Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Toasting our toes by the fire~ Jan 2018
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Toasting our toes by the fire~ Jan 2018 Next Topic
Page: of 8

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2018 :  12:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I grocery shopped this morning and some of the meat and produce bins were bare. Brookshire's home office and warehouse are in Tyler and they had snow and ice so the trucks didn't run Wed. They were unloading trucks this morning. Made me stop and think how fortunate we are to live in a country where shelves are usually full but we are only a truck load or two away from having nothing to eat. Another reason to keep a full pantry and plan for energies like ice storms. You may not have ice (we didn't) but ice elsewhere will keep trucks off the road. The assistant produce manager told me the warehouse was out of a lot of produce because trucks couldn't make it to Tyler.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6080 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6080 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2018 :  7:17:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that can make you nervous when you find the trucks aren't able to deliver to the stores. We have been fortunate here where I live because we live in an area that could happen to us too.
This area has been called the Redwood curtain and they used to deliver things by ships up here, some things still are I think. You just never know really.
Take care Sara, and keep on writing and stay safe and warm.

hugs and love to you all
Blessings.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2018 :  08:13:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I canned 4 pints of chicken broth this morning and watched Central Texas Gardener on PBS. The guest today was a professor from A&M Extension Office. He spoke on rose rustling and I ordered his book The Rose Rustlers on Amazon. I first heard of rose rustling when I was a member of the Sherman Herb and Old Roses Society. I have been interested in starting old roses for years but never pursued it. I think I am ready to do it. Now to find a heirloom rose I can take a cutting off. Old home places, cemeteries, and fence rows are good places to start.

The professor said although cuttings may be taken all year long it's better to do it in cooler months. On Monday I'm going to my sister's about 30 minutes east of Paris. I'm planning on taking my cutters just in case I come across a old rose along fence rows out in the country.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3527 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3527 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2018 :  09:01:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This weather in January has been hard on many communities across our nation! We don't think about how inner connected we all are until we face hardships with things like food deliveries, gas deliveries, electricity restoration and the like. I agree with you Sara that we all need to be more prepared for unexpected emergencies and sudden shortages.

I think growing old roses would be fun. I just don't have a green thumb and Florida weather can produce some challenges to some varieties. It would be fun to have a little fence with small old roses climbing along it and blooming their little hearts out!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2018 :  09:18:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Climbing sprawling yellow roses are my favorites. I also like the wild roses found on old fences. I really want one of those even if they are usually pinky-rosy colored.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9540 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9540 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2018 :  09:21:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had wild roses growing next to the house. Unfortunately JT fed them and it burnt them so now I am going to get some tea roses to plant there.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6080 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6080 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2018 :  10:29:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I planted one little Rose plant in my yard years ago, every year it blooms at least one or two roses. It is really pretty there. In Ferndale, when you drive out of the parking lot at church there is a backyard full of roses and one is a beautiful yellow orange one that blooms alot, such a beauty.
Have a good Saturday.

Love you all.

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9540 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9540 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2018 :  11:01:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds beautiful Darlene. Just love roses.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2018 :  11:35:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene one thing about other people's gardens we can enjoy them without the work. On the way to the grocery store the hospital plants seasonal flowers around a tree. There's a stop light there so I get to enjoy them a little longer some days.

Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2018 :  11:45:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I planted the Rosa rugosa variety at my parents house. They did beautifully there. Did you know in colonial times they were planted as living fences. They grow tall, dense and have lots of thorns covering the stems making it very difficult to get through. They also smell wonederful and produce large rose hips. Hope you find some Sara.

The power used to go out here quite often. We got in the habit of keeping food in a freezer, home canned goods on the shelf, bottled water, and milk jugs of water for flushing the toilet. We are fortunate to have wood heat and wood to burn. The power doesn't go out much anymore, but we still keep up the same habit. If the trucks don't get through or a storm hits we'll be ok.

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6080 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6080 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2018 :  12:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I agree there are so many colors God is good.
When people do so much work with their gardens it is so enjoyable Sara, the only thing with Roses now days is that if you smell them and there isn't any fragrance. The older ones have that.
A living fence of roses would insure safety around a house. I bet there were a lot of bees then too.
What are the Rosa rugosa like Brenda? I hope the weather behaves and the power doesn't go out.
Take care everyone.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2018 :  10:02:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are Rosa Rugosa Roses and some information on them. From The Complete garden flower book by Murdoch Books

