Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Wildflower Farmgirls
 Project Discussions
 Cleaning Up - Green Energy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Cleaning Up - Green Energy Next Topic  

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2018 :  6:08:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm working on my Green Energy Badge. We don't have the resources to currently install a solar panel - although it is on our list! The other option for earning the expert badge is to help a fellow farmgirl with a large energy-reducing project. I'm wondering if any of you need any help? I know I can't physically do it, but I wonder if there are any projects/paperwork/research that I can or send you to help you out in these areas. If you have something you need help with - please let me know! I would love to help :)

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2018 :  6:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm working on my beginner badge and I'd like to share with you some different methods of energy production. There was recently an article done on this topic, in December, that really helped me understand the different ways energy is produced.

Most renewable energy sources produce little to no global warming emissions, even when including the "life cycle" emissions of energy - the manufacturing, installation etc. For example, burning natural gas releases between .6 and 2 pounds of carbon dioxide equivalent per kilowatt hour. Coal emits between 1.4 and 3.6 pounds of COWE/kWh. Wind, though, only emits .02 to .04 pounds of CO2E/kWh - wow!! Soar is .07-.2 and geothermal is .1 to .2 and hydroelectric between .1 and .5. Wow! I'm really impressed - we have a lot of wind turbines going up in our area, and now I can see why! I also learned about the improved health - air and water pullotion from coal and natural gas plants are linked to breathing problems, neurological damage, heart attacks, cancer, premature death and more. Wow!! I was really saddened to hear of all this. As opposed to wind and solar - no water to operate, thus no pollution to water resources - which affects our agriculture, wells, drinking waters etc.

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2018 :  6:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question Ladies: For the Expert Level Badge it says you should commit to an even larger project such as installing solar panels....on the weekend we re-insulated our entire attic and basement. I used this towards the Home Insulation Badge - could I use this for my Green Energy badge as well, or would it need to be a separate project? Trying to be realistic in cost with different projects :/ I was hoping to also help out some fellow sisters with ideas/projects for their homes, if possible, to get my 30 hours in.

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2018 :  5:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joyce, thanks for sharing your findings with us. I wish I had a research project I could offer you, but right now it isn't in our budget to do a big project like that. I would email Brian to see if you could apply the time to both. It doesn't hurt to check, and seems like it would apply to both. I just went back and read the requirements for Green Energy, and there aren't any examples given other than a solar panel, huh? I don't have any other ideas for you. I did a google search trying to find something else, and I didn't see any big ideas, just the littler ones suggested in Intermediate. Maybe if you did a few more of those along with counting your time from the Home Insulation it would be enough time?

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2018 :  2:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Erin - I will email Brian and see what he says :) Thanks for the tips and advice! I appreciate them.

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2018 :  08:01:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem, Joyce. Let us know what he says! :)

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2018 :  1:37:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for sharing this with us. To be honest, I really have no idea how all of this energy "stuff" works! I would think that your home insulation project could also be used towards the energy reducing project. Did you find out anything yet?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2018 :  4:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m going to email him tonight, Debbie.

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Sabrina

Germany
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2018 :  5:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joyce,

I would think it would apply to both...

As far as helping with projects, I don't know if this helps but we live in a 140-year-old house and our energy use is awful. I need to cut down on it but we have a very limited budget for improvements. I am looking for any and every idea to cut out costs. We have been adding weather stripping and ended up duck taping around some windows to cut down on drafts because we can't replace them right now and nothing else would work. We have gas stove, heater, and water heater. Our gas and electric combined in December was $550 which is just awful. We turn off lights all the time, keep the heat at about 64-66 during the day and 58 at night....I just don't know what else to do!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com
*Journal Through The Bible*The Life Giving Home Study*Homemaker's Bookclub*
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2018 :  5:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Sabrina!!! Let me do some research over the next couple of days and see if I can get some ideas for you. One thing I found extremely helpful (that I just learned!) was that you can borrow this electric meter detector from your power company - for free - to see if there is an appliance or something that is causing the high cost. For example, recently a friend told me that her very old freezer was costing them $200!!!! a month on electricity! They, of course, ran to the store to buy a new one!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Sabrina

Germany
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2018 :  5:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That’s interesting! I’ll call and ask them about that. I called and talked to them a long time and they gave me a few tips but not really anything new.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com
*Journal Through The Bible*The Life Giving Home Study*Homemaker's Bookclub*
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada