horror stories about soil brought in loaded with weeds. He assured me it was weed free.

The cinder blocks will be stacked two high and have a stake run through them so they won't move around. The blocks will be at both ends and middle. Should make for sturdy beds. The corners will be put together with those metal connector thingys.

He lives in Paris but will go as far as Sherman which is 100 miles west of here for a job. I asked him because my sister Betty who lives in Bogota, 30 miles east of here, has need of a handyman from time to time. He told me to give her his number.

Thanks Darlene.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2018 :  05:58:15 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I may ask you for his number. We are only 59 miles from you, so I may ask for his number. Not now, but maybe later.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2018 :  06:10:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I'll have his number when you want it. He's the kind of handyman who will do all kinds of jobs. He's the one who cut back my neighbors branches that were growing over my cottage. He also carried off large fallen limbs. He's fair with what he charges. He did work on a house around the corner from me and cleaned up the backyard of the rent house around the other corner from me.

Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2018 :  07:04:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone, I have some time and thouht I would see how all of you are doing. It is interesting to see how everyone is doing. I posted about my daughter's surgery on the Taking a Break Thread.

It sure is going to be hot and humid here for the next few days. 90,but will feel like 100. Ugh! Not good for peas, but good for other crops. The garden is doing good though.

Getting food made ahead so we won't have to heat up the kitchen for a while. Also, getting things ready for our daughter to stay here. I've managed to get some Christmas knitting done in the evenings. Decided to knit dishclothes for my kids this year. I have 45 knitted so far. That should give them a good supply for a while. Can't believe they are done this early.

Sara, your raised beds sound great. I would love raised beds for vegetables and flowers. Maybe someday. Well life is calling. Will be back when I can. Hopefully not to long from now.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2018 :  07:06:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So great to see you here Brenda!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2018 :  07:34:22 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice to hear from you, Brenda. It is soooooooo hot so far. I don't like the heat.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6079 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6079 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2018 :  08:04:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brenda good to see you on here. My you are a busy knitter, I just know your family will love them all.
Stay cool

Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2018 :  10:42:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI Brenda, so glad you had time to stop by! You are not alone with the awful heat and humidity. Golly geez, every day is like that here in between the rain bomb storms that drop a bunch of rain, lightning and thunder carrying on, and that never ending summer cycle we are all in here in the South!

Do I hear a shout out for Fall???

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2018 :  12:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rah! Rah! Fall Yea!!!

Edited by - YellowRose on Jun 17 2018 12:21:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2018 :  12:36:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with you Sara. Yay for fall!!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2018 :  1:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Me, too! Me, too! Ready for FALL!!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6079 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6079 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2018 :  6:45:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay for fall.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2018 :  6:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope to be thinking cool fall tomorrow when it hits in the 90's. Just glad it's not raining though.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting on the front porch. June ~2018 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page