Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Sitting on the front porch. June ~2018
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting on the front porch. June ~2018 Next Topic
Page: of 6

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2018 :  2:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, I grew up on a chicken farm and back then we did the old way of butchering. Plunging them in scalding water and plucking. I never liked it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2018 :  3:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise - that is how we did our first batch last year and it took us so long!!!! Then we bought a plucker and that helped! This year we also have a scalder... It goes so much better ;)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2018 :  07:16:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just came in from checking plants on deck and so happy to report I saw one small bee buzzing the butterfly bush. First bee I'm seen this year. So there's hope of more around.

My sister and I are making a whiskey run at 10:30a.m. stopping at the dollar store along the way. On way back we may hit Braum's for a bag of burgers and the Salvation Army.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2018 :  07:23:53 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You, Go, Sara!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2018 :  07:47:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon~ They didn't have pluckers or scalders back then. Well not unless you count my mom and I! LOL. 3 of my dad's sister's would come help too and they would all take home fresh chickens and eggs. He had lots of chickens. Not your average backyard chicken farmer. I can remember candling the eggs and having one of those great big lights like they had in the movie "The Egg and I" to keep the chicks warm. I mean there were dozens of them running around. I always loved that movie for bringing back some childhood memories!

Today I am headed to the Strawberry festival. It was cancelled last week due to the weather, and then I am going to the local antique stores to see what's new there. We have an antique store I didn't know about and it is real close by so I am going to check them out too! Kind of warm today so having my mid morning tea on the porch.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2018 :  11:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, I say Travel, Travel, Travel! I would soooooooooo do that if I could!!! Not that I would not love having a goat or more of a farm lifestyle. I love that too!! I have to be reasonable, I have no help and no one in my family loves outside like me! and health issues keep me inside in the Summer. So I just enjoy all of your stories and pictures! about the Farm Animals.

Thank you Carol! I will be checking back for update on your class!
Denise, thats how chickens were raised on my Granny's brother's farms I use to visit as a kid.

When Holly was little, we use to go to Sunday Dinners at my Granny's, her son and his family lived on the property too, and my little cousin, Rachael raised a goat for 4-h and her name was Nanny Jean and me and all the kids loved her. We would eat fast so as to have more time outside. So you can see why when I saw Mary Jane's Farm in a book ad. I fell in love!!

Connie

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2018 :  11:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We do travel as much as we can. LOL! As soon as Ed retires - which had better be QUICK! - we will travel in the motorhome, too. All y'all never know when we might visit! LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2018 :  11:42:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara - YAY for bees!!!!!!

Denise - I am looking forward to the day that I have an abundant strawberry patch here! Hoping you had fun!

Connie - What great memories!!!! Does Holly remember going to her Granny's? I'm so sad that many of my children will not remember their Pop (Brad's dad)

Linda - you are always welcome to visit here <3

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2018 :  12:02:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda travel now and goat herd later when you and Ed settle down a little. lol Always welcomed to park your motorhome overnight here at my Little Eden. Supper & breakfast served in the house.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2018 :  12:04:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went early and I'm glad I did because it is just pouring down rain. Found some goodies at the antique store. No strawberries. They wanted 6.95 a qt.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2018 :  12:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, just let me know if you head northeast!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6078 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6078 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2018 :  5:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise,That was expensive for strawberries, too bad huh!

I haven't been out that much but don't remember hearing any bees outside, must be some though because the blue berry bush has berries on it and there is a Wild berry bush blooming out in the corner of my yard. We shall see.

Well you all have a great week,

hugs and love

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2018 :  1:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You Shannon, she does remember going to Granny's!

Hugs! Connie
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2018 :  07:43:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This morning is cooler so watering and a little weeding was easy to do and I got to see how each of my plants are doing.

Now for a little housework, laundry, TV watching, and embroidering. It's a good day!

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2018 :  07:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, Yes, that was expensive! People sell them along the road for 5 and 6$$ a qt.
I just buy mine at the grocer's for 1.99. They are delicious even if they aren't local. I local ones are very good but not for those prices. I remember when we first moved here we were picking them for 85 cents a qt. Those days are gone for sure. Now it's a 1.85 to pick them so you can see the profit they are making. Minus the cartons of course but they are cheap too.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6078 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6078 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2018 :  12:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, we used to be able to pick them here too, there is a place that grows them here and they are so good, but expensive. I buy mine in the store too. flavor is so different.

