hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  06:17:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone :) Been missing my Farmgirl sisters so much! We are cooling off here now. It feels so lovely! Sadly I'm still trying to get things out of my garden, so I'm hoping I can cover them well enough to still get some veggies. my tomato, pepper, and zucchini plants are still producing. Have had a lot going on here... Aly has a broken hand... she had it sitting on a chest freezer. On the opposite wall was the extra king size mattress and box springs. They fell on her hand :( We had a sick chicken, cat, and goat for awhile... the chicken had sour crop. We used apple cider vinegar to help clear that up, and then cooked egg yolks. We let the kittens start roaming the house, especially downstairs, which is where our cat's litter box was. Well, she hates the kittens, so she quit going down there! Poor thing ended up with a UTI! She had to go see the vet and is doing much better! Still not positive what was wrong with our goat... she showed signs of pneumonia, as well as bloat, as well as having some diarrhea. The vet gave us an antibiotic for the possible pneumonia, and we also treated her with Vitamin B Complex, probiotics and electrolytes. Thankfully she is doing really well now. Sadly, we have sick kiddos though... look to be fighting croup. Ugghhh. I went to the OB again last week. i had some blood work run, including the sugar test to check for gestational diabetes. Thankfully tat came back beautifully. Unfortunately, I am extremely anemic - to the point where they are talking transfusions after my section, and my thyroid numbers are messed up, so they put me on synthroid. Hopefully that will help. Well, I need to go milk my goats. Much love to you all!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  09:54:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Shannon - I am SO excited to hear from you!!! I've been praying for you and your family every day and as such, am always thinking of you and how things are going. Thank you VERY much for the update!! Much love to you - and hugs!!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  10:33:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dearest Joyce! Thank you so much for your prayers!!!! How are you guys doing???

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  1:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are doing well, Shannon. I've had to scale back and cut quite a few things out of my life so I don't feel overwhelmed, and I'm doing much better because of it! We are all healthy, and my jersey had her baby two weeks ago (a heifer - Buttercup) so we are now milking, and I'm so thankful for these simple things in life! My teaching studio is growing, which I don't really want it to, but it is a blessing, so I'm thankful. Trying to balance how much I can do, so I cut off new registrations as I'm teaching twice a week - Monday's from 2p-9:15p and Tuesday's from 3p-9p. That, with homeschooling, keeps me busy!! :)

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  2:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh golly I bet that does keep you busy!!! I really don't know how you do it! Congratulations on Buttercup! We just bred one of our goes yesterday... hoping to do one a month, so that the births are staggered. I'm excited and scared all at the same time! What kind of things have you cut back on, if I may ask. There are so many times I think I should cut back on stuff, but struggle finding a balance!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  4:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cut back on attending mom support groups for homeschooling, I decided my husband does an excellent job ;) I also don't do extra things for myself - that way I'm not taking things away for the kids. My goal is to stay home and put them to bed each night I'm not teaching. I cut back on doing the badges because I felt it was very stressful - and I'm just going to do them as I'm interested. I also am in the process of finding a curriculum where all three children can share the same science and history, so I'm only teaching english and math separate, and everything else is at the same time. Other than that - I stay home! Lots! :) I go out as little as possible, and just enjoy my family and animals.

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  4:36:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally understand where you are coming from!!! We use Apologia science for our kids, with all of them in elementary using the same one, and Mystery of History for our history, with all of them using it, if that helps at all :) I have stepped away from so much right now. I want to get my kids a little more involved in things... but we would do it as a family... such as field trips and 4H. I'm just so overwhelmed right now with life! I haven't worked on badges in quite awhile... they were kinda just becoming something I "needed" to do instead of "wanted" to do.... and that wasn't working for me. Maybe after Jenni is born I can get my life back in order, hahaha.

We are so blessed to have husbands that support us and our decision to homeschool. I truly do not know what my life would be like without my hubby! I told him the other day that after my salvation, he is the best thing to ever happen to me, and I so mean it. Okay... I'm getting all sappy... time to get off here ;)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9468 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9468 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2017 :  3:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Girls it does my heart good to hear you talk about your husband this way. So many don't praise their husbands to others and I love that you homeschool. We did it for years and so glad we did. My husband was the planner/manager of our learning. Made things a lot easier for me. He chose the material and I planned the lessons and we both taught different parts. I really felt like we were always on the same page. His schedule allowed him to be home during some day times so he worked with them those days.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Oct 06 2017 3:00:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2017 :  04:37:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise - thank you very much for your beautiful words!! They are an encouragement :) Joyce