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9540 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9540 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2018 :  10:25:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right Darlene. There are many new ones now that don't smell at all.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9540 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9540 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2018 :  10:26:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brenda, that is interesting. Would love to have a flowering hedge. I know right where to put it. I might give that some thought for one this year.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2018 :  11:41:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a difference a few days make. I'm been celebrating 71 today with a banana and glass of wine on the deck. Annie shared the banana with me and then chewed on her rawhide treat. Just a couple of days ago it was in the 20s daytime and 9 at night. I'm going to sit out there some more and soak in the spring like weather because I know freezing days are ahead.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2018 :  4:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Brenda - I think that rose hedge is what we had between yards in Illinois when I was growing up. It was about those dimensions wide and tall. Came back every year after the cold weather.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2018 :  09:10:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loves Roses, never been successful growing them! I got those knockout ones, they have no smell!! I killed them too!
Sara, 68 and Sunny here today. That sunny feels good! Winter is not done with us yet!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2018 :  10:49:25 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mom never called them knockout roses, but that's how big they got. Made a great divider between yards, Very few in the neighborhood had fences.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6080 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6080 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2018 :  1:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For Sara's 71 degree weather, Enjoy the warmth!

Have a good day.

hugs and love

Farmgirl # 4943

Edited by - darlenelovesart on Jan 22 2018 2:21:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2018 :  1:47:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene I sent you an e-mail. A little misunderstanding. The 71 I posted is for temperature - I'll be 76 on March 1

Darlene you have one of the sweetest spirits of anyone I have ever met. I'm so happy to have come to know you here on SPG Farm. Miles apart but kindred in heart.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2018 :  8:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, it is so much fun to start old roses. Be sure to take along some water to put the cuttings in or wet towels, paper or cloth. i use rooting harmone on rose cuttings. One year I had a lot started and lost them in a late freeze. My husbands grandmother just stuck a Cutting into the fertile soil near the rose bush and turned a glass jar upside down over it to form its own little green house.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2018 :  05:54:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, great tip about using rooting hormone. I've also read to soak willow cuttings in water and use the water to root. No willows I know of around me. Sure would like to give it a try. Willow bark was the original aspirin - Indians used it for pain. I wonder if any willow is still used in making aspirin or is it all man made.

I'm anxious to get my Rose Rustlers book. It won't be here until Jan 30 - Feb 7. Can't complain I got free shipping so I can wait.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2018 :  06:52:12 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I need to start some new roses. The ones I have are not doing well; I think I need some new stock. My yard swing blew over while we were in San Antonio and completely smashed down one of my roses. The other two do not like where they are planted - it is too shady, but they have been there for many years because they were there when I bought this now 116 year old house.

On another subject - a great find for me -
When we were in San Antonio we went to the SAS (San Antonio Shoemaker) outlet store. I bought a pair of plain red loafer-style shoes for $40 (normally over $100) and they had a purse to match. The purse was $140, though, and a bit more than I wanted to spend. We went to the SAS store here and it was $199. I came home and thought I'd look on eBay and see if I could find one. When I put in SAS Purse, the very first one that came up was the red purse. It said New, Without Tags. I bought it for the Buy It Now price of $20 and $9.50 shipping and it came yesterday. It is exactly what I wanted! Woo hoo! I try to be frugal, and this time it worked out. LOL!

Can anyone suggest some good shade loving flowers and bushes that would grow in my area? The oval area is between 2 very large Sycamore trees and get a little morning sun but are mostly shaded in the afternoon. I'd love to plant something there that will be easy to care for (since we try to travel a lot) and that will look pretty and possibly give me some flowers I can cut and bring into the house.

And -- regarding travel -- we found a cruise/land trip to China for May. I am calling about it today. It is 19 days from Shanghai to Beijing with 19 included excursion trips. The first part is up the river on a small cruise ship and then it is on land to Beijing. Has anyone been to China? Is there anything I need to see or do? This includes the Great Wall and the Terra Cotta Warriors and many other great sites. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2018 :  07:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda sorry you lost the rose bush and I hope you find just the roses you are looking for. I bought a heirloom yellow climbing rose several years ago that was supposed to take shade but it's not thriving. Will see what it does over the spring and summer. If it doesn't show improvement I will have to move it in the fall. Don't want to because it's planted to climb the metal arch over the gate in front of Yellow Rose Cottage. The only way to get more sunlight in that area is to move my neighbors high roof house and I don't think that's going happen.

Great find on the purse.

Wow! The trip to China sounds great. I hope y'all do it and you have just the right red shoes and purse for the trip.

I'm seen shows on the History Channel about the terra cotta soldiers.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9540 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9540 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2018 :  09:02:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, Impatiens seem to do very well in shade. I don't know about your area but the house we had in Florida it was hard to get grass to grow on our little front lawn. The girls and I planted them along the walkway and they took over the whole front area. We had planted different colors and they looked beautiful. And we didn't have to mow!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Toasting our toes by the fire~ Jan 2018 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page