GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2018 :  2:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For March I thought we could have a "catch-up" month - working on January's Chocolate Badges and February's Bibliophile Badges. If you have the Beginner badge, then go ahead and work towards Intermediate and Expert.

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2018 :  6:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As someone who is perpetually behind on badges, I think this is an excellent idea!! :)

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2018 :  6:43:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good to me, Joyce!!!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2018 :  04:58:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My goal is to encourage...not overwhelm....so I'm hoping this will encourage others to join us!! :D

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2018 :  05:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pluggin away at my books! The one I'm reading the most is the Grimm Fairy Tales. Noelle is always asking me to read to her from that book. Most of those stories can be a little disturbing but I think they have good things that kids can learn from them and they aren't too over the top. I took a picture of my book stack and I thought I posted it, but I don't see it. I'll post it here if I remember later.

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2018 :  4:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erin, did you read the post MaryJane had on her blog under Glitterati a week or so ago? It was about the real hidden story behind some of the fairy tales.....craziness! Some of them are a little dark but I agree that they do have a good message usually. I have a couple of books that I'm still plugging away at. I need to finish ONE at a time instead of having 3 or 4 partially read!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2018 :  11:33:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie- I didn't read that post but as soon as I saw what you wrote I went right over to check it out. Very crazy. I absolutely believe that most of those stories contain a lot of truth in them. I'm the same way with books. I have about 3 going right now. I should just dedicate myself to one. It's hard when there are just bits of time!

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2018 :  10:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's what I did for March badge catch-up time:

I have my TBR pile - which included Von Trapp Family Singers (the story of their lives that inspired Sound of Music); Created to Be His Help Meet (Debi Pearl), Big Red (Jim Kjelgaard), Felicity (AG Doll). I'm pre-reading the kids' books so that would be why the last two were on the list! I did finish all the books, except Von Trapp, which I'm almost done. For the Intermediate Level - I've put up a contest, so be sure to sign up!! I'm also part of a Charlotte Mason Book Club that meets once a month. I'd love to be part of the MJF one, but I'm not on FB :(

The next badge I applied for was the Carpe Cocoa badge - beginner and intermediate. I couldn't read the book suggested as I was unable to get it, but I read Natural History of Chocolate by D. DeQuelus. I enjoyed reading about the difference between dark, milk and white as well as how to temper chocolate. It's quite the process!

The last badge I worked on was "Bread Making" - Beginner, Intermediate and Expert. I really enjoyed getting my mother into a bread...lol!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2018 :  6:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joyce, so you did the latest version of the bread making badge and made sourdough bread?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2018 :  04:16:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...I don't know if it was the latest - but it was the one that I had in my binder from printing in January? But yes, I did make sourdough bread :) I loved it!!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2018 :  05:50:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, I finished my beginner chocolate badge, and I know I'm behind compared to everyone else, but some things that stood out to me from the book were:

-It seemed almost funny to me that the author(s) made a big deal about the Mayan sacrafices being more like 1,000 vs thousands. I understand why they did this; to show exaggeration in the history we have, but they seemed to almost say "no big deal, it was just a thousand human sacrafices". I know almost all cultures have human sacrafice somewhere in their history, so I'm not picking on the Mayans, but the tone I read into the way they wrote about it seemed strange to me. Just my opinion.

-I thought it was interesting that the Aztec priests did not indulge in chocolate, because of their vow of austerity, vs. the European Jesuits who not only indulged but became cacao traders.

-I loved the story about the Spanish ladies becoming chocoholics and demanding to drink chocolate during mass because of their "weak stomaches". Then when the priests refused to let them, they poisoned the priests!

All in all, it was a very interesting book that took me way to long to read, but I did enjoy it! I have not applied for my badge yet. Hopefully I will do that by this weekend.

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2018 :  1:01:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay!! Thanks for sharing, Erin!!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2018 :  5:45:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erin, I thought the same thing about the number of human sacrifices....I had read that they numbered in the thousands and I thought the author also had a ho hum kind of attitude about it, as well. The church history with regards to chocolate was pretty funny! I think our priest would raise a serious eyebrow if I told him I couldn't get through an hour without a chocolate drink! You know they had a serious addiction if they resorted to poison!!! hahaha

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2018 :  11:21:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie I just went re-read my post about the book and I can't believe I spelled sacrifice wrong so many times! I used to participate in, and win, spelling bees! You'd never know it... :)

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2018 :  8:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha!!! You did??? I never noticed until you mentioned it...no biggie!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic March Badges Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page