Take care.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2018 :  4:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara,
That sounds like a great day in my book! I got some paperwork done and a bit of cleaning. Had a chat with my dd in OH.
That always makes it a great day for me!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2018 :  05:14:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing new going on here. Just rain, rain, rain all the time with periods of sun and humidity. Some of our flowers are struggling from this constant pounding of the rain storms and lack of enough drying out days. But the weeds are growing gang busters!! LOL!! A friend gifted us a seedless watermelon yesterday and I cut it up into little pieces and put it in the fridge. There is nothing sweeter and refreshing in Summer than ice cold watermelon. It is the perfect snack!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2018 :  05:10:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I sure understand about the rain. We have a day of sunshine and about 3 days of rain. We are supposed to be getting our septic done this summer but if this keeps up it will be muddy everywhere. Not looking forward to that mess.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2018 :  06:09:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise I was on a septic system for 35 years before I moved to Paris so I know what you will be dealing with to have the work done - not to mention the expense.

No rain in sight for my area and we sure could use some of Denise & Winnie's. A storm system is building in the gulf so something may come my way.

I ordered the book on square foot gardening to get ready for my raised beds. The only containers that will be left on my deck will be the bay tree, caper bush, sage and thyme to be used for daily cooking. More sage and thyme will go in raised beds for drying. With all the shade on the deck now I will have to use it for something other than growing herbs and flowers.

I also ordered a used cookbook Texas Slow Cooking. When I can I buy used books for myself. Book and shipping $6.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2018 :  06:22:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara,
Not looking forward to the big job happening but it needs to be done.

I have the sq.ft.gardening book. I think you'll like it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2018 :  12:27:33 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My house is on a septic tank now, and so is Ed's place. I know that soon I will need to have it cleaned out. Ed needs a top for his.

You really are going great guns on your raised beds, Sara. I need to do something. I had a young man who works at Lowes come over and clean out most of my flower beds Monday. He worked for 9 hours and got a LOT done. A lot I didn't want to do myself. There is a little weed cleanup I still have to do and my honey-do list is growing. LOL!

Ed is retiring - next Tuesday is his last day! WOO HOO!!! He is taking sick days tomorrow and Friday - being on his feet so long every day and having to move gurneys and heavy equipment around has taken its toll on his back and hips. He is going back on Tuesday to train a new circulating nurse and that is his last day.

Today Ed put in a new toilet in my sewing house and cleaned out the AC/heater unit in the same little house. There are so many more honey-dos I can list - hopefully we can get some of them done.

Next Thursday we are going to Fairfield Bay, Arkansas, for 10 days. We need to use up a lot of his timeshare points or lose them, and Fairfield Bay is calming, close, and there are some weekend things we can do there. Anyone want to meet us there for a few days? We have a 2-bedroom unit. LOL!

We got the motorhome back yesterday and the refrigerator and jacks aren't working. Don't know if it is just a switch that got switched off or something major. I sure hope not. This RV is just becoming a money pit.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2018 :  1:44:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara - I actually use the square foot bed technique in my raised beds. I LOVE it!!! It seems to work great!

Denise - We desperately need a new drain field, but just do not have the funds right now! That has been the biggest nightmare with this house!!! It has to be emptied every other week! Talk about a money pit!

Winnie - My cousin in Florida has said all the rain has about killed her garden! She is over by the two Air Force bases. Hopefully you guys will get a break soon!

Darlene - Yay! Fresh blueberries will be super yummy!!!! I'm hoping to plant some in the next year or two.

Linda - Yay on retirement for Ed! Hopefully your RV is good to go now and you guys can just relax :)

I'm trying to remember what I posted last... but my memory has seemed to escape me! We finished butchering our chickens on Saturday - about 40 of them. Then Sunday we tried a new church that we really enjoyed! We are heading back there this Sunday and I'm actually looking forward to it. It has been awhile since I was excited about going to church. Then Monday one of our goats freshened.... twins - a little boy and girl. The girl looks like she has a white heart on her side <3 Then yesterday we went to a class about poultry for the fair. I was going to let the kids enter their chickens into the fair, but we would have to drive in to town three times a day... and it is 45 minutes one way!!! Not sure I want to do that. Then today our last pregnant goat had her babies. She too had a girl and boy. For the year we had 16 goats... four were girls

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2018 :  2:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon so happy you found a church you are excited about. I had a square foot gardening book that I gave to my sister when I moved because I thought I would only be doing container gardening but as shade has taken over the deck that changed.

Linda tell Ed I'm happy for him retiring.

Talked with the handyman today and he will do my raised beds for me. He will check on prices for stock tanks. Hope to get them on sale. I have time to wait for a sale. Cinderblocks are $1 each and will need six per bed so the blocks are the least expensive part of the project. The tanks and soil will take $$$.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2018 :  2:46:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, it started out they we were just replacing the drain field but we decided to go with a more updated tank. This system is very old.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jun 14 2018 06:16:20 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting on the front porch. June ~2018 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page