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9468 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9468 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2017 :  05:03:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are having a beautiful October so far. The sun has been shining. Yesterday was a little warmer than I care for but I know it will be getting chiller soon enough.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2017 :  10:36:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel the same way about badges, and even to some extent about my "online presence". I haven't logged on here in a while, but all other social media (not that I consider MJF just social media, but it's in the same vein) I've almost completely ignored for months. I log into FB maybe once a week, if that, to check my homeschool group events, but that's it. Homeschooling has definitely taken over my priorities. I am very sympathetic to the need to *be home*. Using Classical Conversations this year has really helped streamline learning with 3 different grades. It's a great jumping off point, and covers facts or projects from 9 different subjects each week that they all learn together. Also, they are excited about it, which makes my job that much easier! And I love the three other families we meet with each week.

Shannon did you get snow already? I read something about a lot of snow and I thought it was in WY but it might have been somewhere else...

Joyce I supplement our history with Story of the World (I think this may be similar to the Mystery of History) and our science with Natural Science Through the Seasons. NSTS has different things to focus on for different ages, and follows a calendar year for things like planting, harvesting, ecosystem, etc.

October has been beautiful. It hasn't felt like fall though. I'm craving that fall feeling and smell!

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2017 :  4:56:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love that poem, Erin!

I did have Story of the World...just didn't seem to fit for our family. I'm interested in the NSTS though. I'll have to research that more.

I actually got rid of Facebook, and so I don't have any social media anymore. I have this forum, and that's it. I also don't have a cell phone - so I don't text, which makes things easy for me! I'm very old fashioned - if you want to talk, you need to call me! :D

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2017 :  06:51:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I admire you home school moms. You have been blessed with good mates who support and work with you to make your families strong. Keep up the good work. God bless you all.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2017 :  08:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joyce, I didn't have a cell phone either for the longest time. I ended up getting one the week before we left for vacation in August because my dad was in the hospital and I needed to be able to get ahold of him. I was having to run errands in Fort Wayne ( where he is) and having no idea if I would need to go to the hospital until I got home all the way to Monroeville. I loved not having one, but it became very inconvenient and stressful not to have one, so I had to give in. It's definitely not attached to my hand though! I absolutely agree about calling too. I'm very much a phone person, and even though I can text now, I still will just call because 9 times out of 10 it's more convenient to just have a quick conversation! The way some people are just unwilling to speak to each other is so strange.

Thanks Marilyn! I have definitely been blessed with a supportive husband and a group of moms that encourage me constantly!

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2017 :  09:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Marilyn, for the encouraging words!!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2017 :  06:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It finally feels like fall here! Wow... that's a lot of f's. I think I'm going to make some pumpkin bread to celebrate today. I took all the kids to Aldi yesterday and I was so happy they had canned pumpkin there. Aldi can be so hit or miss on some things. Do you all remember a few years ago when there was a pumpkin shortage and canned pumpkin was hard to find? I think every year I feel paranoid that that's going to happen again so when I see pumpkin, I make sure to grab about 10 cans!

A little side note that's really funny, unless it's happening to you- being a family of six you can imagine the cart gets pretty full (Shannon, I don't know how you do it!) and Rory has started to just reach around and grab things from the back of the cart and throw them out! None of my other kids ever did this! What a little stink!

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9468 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9468 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2017 :  06:45:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erin, I'm with you on the phone thing. I hardly ever remember to take mine with me and when I do I always have missed calls because I turn the ringer down or it's on vibrate.
I don't text often usually to my kids or JT when we are traveling.
No one seems to enjoy the art of conversation. My daughter tends to text because she doesn't like to talk on the phone. I don't know why. My other daughter will call and talk to me for hours. (that's when we do bluetooth) because we have things to get done. There are times when she will call and we will each get a cup of tea and sit and chat.
My 4 year old granddaughter called one day and wanted me to come have tea with them. They live a couple of long states away so I told her I would make a pot of tea and we could each have tea while we talked. She loved it!

Marilyn, I think I must have forgotten or didn't realize you joined the henhouse here with the Wildflowers. If I didn't welcome you I apologize.

Oh gosh Erin, I guess Rory is going to keep you on your toes!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2017 :  07:54:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise that is so cute that you drink tea with your daughter and granddaughter over the phone! What a lovely idea.

Alas my pumpkin bread plans are foiled by a lack of sugar! How on earth does this happen? I'm so puzzled about my depleted sugar supply. I have an abundance of brown sugar. Are they substitutable? Is that a word?

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9468 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9468 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2017 :  4:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry you ran into a snag with your pumpkin bread. I think you use less when using brown sugar. Not absolutely sure about that though.
I have been decluttering my kitchen and putting in new shelf liner and such. It took me two days so I didn't get to make pumpkin bread like I had planned the first day. Now I am working on redoing our stairs so I may not get to it until Thanksgiving at this rate!

Problem I have with decluttering is someone always decides they want something but then it sits here until they can get it. I much prefer having it go the same day I am doing it all.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2017 :  10:42:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear you Denise! I've been filling the empty diaper boxes I have with things to donate, and it just seems like even so the clutter is not going away! Maybe I'll really start to notice it when I've filled 50 boxes.

It is a blustery, chilly, rainy day here in Indiana. Very fall!

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9468 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9468 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2017 :  04:34:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love that poem Erin. I always use it on facebook in October.
Today I am getting some laundry and cleaning done before I go play. Play today means shop for some craft items for Christmas things I found on Pinterest.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2017 :  06:18:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise - sounds like the perfect idea for today! I'm waiting to hear from a friend to see if she needs me to come over to help her finish a sewing project today. If not, I have a list a mile long of things I need to get done here. Emi has slowed down in her milk consumption, so I have lots of milk in the fridge right now. Think I'm going to try chèvre again, as well as make more Farmers cheese, mozzarella, and yogurt. Might have hubby make a batch of ice cream tonight as well :) With Jenni soon to be here (less than 5 weeks!!!), I need to wash baby clothes and start getting some things ready! We also need to start preparing more for winter... I need to plant garlic, clear out my garden for next year, finish harvesting the rest of my herbs before they die, and clear the spot for the chicken coop we need to make. I also need to empty my freezers more so that we can get our cow the beginning of next month. And my crafting list is a mile long. Sigh. I'm trying to make the majority of our Christmas gifts... but I'm not sure time will allow it!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2017 :  07:34:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon - it's always sooo good to hear from you! I'm praying for you every day :) We are also making our Christmas gifts this year. Last year was our first "Homemade Christmas" year, and I just loved it!! It's going to be busy, but oh so worth it, I think. We finished out the garden...a couple of plants left like carrots, which we'll take as we need them. Same with the onions. My craft list is growing too...but it's so FUN! I enjoy it. It's my relaxing time! I've just taught myself how to make soap, and I made my second batch on the weekend. Pumpkin Spice...mmmmm!! I'm so excited to be making my own soap!! I hope to make yogurt this week, as I'm now milking my Daisy. Her little girl, Buttercup, loves to give me kisses as I'm milking mama :)

Denise - that IS FUN!! I can hardly wait to start on my craft list. I need to first finish the double wedding ring quilt - it's got one more block left - yay!! I can hardly wait. I'm going to try hand quilt it, but that will be in January on snowy cold days, since I'm trying to heavily hint to my hubby that he should make me a quilting frame for Christmas...heehee ;)

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2017 :  1:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today was a beautiful fall day! It was a little rainy, but slightly chilly. This was the first overcast day that I can remember in a while. Sunshine is wonderful but overcast days feel more like fall... :) It's such a short season, I love to savor it!

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9468 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9468 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2017 :  07:16:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, there always seems to be something waiting to get done when you get home from traveling. I spent yesterday in the laundry room and kitchen getting things caught up again. Laundry still needs put away but I am finishing up the last load this morning. I have been working on Christmas and am almost done. Hoping to be finished by the first week of November so I can relax and enjoy my time with family that are coming. Love, love this time of year.
We are have rain and lots of wind today. The gusts were up to 50 mph per hr in the night. Had to go get my mums and put them back on the front porch. Everything has been okay. We did have the lower part of a rain gutter come off so JT fixed that this morning. I have to go out in it to get groceries. Bleh, not looking forward to that. But the sooner I'm done the sooner I can get back and get the rest of the things done I need to. Also spent some time decluttering and cleaning the big pantry. Feels good to be getting my Fall cleaning done. Still working on the two front rooms. Hoping to be done with ceiling and walls this weekend. Then on to floor and trim. I look forward to being in the big room this winter. We are using it for a library, I think I mentioned that. Have a great day everyone!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2017 :  06:18:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise how do you clean your walls? Or were you talking about painting them? I have some walls that need to be cleaned, but I'm not sure how to do it.

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Welcome Crisp October :) Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page